This Disappears When Logged In

New medium

Discussion in 'Substrates/Bedding/Flooring' started by HoanIsMyBallPython, Jan 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HoanIsMyBallPython

HoanIsMyBallPython Elite Member

Im not sure about what this portion of the website is for but im posting a discovery ive found for great mediums?

I use a thing called expanded clay pellets.Ive seen them in 3 sizes a little smaller than golf balls about a small button and then theres some reely small ones.I mixed the two smallest and put them as my ball pythons medium.

Pros: there inexspensive and there nice looking hold moisture well and there not rough on the skin or under belly thery dont stick to pray (they dont look editable)

Cons: sorry cant think of any

Everyone that uses or has used please post a reply and give them a try

2. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

What exactly is the expanded part? Are they already expanded. Or do they expand with water? Cause that's real bad.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

It sounds like you are talking about the material used for hydroponics.
    These are not suitable to be used in your snake's cage! If accidently swallowed they pose a serious impaction risk! Yes they hold moisture. But you do not want the bottom of the enclosure to be constantly damp. This will lead to scale rot disease.
    They will also absorb urine and fecal matter causing your snake's environment to become very unhealthy and smell like a sewer.
    You would be better off sticking with the conventional aspen shavings, or cypress mulch from the garden center. However since you just got the snake it is a good idea to simply keep it on newspaper for the time being to monitor for any intestinal problems or ectoparasites.

4. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Hello,

I have to agree with Merlin and I want to offer 2 pieces of advice. The first piece of advice is that you research any new product BEFORE you decide to use it with your herps. You should know what the stuff is, what it is designed for, and if other users have used it successfully before you go and toss your herps on it.

Also, please don't tell our users to try a product before you yourself know what the deal with it is. You could lead a new user down the wrong path because they feel it must be safe since someone told them to use it on this site.

5. Lyn

Lyn Elite Member

I agree with Rich and Merlin....I use newspaper with all my reptiles....it makes it so easy to clean and it is totally inexpensive....I get mine for free...I dont even buy a paper for myself...good luck!!

6. HoanIsMyBallPython

ok

mabie you guys have never seen it it dosent expand when added to water it dosent stick to the prays fur so it wont get swalloed and it only keeeps the moisture from flooding it helps in the evaporation process u dont pour a gallon of water in it u just simply mist the cage im not a moron lol it works fine dosent look like food smell like food or attach to the food lol it dosnt seem to have any negative affects on my snake or my taranchula please check it out for yourselfs and tell me if u feel the way u currently do

id reely like u guys to try it ok i wana know if its bad or good becouse i think its good so i need a experienced reptile owner to tell me how it worked when they used it thx a lot from me to yall
    -HoanIsMyBallPython

7. Merlin

How can you say that something that you just put in a tank for the very first time with an animal you just got has no negative effects. You have nothing to base your opinion on! And maybe you didn't read my post! I never said that it will continue to expand. I told you what the stuff was because I used to dabble in hydroponics which is what it was designed to be used for . If you are in doubt compare it against this
    HYDROTON, expanded clay pellets, hydrocorels
    If you apply enough water for the material to make any difference at all it WILL be constantly damp. That is the reason that it is used for hydroponics. They wet it and it holds a thin film of water for plant roots till the next time it is flooded. It WILL have the other bad effects I mentioned.

Whether it sticks to fur or not there is still a chance of the snake ingesting it as it swallows the prey. Snakes do not ingest substrate because they think its food and deliberately eat it. It happens by accident.

The reason that you don't get responses from people who use it is because nobody uses it other than as a drainage layer for under the soil in a planted vivarium. An experienced keeper does not have to put something strange in an animal's enclosure in order to tell whether it will be functional or not when it clearly will not. You have gotten replies from some VERY experienced keepers and you are chosing not to listen to them.

8. Rich

Hello,

I have to agree with Merlin again. You have nothing to base your opinion off of except you like how it looks and believe it works. We CAN base our opinion off of our experience. You are asking us to go out and buy a product so we can test it and tell you it is safe. Since you seek more experienced opinions to verify it is safe, why do you have your herp and "t" on it without this knowledge already? The fact you seek this information should be enough to let you know that you yourself don't know enough of this substrate to safely use it with your critters. Do you see what I mean?

You are asking for us to try this item out and then tell you what we believe. The thing is, those of us that have been keeping herps for a number of years now would never do that. Why would we toss out what we know works to "test" something we don't know?

I would suggest getting that stuff out of your enclosure and using something that has been tried and tested.

