This Disappears When Logged In

New Plants, Should I Plant Them?

Discussion in 'Tropical Plants' started by HerpFanatic, Mar 13, 2012.

1. HerpFanatic

HerpFanatic Elite Member

So so I have never put real plants in any of my tanks. Tonight I bought two Schefflera, one Pothos, and one Creeping Ficus. They are for our new girl Kate: http://www.herpcenter.com/water-dragons/40485-sick-chinese-water-dragon-questions.html She deserves it, plus it will help keep the humidity up in her tank. She is not allowed nothing in her cage to climb on right now, so it gives me time to shower them off for a few days.

My question is, Should I plant them in plantation soil right in her tank?
    Or do I leave them in the pots they came in. I kind of want to just plant them in her tank. So it looks more natural then pots sitting in there.

2. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

I would plant them in pots for easy cleaning and watering.

3. jarich

jarich Elite Member

Sorry if you have covered this in another thread, but what is your substrate like? Is it just plantation soil or is there something mixed with it. Do you have a layer of pebbles or sand or anything under that? How deep is the plantation soil?

If you have a good depth of soil, (and its not just straight plantation soil) and some form of drainage under that, then you should be okay to plant them directly. If you like I can give you some basics in setting it up. Its pretty easy actually, especially with those plants. However, if any of those criteria aren't there then I would recommend simply burying the pot into the soil. You can mound the soil so that you don't even see the pot, that way its natural looking. Otherwise the plants will most likely die unfortunately.

4. HerpFanatic

HerpFanatic Elite Member

I plan a layer of pebbles for drainage. then some potting soil mixed with plantation soil. They the final layer of Strait plantation soil.

Mind you the plants are very small still.

5. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

you will want to wash your plants beforehand, and remove as much of the soil as you can from them, as many come with several additives in the soil, which can be an issue. If you have the means, go ahead and plant them directly. I have live plants directly in the substrate of several of my tanks (though not my CWD) and they work out great.

6. jarich

jarich Elite Member

Oh cool, sounds like you are still in the planning phase? If that's the case then I'd recommend adding a couple things. Start of with the layer of pebbles like you mentioned. Then on top of that do a layer of activated charcoal. Once you've got those down, put fiberglass screen all across the top of that before adding your soil (it'll keep the soil from sifting down into your pebbles over time). Then your soil mixture on top and your good. By the sounds of it you've probably already done the research and know all this anyway.

The only worry with planting directly in the soil, even with the small plants, is keeping the soil evenly moist. Those plants you've got don't require any restrictions around root structure so it should be no problem for them to expand into the substrate. So as long as you keep all the soil moist and give it good light, they'll take off nicely for you. I've got live plants in every enclosure. They look great and make the air quality so much better.

7. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

I have planted pothos in both the tokays tank and the CWD tank. Jarich covered it pretty good :) It sure looks nice and they are growing like weeds :)