This Disappears When Logged In

New Iguana Cage

Discussion in 'General Construction' started by TitoAndKatt, May 7, 2010.

1. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Wow, thats one big cage! Don't worry I'm sure she is going to love it soon enough. It looks great, I like the idea that you can remove the panels. Is the whole front panel going to be plexi or wood and plexi?

Bye the way how did you make out with you tests on the 5th?

2. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

Thanks! :) And yeah - it takes up most of my room! haha AND it isn't even big enough to be her forever cage! She will need an expansion eventually! :O Hope I am not still living in an apartment by then! hahaha I had to make it in pieces that cna come apart easily because I move a lot, and the cage is too big to fit through the door! hahaha

And the test went ok. I had to guess a LOT more than I would have liked, so I am pretty worried. I REALLY do NOT want to have to do that again. :( We get our scores back in a month, so for now it is the waiting game...

3. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi Kitty, it WILL look great when it`s finished, you`re doing an excellent job, but it would have been less stressful for her if it had been completely finished first. (I`m NOT criticising you Blondie), just asking why you decided to put her in just now, before staining/varnishing?

4. hangtown530

hangtown530 Elite Member

Nice....I can't wait to show you mine when it's done. I have Aaron Kay looking for a true red iguana right now to bring to the September 18th Expo in Sacramento. So I had a little extra time to get my enclosure done that's why it's been taking so long. My girlfriends brother is helping with the build and we've both been working to much to get anything more done on it for a while. Anyways enough about my problems :) great job Kat....I bet Tito's happy

5. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

Because I Had to. She was pooping on my carpet, which was extraordinarily disgusting to put it lightly. She was able to reach her light - even blocked off, the new cage was in the middle of my room taking up ALL of the space, I had no room to put in Shiiva's new cage and had to move Tito's (new) cage just to get to Shiiva so poor Shiiva was not getting the attention she needs and deserves. The middle of my room being the only spot for it, the cage was blocking out my bedroom light, etc etc. I could go on. And no, I do not think that putting her in early will be a stress to her at all. She is already settling in quite nicely, and I really don't think that she will notice (at least not enough to care) the wall panels changing colors. AS far as me getting in and out of her cage to take the panels out, well she needs to be used to me getting in and out of her new cage anyways, so I am not concerned about that at all. lol

6. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Thanks Kitt-Katt, you only needed to explain it the once, but it`s definitely sunk in now, Kattrina..... (Definitely)..... (Unless you want to say it three times just to be sure I have really taken it in).....

I`m really pleased she`s settling in, I know how busy you`ve been, and I think you`ve done very well to get this far with her new home. But it will be great when it`s all painted and decorated, after all, how would you like to live in a house with bare walls?????? :-":(((;)

7. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

My computer froze and for some reason it posted my reply twice. lmao Not sure what the deal is but my internet is all funky lately. And yes, I hope to be able to start staining the walls soon. I want to put the doors on first though, and I have a big piece of plexi that I took from her old cage that I will use to cover the gap instead of a tarp. Much easier to work with, and I will be more certain that she can't claw through it. lol

I realized last night - and I am very disappointed - I was going to caulk the edges of the floor before I put her in (so poop, food, and especially poop, can't fall through the slight cracks at the seams) and I totally forgot! :( I am pretty much at my spending limit anyways. *sigh* I will have to figure out a safe way to do it later I guess. I have a board under her cage in case it leaks.

8. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Can you just fill the slight gaps with the filler that you use for walls (just a small packet will do it), just mix a fairly stiff paste, it should dry in a couple of hours, if you do it later at night when she`s resting or sleeping, it should be fine, later, you just scrape it out if you want to use aquarium sealer?

9. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

Well, I finally got the sliding door tracks and I must say I am very disappointed. Firstly, because for some reason everything (I ordered some other things online from other sites as well) I have ordered has been going to my aunt's house for some reason rather than my PO box - which is where I get my mail. So I have not been getting things. Secondly, the tracks are not going to work. :( They installed beautifully and I am very impressed with the quality of the tracks themselves. However, due to the original cutting errors in my cage (part of what led to this whole thing taking so long), everything is off. While the differences are pretty little, it added up. The cage does not look crooked (esp after some minor adjustments)...until you put something really straight up to it... :( Between that (mainly that as the crookedness impedes the sliding function by quite a bit) and the awkward size of my plexi, the sliding doors are not going to work. Instead, I am going to build a simple wooden frame that is exactly crooked to match the cage. Then, I will paint that and cut the plexi to fit. Screw the plexi on, and hinge/lock the doors. More money, more work, more time. BLAH! It will be much better than the sliding doors though since those are going to be close to impossible. This will be sturdier too, so that is nice at least. Then, after I stain the walls (I have been procrastinating...I am dreading sanding them I can't afford an electric sander and sanding by hand is like nails on a chalkboard so I can only do it in short spurts lol). Anyhow, after I stain the walls, I will secure the light(s) much better and come up with a better way to block them off. Will a Reptile UV Heat Emitter (can't afford a radiant heat panel atm) be safe if it is left uncovered? Like if she is able to touch it (it will still be a good distance from the basking spot...)?