9. HoanIsMyBallPython

ok

ok ok listen i seem to made a mistake ive used it in my tarantula cage for a year already and my father swears by it im hoping that someone else would or would have tried it so i could tell my father how you guys feel about it i didnt just throw it in there without testing it first ive used in my spider tank for a year.Ill talk to my father and see what he thinks about switching

10. Fordie

Fordie Member

A point you may well consider given it is coming from direct experience with the substance is mine...i used the substance you are talking about and i lost my first ever corn because of it, and my "advice" to use the stuff was given to me by an expert corn keeper who has a collection exceeding 200 corns.
    She has never found an issue with it hence suggesting i use it, i on the other hand, not knowing the signs to look for, saw my first corn wither away and die from impaction. Since then i have collected a fair few herps and 'touch wood' all are doing great. None of which by the way are now or will ever be going near that clay stuff ever!
    Hope this gives you another angle to view things from.

11. Rich

Hello,

Sorry to hear of your bad experience Fordie. I still believe that aspen is the best bedding!

12. Merlin

I'm sorryto hear that Fordie. Its terrible to lose a pet.

Aspen is my first choice as well. I do on occassion use cypress mulch.
    However I do not feed the animal in the enclosure.

13. Fordie

Fordie Member

Yes it kinda sucked for a while. Learnt from it though so no hard feelings. I did feed in the enclosure, not any more though, again, i learnt. Just hoped that letting HoanIsMyBallPython know the score it might even things out with his/her opinion.
    And yes aspen and newpaper are the substrates of choice nowadays.

14. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

Okay, there you go Hoan, you have another opinion from someone who has used the pellets and regrets it.

We, as keepers who have a great deal of concern for our pets, would not knowingly put our pets into danger by using a product that we can tell is not safe just by looking at the packaging.

Also I would look into a feeding bin to prevent your snake from eating its substrate, whatever you end up using.

15. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

Hi there:
    I'm sure you must feed like you're being ganged up on, but our concerns are for the well-being of your snake and we want to help you to give him the best possible care.
    My husband and I tried using the clay pellets as a substrate for our Green Tree Pythons, since they are seldom on the ground and it holds humidity well.
    We put the pellets in an empty terrarium for a while to monitor the humidity and temperature, and it seemed like a good thing.
    So we put one of our baby chondros in a terrarium with clay pellet substrate. But it did not take long to discover the drawbacks: It is a horror to clean up! Urates and feces just soak up and sink in between the stuff and for that reason alone it is a breeding ground for bacteria and trouble. (Also dead leaves would fall into it and get all stuck and rot.) Here's a pic from when we had it: of course the GTP baby did go down on the ground and I didn't like him crawling on that.
    [​IMG]
    Within a few days we cleared all of that out and have used paper towels for the GTPs ever since. Here is our GTP set up (the paper towel works great as a substrate for them.) It holds moisture well enough with the live plants providing some humidity as well. MUCH easier to clean!!!
    [​IMG]
    I use Terrarium soil humus for my Ball Python. But I always feed him in a separate plastic tub. This is his set up:
    [​IMG]

From my own experience (fortunately not as bad as some) I would not recommend using the pellets for pets. Just not sanitary... especially for a ground dwelling snake like a BP. Terrarium soil is much easier to spot-clean and my BP likes digging tunnels in it.
    Don't use pine shavings though! It's toxic for reptiles. Aspen is the type most often recommended and has proven itself in the herp community.
    Try it! :)

16. HoanIsMyBallPython

Ok everyone

Like i said i would ive takin your advice and bought some cage liner its kinda like carpet.Thanks for showing me the light.My snake probally really appreciates it.

17. Merlin

Thats great to hear!
    New keepers today have a distinct advantage over us old timers.
    When we started out information was scarce and we had to learn by trial and error. Unfortunately a lot of our animals suffered thru our learning processes.
    Your advantage, now, is that since we had aready made a lot of the mistakes we can point you in the right direction.
    Its one of the reasons this site exists.

18. HoanIsMyBallPython

Im glad you guys are experienced

I dont know what id do with out yall i reely thought those pellets were something good but there not.

The new liner goes in today after school.

19. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

Congrats on your decision. If you decide to try something else in the future feel free to ask first, we might be able to save you a few $$$.

20. iturnrocks

iturnrocks Elite Member

Dont feel bad, a long time ago I tried using cat litter as a substrate for similar reasons. The results were a very dirty snake. Now Im pretty much a newspaper guy.

Some people learn by reading.
    Some people learn by observing others.
    Some of us have to pee on the electric fence for ourselves.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.