This Disappears When Logged In

New MVB Good but Has Issues, Any Ideas? (pics)

Discussion in 'Habitat Lighting' started by Geo7809, Feb 3, 2011.

1. Geo7809

Geo7809 Elite Member

I purchased a Solar Brite 100w MVB last week. Its UV output is great but its only good directly under the bulb, if you even move a few inches to the side the UVB reading goes to zero. There is NO frosting on this lense which i find strange. Is there a cheap spray i can put on it to disperse the UVB or should i just get rid of it?

P.S. i noticed my bearded dragon wasnt laying under it much and when i put the powersun back in she went right back under it.

Attached Files:

2. Spyral

Spyral Elite Member

I know the brand wasn't recommended several years ago, but I haven't heard anything recently about it. You might try asking over at the UVB Meter Yahoo Group on whether you can coat it yourself.

Good luck!

3. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Maybe the temperature got too hot, what was the basking temp?

4. Geo7809

Geo7809 Elite Member

The basking temp was 113f. She seems to like lower uv I think.

5. Spyral

Spyral Elite Member

I've had an instance of photo-kerato conjunctivitis from a bad UVB bulb (the debacle from October '09) so am really wary of UVB bulbs now. If it doesn't look right, or if your beardie doesn't like it, you may not want to use it.

6. Dominick

Dominick Founding Member

Take it away. If the Beardie is moving away from it, something is not right. Beware of the risk of PKC already mentioned.

You cannot frost the bulb yourself based on what I know about the lamps and their manufacturing. The "frosting" is actually an etching in the glass done from inside the envelope (bulb). So it's not something you can do.

Take the bulb back for a refund and find another lamp.

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I agree. If it isn't right,...it isn't right!
    Anything that you sprayed on the glass would just block out the light.

8. Geo7809

Geo7809 Elite Member

I took it out and put the powersun back in. I'm waiting on my Mega rays to come in, its been 3 months now. I guess the batch they got in had a bad coating on the bulb so im waiting on the batch from Germany to arrive. Thank God I got a solarmeter, what a help that is. Thanks for the advise guys!

9. Dominick

Dominick Founding Member

I hear the shipment of Mega Rays has arrived. So, hopefully it's not too much longer you have to wait.

10. Geo7809

Geo7809 Elite Member

Cool thank God for that they told me I should receive it some time in Feb. It took me weeks to get through. Jimmy has some personal issues that's why its been tough to get through. Thanks for the Mega Ray update Dominick!

11. Spyral

Spyral Elite Member

I ordered my MegaRay in September and it didn't get here until early January (after the latest shipment got in). Hopefully yours will be on its way soon!

12. mld

I hope your MegaRay comes soon!

13. Geo7809

Geo7809 Elite Member

Lol that's crazy Spyral! According to Jimmy at ReptileUV there's been a lot of personal issues some of the guys have been going through last year so hopefully they have a better year.

14. mld

I'm hoping to get one soon, which one did you order, and what size is your tank?

15. Geo7809

Geo7809 Elite Member

I ordered the 100w. My tank is 18in tall, 48 wide, and 24 deep. She got a basking bridge that she lays on so she's about 14in from the light.

16. mld

I'll wait till you get it and see how it works out, my enclosure
    is 55"long x 24"wide by 26"high. I don't want it to be too hot on the basking spot, just about 105 degrees is good for me. Keep us updated when you get it.

17. Geo7809

Geo7809 Elite Member

Definitly go with the 160w. If the basking spot is 18in or higher

18. mld

Really, I'm just so nervous that it will get too hot, whats the min. distance for the 160w?

19. Geo7809

Geo7809 Elite Member

18in is the minimum. Will the bulb be inside the enclosure or on top? What reptile is it for?

20. mld