This Disappears When Logged In

New Owner/stressed

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by Newbie2017, Feb 24, 2017.

1. Newbie2017

Newbie2017 New Member

First off, sorry for the long post.
    Recently got a beautiful 5 month old Pastel Leopard female from a breeder in my city. I chose her because she is very inquisitive and is always tasting the air. She is very sweet and never balls up or seems afraid. I took her home and put her in the setup I have which is 20 gallon tank. I know that isn't the greatest setup possible but I have UTH regulated by a thermostat and and over tank light source. Hot side at 88-90 and cold side at 79-83. I've also got the humidity sitting at a steady 65%. There are two identical hides on either side, yes they are log hides BUT one entrance is up against glass and covered in moss so there's really only one entrance each. Also have a skull hide in the middle of the tank. Anyways, my problem is that she isn't interested in any of the hides and rarely even looks in them. She has been relentlessly climbing the tank trying to escape. Whether it is day or night she only cares about climbing to the top. She pretty much takes naps, wakes up and continues on her mission no matter what time it is. I don't think it's a temperature problem because I've caught her sleeping on top of her hides on either side, as well as on the fake plants on either side. Its only been three days since I've had her and I haven't held her except once when I was changing the water bowl and she tried to escape. Also when she sleeps it's usually stretched out. She's isn't afraid enough to hide and just sleeps wherever she tires out.
    Just hoping someone can tell me she will eventually chill out and relax. Hate to see her so stressed out.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2017
  2. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Doesn't sound too far out of the norm for a new acquisition. They will spend a lot of time exploring the cage, and I'd actually consider that to be a good sign. Most new balls will usually go right to a hide and stay there for a week or two, at least during the day, sounds as if you may have gotten one of the more outgoing ones. I will point out though, unless the glass is covered where the log hides are against it, the snake will still consider it open. They like the hides to be as dark and tight fitting as possible.

3. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

It sounds like a normal adjustment period to me! I wouldn't worry :) congrats on your new friend!

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

A new snake's first priority....
    See if there are any escape routes that the human has overlooked.
    And they WILL FIND it.

Darkbird likes this.
  5. Newbie2017

Newbie2017 New Member

Went out and got some new hides today. She stuck her head in a couple times which is better than the other hides but she still doesn't feel like going in them yet I guess. Decided to see if she was hungry and she was haha hopefully now that she's eaten she will want to hide.