This Disappears When Logged In

New Reptile?

Discussion in 'Lizards - General' started by LoveReptiles, Jul 28, 2014.

1. LoveReptiles

LoveReptiles Active Member

I would like to get another lizard. I love 'em! I absolutely adore my beardie. He's exactly what I look for in a lizard.
    But I'm thinking about getting something more...exotic. I'd like to upgrade my experience, but I'm looking for something I can handle regularly.
    I'd like a lizard similar to the *size* of an adult bearded dragon. Maybe something with unique/vibrant colors.
    And most importantly, something that would be comfortable in a 55 gallon or a 40 gallon long terrarium. I was thinking about an Ornate Uromastyx. Any other suggestions?

2. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

Maybe look into a leopard gecko or a crested gecko

3. LoveReptiles

I'm not a huge fan of geckos. I have a leopard gecko, and it doesn't have a big personality like my beardie. I also like lizards a bit larger. Bearded dragon sized or larger. :) But for now, bearded dragon sized.

4. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

since you have a background in reptiles, have you looked into dwarf monitors or even savannah monitors? I mean they wont fit well or do at all well in a 55 gallon tank but your options are very slim.......

5. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

The "Dog Tame" Bearded Dragon is hard to match, especially in the 55-40gal range. Blue Tonged Skink would be close and they are personable to a point... but not BD smart.

6. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

Well she said something with vibrant colors that will fit in a 40-55 gallon tank that is big in personality..... There is really nothing as such......

7. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Your main problem in filling what you asked for is that a 55 is just not suitable for the size lizard your talking about. Not really big enough for a bearded dragon. Too narrow. Now if your willing to open the cage size up to something like 4×2×2, the options open up some, but you'll be hard pressed to find anything personable like a beardie.

8. A Chinese Water Dragon is an idea. I have 4 and they're great. more skittish than a beardie but still very handleable. The Males can get to 2 feet but they stay slender, and can have some cool green/black markings. But being tropical the demands of the enclosure are more than a desert animal like the bearded dragon.

9. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

I would say get a bigger cage and do your research.... I would say to look into a dwarf monitor if you want to stay with smaller sized lizards..... But if you want a bigger one is say look into a savannah monitor....

10. LoveReptiles

I've looked into the red ackie. They sound great, but I'd need a larger enclosure. I don't have the space at the moment.

I am interested in blue tongue skinks. Though I would like something a bit more colorful..... I think I may be asking for too much.

Hmm. I was simply curious. Have you heard of the Uromasyx? I was told by someone that they are good pet lizards.

Understood. I'm not expecting to find anything with a personality as big as a beardie's. I just don't want something that will do whatever it can to escape from me or attack me.
    And I understand that the tank size is a bit odd. Maybe an 18'' wide 75 gallon would make it easier?

Oh, they are gorgeous! And I also understand that the enclosure needs are much different and measure up to much more. What size would be suitable for one? 6' tall, 4' long, 4' wide?

I'm going to stick with smaller lizards for now. In the future, I'd like to have an Argentine black and white Tegu, or an Iguana.
    Right, the 55 gallon is sort of odd... long and narrow, as Darkbird commented.

I could buy a 75 gallon. I know they are wider. Do you think that would be more suitable?

11. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

I have heard of Uros before and yes they are awesome lizards and hat is why I said a dwarf monitor.... They stay on the smaller side as well....

12. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

That would help, but the cash for a 75 would cover most of the cost of the materials of building a nice 4×2×2. So I would really go the DIY route if you can. Even with a tank your going to end up needing/wanting to make a custom lid anyway.

13. LoveReptiles

I've found some pretty cheap ones. I see what you're saying, but my goal was to have two tanks (same size) on the same stand, one on top of the other (to save space). But I've also found custom enclosures with a similar set-up, they're just more costly. I'd have to look further into it.
    Thank you!

14. LoveReptiles

Are dwarf monitors one lizard, or is it a variety of small monitors?

15. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

They are a variety of lizards that are like the ackies and Timor monitors....

16. LoveReptiles

Oh! I'm very interested in the Jeweled Lacerta. Gorgeous lizards! Does anybody have any info on these?

- - - Updated - - -

Ahh. Sorry, didn't realize. Just Googled it.

17. AvidLebon

AvidLebon Banned User

Uromastyx are very cute. If I were to get another leopard it would be between a Uro and a Tegu. Mostly because Tegu are so friendly. Uromastyx aren't impossible to find, and they also get big, and are adorable. I'm sure you'll research whatever you choose for sure as their environmental and dietary needs are unique.

18. Micael13900

Micael13900 Active Member

I absolutely love tegus. When mine gets bigger i might just let him roam my room. Not saying its a fantastic idea, but tegus are the closest thing to what you suggested, with the only difference being size. If you do want a lizard for it's temperament, your not gonna do much better than the lizard that craves human interaction.

19. lizardhoarder139

lizardhoarder139 Elite Member

My vote is a water dragon, I've had my girl for almost 9 years and I love her to death. She loves being held and is very tame.
    They are gorgeous lizards and get the size you are looking for. The only thing is, the 55 gal has to go. It's way too narrow for a lizard the size you are looking for.
    And the other problem is that yes, the water dragon needs a big enclosure. The measurements you have are perfect, you can even go alittle smaller in my opinion, but not much. :)