This Disappears When Logged In

New Pet-Help!

Discussion in 'Salamanders & Newts' started by avagaddis, May 12, 2014.

1. avagaddis

avagaddis Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,

So my little Leopard Gecko is dying:(:(:( He is still not eating any live or solid food..and he sometimes spits out the slurry mix. He is so thin now, he literally looks like a walking skeleton. I cannot take him to the vet, and he is pretty much a goner:( I tried my best to help him, but it's the circle of life. I hate seeing him suffer, but i cant bear the thought of putting him down!

Anyway, since i will soon be losing a beloved pet, my mom agreed to let my use his old 15 gallon tank for some fire bellied newts!!:) I already have a rough skinned newt, so i have experience with them. I will be keeping them in the 15 gallon, and i want to do half water half land, but i'm still figuring it out. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make a nice looking half land, half water tank???? if not, i will just buy a floating turtle dock like i have for my rough skinned newt. I will probably buy two or three newts..is that too much for a 15 gallon? Also any other advice is greatly appreciated:)

-Ava:)

2. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Well, if you can't afford to take your animals to the vet you should hold off on buying more until you can get them the proper medical care they need.
    Can you give a rundown of your Leo's setup? Temps, lighting, type of thermometer you are using, substrate, and number of hides?

3. avagaddis

Oh, i can afford the vet care for the leo, its just that the nearest reptile vet is VERY far away, and i think he is very sick so i don't know if they'll be able to help much. His setup is: a 15 gallon tank, under tank heating pad and light (temps around 89-90), paper towel substrate, three hides one humid, one rock and one plastic, a water bowl changed each day, a food bowl of mealworms just in case, and a few plastic plants and rocks. I will try to help him more if you have any advice! Thanks for the reply:)

-Ava

4. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, how are you measuring the temps and humidity?
    These animals usually don`t suddenly lose all condition and die very quickly, how long has the lizard been like this, and can you put a few photos up of the setup and Gecko?

5. avagaddis

Hi, I have an under tank heat pad and the temps are around 89-90. I measure them using a ZooMed analog thermometer. And i have had him for about 3 months now. I got him from a breeder at an annual animal expo. When i first got him from the breeder his tail was fat and he was full of color. Just a few weeks ago he lost some color and i dull looking, and his tail is so thin i cant even explain!:( I can out some pictures up later when i get out of school. He stopped eating a month ago altogether, and spits up the slurry mix i used to give him every day. I still give him it though, to keep him alive. I think he may have some sort of stomach infection or maybe parasites, but i'm not sure. Thanks for the reply:):)

-Ava:)

6. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi again, the analogue thermometers can be quite inaccurate (15%+), therefore you/we have no idea what the actual temps are (or the humidity), in which case this may be the reason the lizard isn`t eating, and forced feeding is an absolute last resort. You need a digital hygrometer with a probe, that will measure both ambient (air) and surface temps plus the humidity. I believe you can buy them from Walmart for around $12 U.S. Can you get one asap (today)?

7. mshrmheadcharge

I second the digital thermometer/hydrometer. The brand at W-Mart is called Accurite, and is $12.
    I still think you should refrain from buying new reptiles until you find a vet you can bring them to, if money isn't the issue than this really shouldn't be too difficult. Have you checked out our vet finder? Reptile Vet Finder
    It's terrible that your Leo is so sick. It could be because of inaccurate temps, or humidity or stress. But it could also be something not so easily recognizable.
    My advice is to get the recommended thermometer and check the vet finder link I provided.

8. avagaddis

Im sorry I made a mistake! My old thermometer was the analog thermometer for another reptile! I'm sorry for the inconvienience! For my leopard gecko I use a digital hydrometer and the brand is called Taam I think. And thanks so much mshrmheadcharge for the vet finder! I will look and see if I can find one in my area! I do think his condition is due to something unrecognizable though, because he was totally fine and healthy a month ago before this all began.:( I'll do some research and see if I can find a vet for him

Thanks again,
    -Ava

9. avagaddis

I checked on the Vet Finder, and there aren't any that are even remotely close to my area. The closest one is all the way across from where I live, and would take so long to get to:( I'll keep updating you guys on his health, but its very depressing to watch the little guy suffer:( Thanks for the replies:) You really are a great help!
    -Ava

10. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

11. avagaddis

12. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

That's what I was afraid of. I don't care what they are calling it, that is not a digital thermometer. A digital thermometer would be like this
    Digital Thermometer with Temperature Sensor Probe 00888
    Those strips are designed around a tank full of water. They are useless for reptiles because they measure the temperature of the glass wall, not the temperature in the tank.
    Think about touching an outside window in your home in the dead of winter. That is not the temperature in the house itself.

13. avagaddis

Thanks so much, Merlin! I just went out and bought a digital one with a probe:) I hope this helps him! Thanks so much!
    Now i at least will know which one to use for my leo:)
    -Ava

14. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

Yeah the analog ones are junk, I think they are just meant to suck the money out of the pockets of the novice and impulsive buyers.... if you (not saying you don't) care for your Leo you would go out of your way to get him to a vet to get better.... at least I would for my iguana.... I say to get him to the closest reptile vet asap and get the atmosphere in your Leo's enclosure correct with the right thermometer and hygrometer...... but don't just leave him suffer.... if you feel there is nothing you can do... then find someone who can.....

15. avagaddis

Thanks for the reply:) And I do care for him very much, its just that the nearest vet is very very far away. But I just called the one neares to me and explained the condition of my leo, and the vet said that there were many other similar cases, and to just keep force feeding the slurry mix but add a bit more pedialyte to strengthen him up. This didn't sound like much to me,and not much expertise...but ill add more pedialite and see how he handles it. Thanks for the response, and if you have any more suggestions/advice, it would be greatly appreciated:) Thanks again,

-Ava

16. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

It may be time to try and find someone who can better help him.... someone who has more advanced knowledge then you have.... just a thought.....

17. avagaddis

Thank you for the advice, and I agree, if I cannot take care of him any longer, I will find someone who can. However, I just fed him the slurry mix, and he actually licked it off the spoon without me needing to dab it on his mouth. He also ate two crickets which is very unlikely of him, so I think he may be doing better:) Thanks

18. mshrmheadcharge

How are the temps and humidity looking? Did you measure what they were when you put the digital thermometer in?

19. avagaddis

Thanks for the reply. the temp on the hot side is now at 91 degrees fahrenheit.

20. mshrmheadcharge

Hey, your'e welcome! Hopefully this will make a difference in your Leo's health. Do you know what the temps were when you first checked? How different were they compared to the other thermometer you were using?