This Disappears When Logged In

New Offical Rat Snake Owner!

Discussion in 'Ratsnakes' started by Brewster320, May 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brewster320

Brewster320 Elite Member

I know technically corn snakes are rat snakes but today I got my first offical "True" ratsnake! Today I was at a very small expo at a wild life center and I was only planning on grabbing some supplies but I ended up getting drawn to these little rat snakes a vendor was selling. He had all 2008's and one of their parents (to show how some will look). They were American rat snake intergrades(Black X Yellow X Grey), and were 5th generation from a certain locale. The adult was very mellow! More laid back then most corns I've held and was pretty big too, in the 6ft range. Even the 08's for sale were pretty mellow compared to young corns. I ended up getting this little male who I think has a greenish rat snake look to him. He's 34grams and 18.5" long. he is also het. black rat albino and the vendor showed me one of his albino siblings that he was actually holding back. Although because it has albino genetics in it I'm guessing he bred an albino black rat into the line some where down the line. Would this make it not a true intergrade now or is it still an intergrade and can be labled as so? Thanks for the help. Enjoy!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

I don't know about whether or not it is a true intergrade but that is an interesting looking snake. With so many different types of rat snake combined together the genetics would be very confusing in and of itself.

3. Brewster320

Brewster320 Elite Member

Ya it is very interesting I think also. You're right about the genetics being confusing. For now I don't think I will be breeding it to anything, it's going to be more of a personable pet as it more mellow then a lot of my snakes so far. If I do breed it I will not breed it back to a pure rat snake in order to avoid confusion but most likely to my female jungle corn. I know a lot of people don't like hybrids but I think it could make some interesting looking offspring. But for now I don't think I'll be breeding it.

4. David McConley

That's probably a good idea not to breed it right away. If you do breed it I would LOVE to see a picture of the offspring. Also, if you do breed it make sure that you inform any potential buyer about the complete interbreeds of the parents. As you said some people may not care for hybrids or "mutts", but then again some may not care at all. Good luck with your new young one, and thank you for the chance to comment on it.

5. David McConley

Oh yeah, I forgot- I know you won't be breeding it any time soon. You'll have to wait for it to mature, LOL.

6. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

What a cute face! :)

7. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

Congrats on your new addition. I love those beautiful big eyes.:D

8. agama3000

agama3000 Elite Member

beautiful snake

9. Murder Serpent

Murder Serpent Elite Member

Breed him to whatever you want! It's A free country!

Would you care if I bred a chihuahua to a great dane?

10. David McConley

Murder Serpent- The issue is not about his ability to breed it to whatever he wants, the issue is about being able to potentially sell the offspring when the results of the breeding come about. A lot of people prefer to keep the distinct localities of the snakes recognizeable and the many different genetic lines of the offspring may discourage potential buyers. That is why I told him to give full disclosure to future buyers when/if he does breed it. This is just good business practice. That being said I think it would be a good "dinking" snake, the type you may want to use in different breeding projects just for fun to see what comes from it.(You probably already knew what I meant from "dinking" so I mean no offense to you- I simply explained it for someone who may be new to the reptile breeding game).

Personally, I hope if he does breed it, he will post pics so I can see what he got. It may be the next big thing for ratsnake enthusiasts.

11. Brewster320

Brewster320 Elite Member

Oh I will, I'm just don't want to cross him into pure lines because of the offspring possibly looking pure. Also I have some more pictures of him that are better then the first few I posted.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And here is a picture of his future mate most likely. I don't think I've posted her picture on here yet. This is Zephora the 08 Jungle Corn.
    [​IMG]

12. Ace

Ace Elite Member

They are both so cute!

13. Piano Man

Piano Man Elite Member

Those are both beautiful snakes.

14. fiona

fiona Active Member

Very nice looking snake - very cute! :)

15. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

beautiful snakes.

16. David McConley

She's a real beauty. Hmm, may be an interesting pairing, definitely worth possibly persuing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.