This Disappears When Logged In

New Members of the Family

Discussion in 'Amphibian - General' started by Kazooguyz2, Apr 17, 2010.

1. Kazooguyz2

Kazooguyz2 Elite Member

Just got back from the Kalamazoo Reptile show with 2 new members!! Red Eyed Tree Frogs!! They are huge!! Nearly 2 1/2 inches SVL. I have decided that the 29G summer project will be just for them instead of the other tree frogs. I will post pictures once they get settled and calm down a little.

2. HydroDragon

HydroDragon Elite Member

Re: New Members of the Family!!

Yay! they are adorable. Our female is alittle smaller than that. So congrats on the new girls!

We are waiting on a phone call from the pet store we got our one from. We are hoping on gettin some male companionship for our RETF.

3. Kazooguyz2

Kazooguyz2 Elite Member

Mine are resting comfortably (for now, lights are still on.) I'm sure they will be active in a few hours. I'm going to free feed 6 med crickets over night, see how that goes and adjust accordingly. Thinking of names and so far have come up with: Agaly and Calli (first 5 letters in the latin name for Red Eyes) . Any other suggestions?? BTW just measured them on the glass (so simple) and they are both 2.5 inches SVL, of course that is with them in a sleeping pose.

4. HydroDragon

HydroDragon Elite Member

Our girl doesnt come out at all unless there is no light shining into her cage. When her lights go out she will just move alittle. But once its dark enough for her liking she ever so slowly starts exploring. Very interesting frogs. They seem so super cautious about every move.

5. Orca

Orca Elite Member

I can't wait to see pictures. Red eyes are very beautiful (I have it in the back of my mind that if I got a frog, it would be one of them). And if I remember right, being that size, they are both females?

6. Kazooguyz2

Kazooguyz2 Elite Member

Would be assuming that they are female. If ANYONE has a male that they would like to loan out for stud service sometime in the future, please let me know!! Here is Agaly. She is resting on the door to the enclosure so a picture was easy.

7. HydroDragon

HydroDragon Elite Member

Males typically are under 2" full grown. Anything over is female. And the tell tale calling and sounding off is all male.

Our female was 2 1/4" when we got her and has never said a peep. So the information Liz gave is holding strong :)

8. Kazooguyz2

Kazooguyz2 Elite Member

UPDATE::: You've all seen Agaly, one of my new RETFs, so here is Calli!! She decided to make a daytime appearance for me and was willing to have her picture taken. I am working on their larger enclosure, getting the temp and humidity set before putting them in. Right now the temps are 76.2F and humidity is 98%. Excuse the mist of the front of the cage, just sprayed.

9. Kazooguyz2

Kazooguyz2 Elite Member

A LITTLE UPDATE::: I haven't yet moved the RETFs to their new home for one reason, I am (possibly) having issues with heat/humidity: The temps range from 83 (away from basking light) - 89 (under the basking area) and the humidity runs 72 - 84 % (same areas as temp). At night, temps drop to mid 70s and the humidity goes over 100% everywhere. Is this OK?? I do mist at least once per day, usually when I get home from work, 1-2 pm. Any ideas/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

10. Kazooguyz2

Kazooguyz2 Elite Member

UPDATE:::: Solved the temp/humidity issue, covered the remainder of the open screen area with plexiglass. Bumped the temps to high 70's and humidity went to hig 80's to low 90's CONSISTENTLY Yeah!!! Been adding a few more decorations and branch for them. Was tired of just green fake plants so........ (see the pictures!)

11. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

That looks beautiful. I'd love to eventually expand my amphibian collection here.

12. Kazooguyz2

Kazooguyz2 Elite Member

I bet living in Central FL you must have a lot of outside critters that visit. You could always be like Lovethebaruu and bring them in to "observe" them with the intention (haha) of letting them go back outside eventually.

13. LovetheBaruu

LovetheBaruu Subscribed User Premium Member

Harumph! We have always released any wild caught! You must be mistaking me for someone else- You perhaps??

14. Kazooguyz2

Kazooguyz2 Elite Member

Me??!!! NEVER (or least rarely) Having better luck with purchased rather that self caught lately, gonna stick with that way of thinking. Besides, self caught defeats the purpose of being green.

15. Frognut

Frognut Subscribed User Premium Member

Children ... behave! :p

Nice set-up, you've got some beautiful frogs who I am sure are loving their new digs!

16. Kazooguyz2

Kazooguyz2 Elite Member

Yes, Mother... (hanging head in shame) Kelly- since Steph seems to be posting photos of herself with other HC members, maybe we should get together and take a few.....

17. Frognut

Frognut Subscribed User Premium Member

Good idea!!! A something productive and 'friendly'... instead of picking on each other all the time.... LOL :rolleyes: *snort*

18. Kazooguyz2

Kazooguyz2 Elite Member

If you only knew about the phone calls.....