This Disappears When Logged In

New Lady Striking A Lot...

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by Gabe, Feb 25, 2017.

1. Gabe

Gabe New Member

I bought a new lemon blast ball python a couple of weeks ago at the reptile show I always go to. My son and I both held her and she seemed good tempered. The only thing they said was that she was shy. I let her settle into her environment for about a week. But, when I got her out she started striking and bit my 12 year old. I called the previous owner to ask what he thought. He said she could be hungry as it was getting close to time to feed her. We put her back and then fed her in a separate enclosure. She ate good and I put her back. We left her alone for 48 hours. I also did research on snappy snakes. So I'm the one that is working with her. I have gotten her out each day and handled her but if anything is in front of her she is striking at it. I've held several different pythons and have never seen one that strikes like her. The other day I was leaning over the screen to check the temp and humidity and she struck right at my face. I'm leaning towards returning her for a different snake if she doesn't improve. My other ball python was very calm and seemed to like being handled. Thoughts?

2. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

How old/large is the snake? Sounds like a snappy hatchling issue, or it could just be getting settled in still. Some will take a lot longer to adjust than others. Also need a description of the setup, pics would help also if possible. If there aren't enough hides and or cover it can leave the snake feeling vulnerable and defensive.

3. Gabe

Gabe New Member

4. Gabe

Gabe New Member

Luna is three years old and came from a breeder. She is doing better. Just have to be slow around her. She ate for the second time. Right now I'm using aspen and the sphagnum moss to help with humidity. I have some coconut husk substrate on its way.

5. Jay1718

Jay1718 Established Member

6. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Set up looks fine for the most part, is that a 10 gal? Just trying to get a feel for the size of the snake. But it still sounds like it is just hatchling and new snake defensiveness. On the subject of substrate, my favorite is a 50/50 mix of Cypress mulch and eco-earth or something similar. While Aspen won't hurt anything, it tends to be bad at holding humidity. The husk you have coming should be a good replacement.