Let me tell you guys. Between the frustrations of this cage, Tito's insistence in pooping in her basking spot and laying in it (no matter how much I clean and bleach) and every where else, and finally pooping on my electric heated blanket (which can't be put in a washing machine btw) and returning to her basking spot...she didn't even go explore or hang out on the windowsill like usual - we were not gone long and she was in the cage when we left and got back telling me she left her cage and warm toasty basking spot, pooped on my bed, then went right back to her cage..... :mad: ;|(| I am bout ready to donate her to the zoo....we don't have a reptile exhibit here and when I went the other week the cages that were there all looked well set up and clean/cared for. She would have many things to watch there, and a huge expensive habitat all to herself... *shakes fist* I never intend to buy another iguana after Tito. Serious love-hate relationship. lol

10. mld

Wow, I can feel your frustration all the way over here on the East Coast! You seem to have alot on your plate, and Tito isn't making things any easier with pooping on your bed. Sorry I can't help you but just say hang in there, things will turn for the good. Keep smiling;)

11. Frognut

Frognut Subscribed User Premium Member

Yow! You are in SERIOUS need of some ice-cream!!! Maybe Tito is just letting you know she is impatient about getting her new tank....
    :eek:

... runs for cover ;) :-"

:x

12. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

*chases*
    haha She is IN her new cage, it just doesn't have doors - and she will be less happy to be locked in there than to have roam of my whole room! lol I started building framed doors today, they should *knocks on wood* be up by the end of this week. I already broke one though. lmao But a little wood glue ought to fix it. Just need to paint, cut plexi, screw plexi, attach to cage. Voila!

13. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

Slowly but surely... ;)

I FINALLY put the doors on Tito's cage!

Now all I have left is...
    Add locks and handles to the doors
    sand, stain, and seal the wall panels
    wire the permanent lighting
    finalize decorations

and eventually I want to caulk the edges on the inside - the bottom leaks *rolls eyes* because I forgot to caulk before I put her in there. :( I will have to get another painting drop cloth or a tarp and put it over the floor while the caulk dries if I decide to do that, but I think it will be worth it. I may just buy and paint some trim too and use that along the edges instead. We'll see that is lowest priority.

Pictures!

I know the light is close, but I tested it and she can't reach it the way her spot is set up. I have watched her try and she fails. lol
    IMG_0550.jpg

Sorry for the bad lighting...hinges...
    IMG_0551.jpg

Doors - and new BIGGER, Tip-Over Proof food dish!
    IMG_0553.jpg

IMG_0554.jpg

IMG_0556.jpg

IMG_0557.jpg

For a size comparison...I am 5'1" so wheels and all the cage is over 6' tall on the outside, and is at or slightly over 6' tall on the inside. :)

IMG_0568.jpg

Attached Files:

14. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

very nice

15. mld

Wow, it looks great! You did a wonderful job, and the glass doors look wonderful. Tito is a lucky Iguana, well worth all the work and time I'm sure. :)

16. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

All in all, you`ve done a great job Kitt-Katt! Good to see some real branches in there too, have you decided whether to fit the wire cage instead of the plastic top shelf?
    Edit: I notice you`ve already started to use her brand new home as a place to hang your clothes Kattrina (jacket/sweater on the side)? that`s not nice, not nice at all.... :p

17. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Fine looking habitat.
    I see you're a ferret fan(mischievious little devils)

18. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

"Mischievous" and "devil" do not even begin to describe Koda! :D He is without a doubt the most troublesome ferret in the world. I am pretty renowned on my ferret forum for having a major handful of ferret trouble! lol

And thanks guys! I just need to get those walls done now, that is the next big step... anyone have some free time they want to lend me? ;)

19. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I`ve just sent you a week of free time (registerd letter) Kitt-Katt, if you don`t need it all, send what`s left back, as I`m a bit short myself..... (Thanks)! :p

20. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

Oh fantastic! :D I will let you know when it arrives. I am a little worried someone at the post office might try to snatch it up though...it is a rare and valuable commodity these days! ;)