This Disappears When Logged In

New Monitor Habitat on the Go

Discussion in 'General Construction' started by kriminaal, Jan 10, 2009.

1. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

Did you put the lights in the new enclosure? Where is the photos.:p

He looks very healthy.;)

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi Mike, I`m wondering if 2x 160watts might be better, because I normally use the 275w. Megaray, plus 2x160 powersuns or similar, and my temps. are similar to what you will need, .... The left side of my tank is where the pool is, so it`s a little cooler around that area ;mid 80s.F. To approx. 90f. or so on the other end... and the 275w. M.R. in the centre.
    You could try this: Put 2 x100watt Megarays at each side for the two basking spots, and a 100w. infra-red or ceramic in the middle, the temps. of course will be raised the higher in the tank the animals climb... which is what you need for tristis, and so obviously, closer to the floor level will be lower...... You don`t necessarily need different temps. from left to right....in your case it`s higher and lower area`s that have the temp. gradient. I`m sure this would be the easiest way to work it...

3. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

I like your central heating idea.
    Here's a pic so far.
    I have a higher basking area and a lower one. I figured without the lower one the heat would come down far enough.
    I have a 100 watt on the lower one and a 175 watt halogen on the upper. The upper one is on a dimmer as the 175 put the basking area 178+.
    [​IMG]

4. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

That looks excellent Mike, and the tank set-up looks great from what I can see...I`m presuming you will either use Powersuns or Megarays? and how have you done the hides?
    Stefan

5. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Mike, are you still looking for a hollow cork log? There is usually a guy selling them at our reptile show. I could ship it. Cork isn't heavy so it won't run much, other than for the size.

6. kriminaal

Stefan, I have more branches going in yet and fake leaves and such to create more of a visual barrier. As well as more bark
    I'm still thinking of how to do the hides. Probably try to incorporate some bark pieces into it.
    I also need to make the nesting box to go on the bottom left side. It will be heated from below.
    I'm starting to lean away from the UVB lights. I don't see a way to get the basking areas close enough and yet maintain proper temps without using dimmers. Since dimmers can't be used on MVB, that's a big issue.
    I know you're an advocate of these bulbs, but I can't see incorporating them into it so that are are beneficial at all.

Liz, I found one hollow cork piece. $30. Ouch.
    I don't want (can't) to spend anymore on those inflated costly things.

7. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Mike I`m not sure what you mean about not getting the basking sites near enough? if you use the 2 M-R or powersuns, you WILL get high enough temps for basking.... The distance is as close/far as you make it...or what about a 160 powersun for the long-distance area and a 100w. for the higher spot...as I said you can supplement with a small wattage infra-red? Are the lights adjustable, if yes, you put them wherever the animals seem to spend the most time....My ornatus has his "favourite" spots, I`m sure your monitors will too. ( I mean "favourite" branch/area)
    P.S. They ARE beneficial, because of the diameter of the actual UVB "cone" emmited, they don`t HAVE to be the actual "basking spots" to reach the animals...

8. kriminaal

Sorry, what I meant was they would be too warm.
    When I used the 100 watt, the temps were only 105 F.
    For the 175 watt, the temps were 175F+ .
    Then there's the issue of the UVB being too close as well.
    I don't have enough ceiling height to keep the upper light fixture on top of the enclosure.

9. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

$30 is actually a good price. There is a guy who sells giant pieces ( 2 feet wide by 4 feet long) for $120!!!!

10. kriminaal

There's some videos on youtube of a guy in Sweden showing his monitors. He actually has hollow cork trees.
    They look amazing, but I'm sure $$$$$$

11. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Now I know what you mean, here`s my answer: 2x 100w. megaray.... PLUS as I`ve already said 2x40w. infra red to bring the "hot-spot" temps. up... Mike, you NEED to use the best illumination available, tristis are not difficult animals to breed, but still a lot harder than acanthurus....all the most experienced scientists recommend the very best quality lights for varanids. Don`t guess, by using only supplements..

12. kriminaal

Smart idea. Putting other bulbs beside to bring the surface temps up.

13. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I think it will work....it`s difficult for you, it`s easy to make one hot-spot, but to try and get two, and get high temps. in just these areas, without going too high in the rest of the tank....My 100w. infra-red is only around 7 or 8inches away from my 275w. megaray,but it just gives me a hot-spot of around 110f. and that would be fine for the tristis...(or a little higher).

14. kriminaal

So here(finally) is the mostly completed enclosure.
    I say mostly because I'll be tweaking things as time goes by.
    img_1133.jpg

Attached Files:

15. teach920

teach920 Subscribed User Premium Member

You did a really good job.......It looks great!!!! (and I can relate to the time factor...I still have my own enclosure from May that I am working on...the one in which I just KNEW it would be done before winter :D ...oh well,guess thats why it's called a work in progress;) )
    Again, you did a really good job, and it LOOKS GREAT!!!!!

Connie

16. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi Mike, it`s a real credit to you, I`m really pleased you`ve finally been able to get it finished, the whole thing is excellent I`m really impressed, and I`m certain the tristis will feel right at home, but if not, I`ll come and live in there! (Promise) Well done! By the way, can you show a couple of close-up shots, and what are the hides made from, and how are the temps working out?

17. kriminaal

More pics? Okay, I'll get some.
    On the left you'll see some bark. Over the summer I dried it into a semi-circle shape. Made easier because trees are actually round.;)
    I was just trying that one out to see if they would use it. They did right off the bat.
    So I'll be putting more bark up such as I did with that one.
    Temps are working out well. Would have been easier to use dimmers than find the right bulb. However dimmers just made too much of a buzzing noise that I felt would stress them out.
    Cause it was stressing me out as well.

Here's some closer shots.
    One of the basking areas is lower to help heat the entire enclosure.
    img_1136.jpg
    img_1138.jpg
    img_1137.jpg

Attached Files:

18. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

It just looks great! I like the idea of using the bark to make the hides, but unfortunately, they don`t have the round type of trees here in the U.K, they only do the square ones... Seriously, the backgrouind is excellent too, one SMALL criticism, though....I don`t know how to do it, so I`m really, but really jealous, especially as you say (and we all know) you`ve no artistic talent! A tip about the noise from the dimmers: if you don`t pay much attention to the noise you will get used to it quite quickly, (hope that helped). Excellent job Mike, (it pains me to admit). :p

P.S. Hopefully they`ll breed before too long, don`t forget to keep a record of everything.

19. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The enclosure looks great Mike! Thanks for sharing it with us all.