This Disappears When Logged In

New Rosy Boa

Discussion in 'Rosy Boas & Sand Boas' started by Beastie, Apr 18, 2014.

1. Beastie

Beastie Active Member

Hello all, we recently inherited a Rosy boa from a family member who had no idea how to care for a snake. We have owned many reptiles but this is our first Rosy. He/she is very tame and is a fantastic eater, actually he is a pig! I have been doing research and have looked at many different care sheets (including the one on herpcenter) and found a lot of varying information so I just have a few questions to clear up. I know that young Rosy boas should eat pinkies/fuzzies about once a week however I can't find any info on whether or not it is okay to give him more than one per feeding. We fed him last night and I don't think he had been fed in over a week, he took his first pinkie with vigor and seemed to be hunting for more so we gave him a second one which he also took eagerly. Is it okay to give him two small pinkies in one feeding session? Should we give him one pinkie more frequently instead? Should we switch to slightly bigger mice? We are feeding him the frozen pinkies (thawed obviously). I have no idea how old he is but he is pretty small still, I included pictures of him on my hand. Also I was planning to use carefresh bedding as substrate for him since it's cheap, easy to clean, and he can burrow in it. Has anyone had any experience using it? 10168859_10203779660475848_210166180_n.jpg 10261736_10203779659635827_222987203_n.jpg

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Welcome to HerpCenter!
    Pinkies are too small for that snake. What you want to feed is something about the size of or a little bigger around than the width of the snake at its widest point. Judging by the picture it should be either a fuzzy or even a hopper. There should be noticeable lump after feeding.
    And once a week is fine. Feeding smaller meals more frequently will keep the snake's digestive system ramped up and is a stress on their bodies.

3. Beastie

Beastie Active Member

Thanks Merlin, I swear every care sheet I read was different! I was guessing that he should at least be on fuzzies when he gobbled the pinkie down that fast and wanted more.

4. Merlin

You have to keep in mind that anyone can write a caresheet.
    And then someone else copies and pastes it claiming it as theirs!

5. Beastie

Beastie Active Member

Okay I have another question..... It's been a week since we fed him and I was planning on feeding him this evening. However I am not sure whether or not he has actually pooped. He is on the white carefresh bedding and I found a soiled area but it was just stained brown, there was no solid poop evidence. Should I soak him? Should I still feed him?

6. snakenator

snakenator Member

Hey, nice boa! really pretty. I would feed him again. Snakes do not have solid feces like most animals. This is the case with most reptiles. If you see a soiled spot, it means that he did his business. And you don't have to constantly be careful about whether or not he did his business or not before you feed him. It is not an insanely important thing. It is good to check in and make sure he is pooping every week or so.
    BTW, I think this snake has found a good home. It is always a good thing to be too careful with a new pet than not to. Good job.

7. Beastie

Beastie Active Member

Thanks! He was very gracious for his meal, and right before I fed him I actually found a bit of more solid poop with urates in his enclosure. :)

8. Merlin

Actually they do. My big boa leaves "presents" that would rival my black Lab!
    Runny feces can signal possible problems.

9. NoahGotHerpsDewd

NoahGotHerpsDewd Well-Known Member

My snakes feces are pretty solid, my ball python craps way bigger then most cats do!

10. Beastie

Beastie Active Member

I did find a solid poop before feeding him again.