This Disappears When Logged In

New JCP

Discussion in 'Carpet/Diamond Pythons' started by Rocky's Dad, Oct 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rocky's Dad

Rocky's Dad Elite Member

I have been looking for a male JCP to go with my year-old girl, Sheila. I'm a year or so away until she's ready to mate, but l've kept my eyes open for a suitable Bloke ;) .

Found this guy a couple weeks ago. He's about 2 years old (maybe more - he's fairly large) and despite being a bit aggressive at first, he's settled in nicely.
    [​IMG]
    He's driving me to fits, though, as he won't eat. I have tried leaving a F/T mouse in his cage overnight (the guy I bought him from said he was not on rats yet), dancing it in front of him in a feeding bin - like I do with my other snakes - and finally resorting to a live smallish rat - but he wouldn't touch it.

Ideas? Should I try a live mouse? Or just give him more time. I have not had this problem with new snakes before, but all my previous ones were brought in as hatchlings...

2. Lyn

Lyn Elite Member

Give him some more time...and he will eat...he is gorgeous by the way....I was checking them out at the reptile expo in NH this past weekend....maybe some day....Lyn

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Absolutely gorgeous snake! I agree with Lyn, just give him a bit more time.
    Good luck with getting him to feed.

4. Rocky's Dad

Rocky's Dad Elite Member

Thanks for the compliments - he is nice snake - I like his broken patterns. Here's the female I hope to breed him with eventually:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Got a little hasty with those last couple, getting them to upload, so they are cut-off at the bottom, but you can see her markings - she's got more of the "banded" look and a great yellow.

5. venus

venus Founding Member

They are both beautiful. Nice colors and pattern.

6. Joe

Joe Elite Member

Firstly congrats on the new addition, he is stunning as is his girly friend :)

I would give him more time its only been a couple of weeks and if he was eating F/T mice then there is no reason to suspect that he won't continue to do so when he is fully settled in....how big is the enclosure he is in and how big was the enclosure he was in? The quickest way to make a snake settle is to mimic the enclosure they were in before they came to you, then when you have established a feeding regime you can move him into a different enclose.

I would hold off trying him again with anything live for at least 6-8 months....they can go a long time without eating and the last thing you want to do is get him a taste for live....just keep trying the mice once a week, make sure they are good and warm and he'll eat in his own time :)

7. jacky

jacky Moderated Status

Very beautiful snakes.The best of luck with them both :)

8. Rocky's Dad

Rocky's Dad Elite Member

Thanks - I think the new cage(s) were definitely causing him some acclimation issues - I acutally had him in a 40 gallon and then stepped him up to this cage (was thinking I'd get a hatchling but ended up with him) - that's gotta be causing him some stress - clearly shown at first - had to handle him with a hook, but recently he's settled down just fine...
    [​IMG]
    So I'll stop stressing then. Just makes it easier to sleep on Sunday nights when everyone eats... ;)

9. venus

venus Founding Member

Awesome tank as well, did you build that yourself?

10. Rocky's Dad

Rocky's Dad Elite Member

:eek: Heck no - I'm all thumbs... There is a guy here locally who does these and goes to shows. They are pretty slick - there is a built in UTH in the back corner and an internal florescent light. Light switches on the outside of the cage control both and there's an extra outlet in the back so you can plug in a dome lamp or whatever.

He makes one just like this in unfinished pine for about $200 - I splurged for the finished oak because it looks much nicer - an extra $100, but worth it, in my opinion...

11. venus

venus Founding Member

Would you consider posting it on Herp Habitats, its a great enclosure and might give other members ideas for building (you know, the crafy ones) :D .

12. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

beautiful. love the patterns on both of them. :)

13. Lyn'sSteve

Lyn'sSteve Elite Member

Rocky's Dad,

How big is the snake in that cage?

Steve

14. topacelot

topacelot Elite Member

very nice....I just got mine about a month ago...good luck with feeding...mine are 3+yrs and I haven't had a prob

15. Rocky's Dad

Rocky's Dad Elite Member

I'll have to measure it when I get home for exact measurements, but I would say about 3ft long by 2.25ft wide and 3ft high.

16. Bighill_Reptiles

Bighill_Reptiles Elite Member

I would hold off on all food for two weeks and try to leave A F/K mouse in front of his hide at night and see what happens in the morning he is a beautiful JCP nice cage as well .What are the temps at and humidity I did not see a large watter bowl for him to soak in ??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.