This Disappears When Logged In

New (kind-of) Acquisition

Discussion in 'Invertebrates General' started by Dragoness, Mar 5, 2010.

1. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

So entomology really is growing on me...

This is Vincent - a Tanzanian Red-Clawed Scorpion (Pandinus cavimanus) Got him a few weeks ago, and am just getting around to introducing him. For those who are not familiar with scorps, his sting is harmless, and comparable to that of a bee, like his close cousin, the Emperor Scorpion. Pandinus is a relatively harmless genus of large scorpions.

2.10.10_047.jpg
    Under regular lighting

2.10.10_050.jpg
    And under a cheap black-light.

Attached Files:

2. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

Welcome Vincent :) he is a beauty!!

3. avoidtheboyd

avoidtheboyd Elite Member

Very cool! i wanna get some emperor scorpions somtime.

4. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

Very nice Jen! Now you need a Tarantula. ;)

5. LovetheBaruu

LovetheBaruu Subscribed User Premium Member

What a beauty Jen! You can see I have come full circle on the subject! These guys are often sold as Emperor scorpions. The sting does hurt- and you may be allergic so watch it! I am more afraid of those crushing claws. We have learned from some of our mistakes and would like to prevent you (or anyone else) from repeating them (not that you would!).

:confused: The substrate has to be dry enough to allow for digging (Jonathan added water everyday to keep the humidity up = water logged soil).
    :eek: The heat and humidity provide a perfect place for crickets to breed (pin head crickets anyone?) I swear, you drop them in and they lay eggs! We provide cricket munchies so our scorps aren't munched on- they do have some vulnerable areas.
    :eek: Scorpions will over-eat, we have one that is quite, erm, "plump" watch for the white membranes between the black segments to show.

6. Orca

Orca Elite Member

Yay for animals that glow LOL. Very cool! I love the red coloration too - its so different from the normal black. I'm jealous ;)

7. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Emperor Scorpions (Pandinus imperator) are actually a different species than the red-claws (Pandinus cavimanus), though closely related. I think there are at least 5-6 species in the genus Pandinus. Many of them look alike, from what I can tell. On a side note, there is apparently a species known as Pandinus dictator, on which I cannot find any information at all.

I have mine in a ten gallon, with about 3 inches of substrate I keep just moist enough to form a nice tunnel (and he has, I can only see him by lifting it up, and looking at him through the floor of it, which is how I know he is a HE.)

Vince is eating well, though he is not fat (yet) I have seen some very fat ones (namely at work)

As to the sting, I have been stung by an emperor scorpion once, and it was not noteworthy, nor did I have any kind of adverse reaction to it. This is a different species, but I expect it would be very similar. In general, I do not react as strongly as other people to mundane invertebrate toxins/venoms such as those from (fire) ants, bees, ticks, centipede, deerfly/horsefly, mosquitoes, etc. I don't even react to mosquito bites anymore.

David, when I was at the pet shop, I was actually debating between the scorpion and a Pink-toe Tarantula. The deciding factor was that we had everything we needed for the scorpion. Had I gotten the tarantula, I would have wanted to do another of my bang-up viv construction projects for it - and I will, but I want it done before I get the tarantula.

8. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Wow, he is beautiful, I'm always checking them out at the stores. Quick question, and a bit stupid, but when they sting you do they loose their stinger like some bees do??

9. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I know almost nothing about these animals apart from I`m terrified of them and they do NOT lose the sting on their tails after they`ve used it. (More`s the pity)! :eek:

10. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Me too, when I was deployed to Africa we used to have to shake our shoes before stepping in them. Our doctor caught one and kept it for a specimen. cool but nerve racking. And of course my daughter wants one, not gonna happen.
    :eek:

11. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

They do not lose their sting - though if they sting enough, they can temporarily deplete their venom resources. Then, it's just a matter of time (weeks I think) until they have made more of it.