This Disappears When Logged In

New Rtb

Discussion in 'Common/Red Tail Boa' started by ThatOneguy420, Aug 9, 2013.

1. ThatOneguy420

ThatOneguy420 Active Member

I got the little guy Monday the 29th from a breeder its a Anery/Reverse stripe red tail. The enclosure is just a 15 gallon ziplock rubber made the substrate is like bark I cant remember what type of bark but I got it from petsmart, I am using a infra red heat bulb the hot side gets to 95+ in the day and around 75-82 in the day on the cold side and at night the hot side is around 80-85 and cold is 60-75 at night. I am using digital thermometer's to measure the temps and I have an infra red temp gun to check temperature with too. The humidity is around 60-80 higher in the night and morning and around 75 in the day, I mist one time a day before work I don't have anything to measure the Humidity yet but will have a hygrometer in there soon. Last time I feed him was last wednsday the 31'st and I feed him 2 small frozen thawed hopper mice every 2 weeks I think I should feed him 1 time a week but what do you guys think. Well here is the Boa hope you liked seeing him comment below on what I should add and what to look forward to in the future. Thanks for reading
    ~Thatoneguy

2. norwegn113

norwegn113 Well-Known Member

How many grams does he weigh? its important to keep trackof his weight so that you can see how he is growing. You dont want to grow a RTB too fast but at the same time you definitely dont want a hungry boa on your hands. What are you using for a thermostat? It is important that your heating equipment is run by a thermostat. Your daytime temps are very high for a RTB. boas usually like it just a bit cooler than ball pythons ( hot side 85 - 90 ish)

3. ThatOneguy420

I have no idea I have a scale but its small its for other uses. Thermostats are to expensive and not worth the money imo iv had other reptile fourms say the temp is fine they even like it a bit hotter..
    And I can not upload any pictures because the site is messing up and my laptop is being crummy

4. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

A scale is not necessary. As long as he's eating weekly and the proper size feeders you shouldn't worry.

5. ThatOneguy420

So I should feed weekly for babys? I was going to feed every two last feed was on the 31st you think he is due for another one he still looks chunky from the last food

6. mshrmheadcharge

Every 7-10 days for babies. If he still looks full you can wait ten days. What size feeder did you give him? Has he pooped since you last fed him? That may be why he looks full.

7. ThatOneguy420

He has not pooped I just checked actually and the hopper mice were like 2in long and like 1 in wide maybe a little bigger

8. norwegn113

norwegn113 Well-Known Member

thermostats are not worth the money? Seriously? Ok he is your little guy to cook if you want but I will tell you, I find it a bit odd that you come on the site as a newbie asking questions, then when and experienced person gives you solid advice about improper temps and necessary equipment you turn your nose up? If you dont want to listen to others then why ask? ( the reason I asked about weight is because you didnt post any pics for us to see. You didnt give an age either, then you say well how much should I feed it) it would be helpful to us if we knew how big it was. Typically I start babies out eating every 5-7 days. As they grow I switch to once a week, then once they reach a healthy size 800-1000 grams I feed every two weeks. So now you know!

9. mshrmheadcharge

How many did you feed him? If more then one you should consider upping the size if the mice. Can you post photos of him?

10. mshrmheadcharge

I also agree that the temps will be too hot. With such a small enclosure and little ventilation it can heat up fast.

11. ThatOneguy420

I never said I was a newbie iv done plenty of research and you have not even seen the enclosure he is not cooking if he was he would be trying to get out not go under the heat bulb and his hot hide to warm up. Iv had other breeders and experienced people tell me that the temps are fine, I don't see why I need to buy a thermostat if I have the right temps just does not make sense to waste my money. I am listing to others other people than you iv had more than one person say my enclosure is fine. Also iv been trying to upload pictures But Imgur wont upload the pictures photobucket wont ither and this site wont upload them ither so if you know another picture uploading place I cant get pictures... Its a baby born in may 2013 I couldn't keep any bigger boa in a 15 gallon enclosure.. Alright 5-7 days for feed so you think I should feed again since its friday

Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
  12. ThatOneguy420

two and no I cant my laptop is being crappy and so is the site wont let me upload the pictures,
    also iv checked the temps its 90-95 on the hot side like that's the hottest it gets and on the cold side is 65-75

13. mshrmheadcharge

I would move him up a feeder size and feed just one rather then two. It's ohk if you don't have photos, no big deal :). The temperatures are alright, but you don't want to let it get any hotter. You can feed today,since you last fed him on the 31st.

14. ThatOneguy420

Alright I will try to find a bigger hopper today or move up to small adult mouse. I will keep trying to upload pictures I don't understand why it wont upload the pictures on like any site

15. mshrmheadcharge

Do you have a photobucket account? You can upload them from there to our photo uploader pretty easily.

16. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Since the photo issue is happening on different sites, it may be your photo file or computer that is causing the issue.

17. ThatOneguy420

I found what it was i was using internet explorer :p every thing is solved now that im on firefox

18. ThatOneguy420

DSC01690_zpsd003fffe.jpg
    DSC01689_zps862ddbb7.jpg
    DSC01692_zps3f0d9dd1.jpg
    DSC01682_zpsda8e487b.jpg
    DSC01691_zps0c7a6c37.jpg
    DSC01685_zps8da50e5b.jpg

19. ThatOneguy420

yeah i do it was just i was using the internet explorer

20. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Nice looking little boa! Very clean looking.
    I can say that considering how you have things set up, the snake may just be too warm.
    If you are getting 95 on your probe as it is located, the temperatures under the light are going to be way too hot.