This Disappears When Logged In

New Retic... Help!!!!

Discussion in 'Reticulated Pythons' started by themourningstar, Feb 8, 2013.

1. lexiilish

lexiilish Elite Member

i taped clingwrap to the top of my screen lid to hold on humidity. itll do for now till we build my red tail a custom tank. but just remember this snake gets huge. and not many universities and zoos will take any more of them because of so many people get them then cant handle or afford their feed and dump them on zoos vet schools or universities. so people turn to dumping them in the wild. like the burm problem in florida. not many people want to buy a snake thats 20 feet long and weighs 150 pounds of pure muscle. i just really hope you understand what you just jumped into with both feet.

2. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

Basically. Good luck if you have questions, don't hesitate to pm me. I can be blunt. I apologize for that. Hazard of my paying job. However, I do have Large snakes as I am one of the few who will foster them for the rescue locally. I can and will help as much as I'm able. Main thing now is to get heat and humidity correctly and leave him/her alone to acclimate. Good start already with the feed day after.

It may help to put Large leather gloves on and take it out to feed. That way it will eventually learn your hand doesn't mean food. ( for changing water, etc) It's ok now (small bites) but when it gets huge it could hurt you really bad.

Start planning a big enclosure. I use 8x4x4 cages custom built out of wood and plexiglass. You'll almost need a cow trough for water (joking, kinda) If you feed correctly it has potential to get big, fast. My burm Chiquita is 7 years and 14 ft, 52 pounds if that gives you an idea.

Lexi, its funny you mention gators. Were setting up a tank, and building a pool almost in basement for dwarf caiman this summer. Enclosing that in glass. Lol. They only get 5 ft max. I'm stoked. Thank god my basement has multiple locks on it.

3. themourningstar

themourningstar Active Member

Wow, lots of good advice here, and thanks to all who provided it- even the blunt advice. ;)

The snake- Tiger has actually been very gentle. (And Im a guy for the record. Not a she. xD) After I fed him, he was riled up, and struck the glass AFTER I put him back in his aquarium- he didnt strike me when I pulled him out his feedertub or anything. I have been holding him for an hour or two every once in awhile. He is really hyperactive though, he moves CONSTANTLY. He hasnt been mean or ever made me think he was going to strike though.

The cage- I built a custom lid for it yesterday. One escape was enough. It's 21 in wide by 6ft long, and sits ontop of the aquarium. I put in a door at one end (with two locks lol), and built in a metal grate at the other end to place his lights on (It's a barbeque gril insert from home depot). It's not perfect.. Yet. But it'll work for now (I realized after having to take the whole lid off to get his water bucket that I should of just made the part with the grill a second door).
    Im going to cover both sides and the back of the tank with black poster board, so he won't see as much movement, and Im going to hang a curtain rod and some short black curtains in the front so I can open and close it as needed (Tiger is actually in my dining room, so I am thinking I will need to stop him from looking outside so much- and some people might not want him watching them eat lol).

After reading all of the posts about how big the snakes are, Ive decided not to take in the 9ft burmese either... Im comfortable with Tiger, and I think it'll be best for me to adjust WITH him while he grows, than to just adjust TO one that is already huge.

Also.. My normally languid and lazy ball python has become a lot more adventuresome since I got Tiger.. I "wear" her around my neck most of the day when Im home, and she usually just sits there as long as I'll let her. Whenever I get near Tiger's cage though, she immediately starts stretching out towards it.. I let her ontop of the lid and she actually tried to get inside with him. xD

Tjohnson.. No hard feelings, at all. I know you are an experienced owner- I've looked at several of your posts in the habitat constructions in preparation for building my own- and I know this is a potential problem.. Look at Florida. :/
    Again- thanks for all the advice.

Oh- Id add pix of all this, but I cant seem to make this site like my pix :/

One comment I forgot to reply to- I didnt SEE the 10 gallon container that they said they had him in, but the picture they had of him had him in a large hermit crab cage.. And that's what they gave him to me in. I had a tub Id bought for him to feed in ready thankfully, because he looked like one of those kitten in a bottle pictures. :c He was also supposed to of only been 3 ft long.. Then I took him out and he was longer than I am tall. xD

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

LOL! I suspect that it is your username!
    Not everyone knows what a "mourning star" is!

5. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

I have no idea what a mourning star is. Sorry about that. Thanks though. We've actually made some large cages I might add a thread about the big cages for the big boys. They're not painted or pretty but they'll be sturdy as all get out. They would have to tear down my floor and concrete block basement wall to break these things bc they're attached to the wall.

Either way, if you need any thing let us or me know.

I add pictures through the herp center app on my Android phone. There's a picture and film roll next to it. It's super easy.

6. skelly98

skelly98 Elite Member

Yes, what exactly is a "mourning star"?

7. justor

justor Elite Member

Not sure if it's the same reference, but in astronomy a "morning star" is a planet which appears in the east just before the sun rises, usually Venus.

8. justor

justor Elite Member

Also, a google search reveals that it could be refering to a native american chief...

9. justor

justor Elite Member

Gotta love wikipedia lol.

"A morning star is any of several medieval club-like weapons that included one or more spikes. Each used, to varying degrees, a combination of blunt-force and puncture attack to kill or wound the enemy."

Alright I'm done. >:)

10. skelly98

skelly98 Elite Member

After looking at a few google images pictures, that would be a cool thing to have hanging from my bedroom wall >:) of course, mom would never go for it... >:)

11. themourningstar

To clear up the confusion... Isaiah 14:12 "How art thou fallen from Heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning!..." The name Lucifer translates to "Morning Star". Look it up on the Almighty Wikipedia. xD
    The king James version says Lucifer, most others say morning star........... Annnnnnnnnd, if you go look at Rev 22:16 Jesus calls himself the morning star.. So, there you go. (Im not a christian, religion just interests me.)
    The name just amused me. :p

12. Merlin

However, the difference in spelling makes all the difference. "Morning" star as opposed to "Mourning" Star. LOL
    The latter is a very nasty weapon from medieval times!

Think spiked mace!

13. themourningstar

Oh, I know. Im an avid geek, most rpg's have them.. I just preferred that way of spelling it. I think it's spelled "morningstar" for the weapon though. Hmm yeah, google is showing it "morningstar". Mourningstar is pulling up a neat looking comic series though. :D

14. Merlin

You may be right. I had always seen the weapon spelled as mourning, based on the incredible amount of damage it would do when struck by one.

15. themourningstar

Well, I finally met the reticulated python yall described. :l The snake I first got was gentle and sweet and curious.... Then he got lose. I s2g, this snake disappeared for THREE DAYS. I just found him this morning, UNDERNEATH MY REFRIDGERATOR.

Getting him out from under it was an epic battle.

Now he's super grouchy, snapping at me randomly and stuff. I'm keeping him in his feedtub for now (one of the huge sterilites... like 4 ft long 2 high and wide), hoping he will calm down. He will let me pet him, but he is really jumpy and keeps snapping like at random it seems. He let me pick him up for awhile, but I put him in the bathtub to wash him (ugh he stank bad lol), and he is all evil again.
    This is temporary right?? I mean, Im going to be able to get him back to being docile and nice and sweet again if Im patient with him??
    (Ftr- I realize this behaviour is EXACTLY what I was warned about.)

16. Zappa230

Zappa230 Elite Member

You know they get 18+ feet and 100+ pounds, correct? Get ready to convert an entire room for him, and feed him rabbits or something.

17. themourningstar

He is calmer this morning... I held him for around 30 minutes. Still leery of him a bit, but he seems to be going back to his normal self...

18. Merlin

When they get out for a bit it's almost like they go wild.
    My male cornsnake got out once (grandkids!) and even though I had had him for years and he had never been aggressive, when I recaptured him, he struck at me.

19. themourningstar

20. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

Just a note to add. Rats are illegal here, I talked to my Vet about wanting them and wondered if I got one neutered if it would be allowed(yep I want one as a pet that bad!). He told me has has rats that come in to the clinic for treatment, but he said he believes in patient confedentality. He won't report people who take care of their pets, even if the animals are not allowed.

Since he was snappy after eating, how big was the prey compaired to him? He was probley still in feeding mode. A 6 foot retic can probley down large rats with no issue.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013