This Disappears When Logged In

New Housing for the Babies

Discussion in 'Enclosures' started by BlackJack, Jul 30, 2011.

1. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

Now that we've sold off a few of the little ones (and that they're all not so little anymore), we can move them to bigger accomodations:

First, Odo and Gollum (the babies that we are keeping) will move in here -- one in each glass terri inside a polycarbonate terrarium with a heat panel. When they're big enough, we'll take out the glass terri and just put branches into each half of the polycarbonate terri.
    397900727.jpg

The other babies will be moving from 8 liter boxes to 30 liter boxes, with bigger/thicker perches and some decorative silk plants. (We have 6 babies left for sale and 6 boxes just fit into the rack.) First a pic showing the size difference of the old box (with black coat-hanger ladder) and the new box with the pvc ladder:
    397900692.jpg
    And here's just the new box. (They also have a bigger water dish.
    397900694.jpg

They'll move in tomorrow. We're now warming up and testing the temperature gradient in the glass terrariums.

Attached Files:

2. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Amazing looking terrariums for the little one! Lucky babies:D

3. Kushun

Kushun Elite Member

Amazing, can I move in?

4. LovetheBaruu

LovetheBaruu Subscribed User Premium Member

I smell something spoiled!!:x

5. BlackJack

Odo and Gollum have moved into their new "digs" and are exploring curiously.
    (Gollum already left a "house-warming" present!) :)

Duplex set up:
    397908660.jpg

Odo (left side):
    397908662.jpg

Gollum right side:
    397908661.jpg

Attached Files:

6. gazjd

gazjd Elite Member

very cool :) odo and gollum look very happy

7. BlackJack

Actually Odo and Gollum got a bit stressed by the bright light; so we've turned that off and hopefully they'll settle in better.

Now we've moved the other babies to the 30 liter boxes: Here's Bashir checking out his new digs.
    397910864.jpg

They've all found a perch, coiled up and went back to sleep -- Now I've got 9 boxes/ladders/waterbowls to clean and find space to store!!

Attached Files:

8. mld

They look like they are enjoying their larger spaces!

9. BlackJack

ALMOST all of them are! Odo's not too convinced by his new "glass digs". This morning I looked high and low for him... then I had to look LOWER!

397927087.jpg

I decided to try to feed them all today on schedule... and defrosted the mice on top of Odo's terrarium, under the heat panel.

When he smelled the mice defrosting, he started to show himself: (sorry for the blurry pic: I didn't want to open the glass and I couldn't use the flash)
    397927088.jpg

He came out, grabbed the fuzzy, coiled and swallowed it on the ground and disappeared again under the paper towels. (He'll be fine... I guess he just wants to try out life as a BP for a while).

All the babies snapped up their pinkies immediately this evening. So they don't seem to be too stressed about the bigger accomodations! :)

Attached Files:

10. Flint

Flint Elite Member

Well we've seen ball pythons experimenting with an arboreal lifestyle, I guess it only makes sense it would go both ways lol. Did you make Odo and Gollum's glass terrariums yourself? They look so nice and clean (I mean design-wise. I don't see hinges or metal edging or anything. Everything you show is always sparkling clean haha)

Looks fantastic as always!!

11. mld

Isn't that the truth! LOL

12. BlackJack

Thanks Zack! I really like "clean-designs". So I try to make things nice. But, I didn't make the glass terrariums myself, just the polycarbonate one they are sitting in.
    The glass one doesn't have any hinges: The side walls are longer and it has a vertical glass track on each side and the front door slides up and off. (It's a drag right now, because we have to slide the whole thing forward out of the other terrarium to get the lid on and off... but it'll just be for a few months.

13. mld

Last year I saw your thread on your duplex enclosure, I was going to try to do the same thing! I searched high and low to find the corrugated polycarbonate! No one carried it around here! :(

14. BlackJack

How far are you from "the greater Toronto area"?this Canadian company sells polycarbonate sheets: Polycarbonate Standard Sheets | Greenwall Solutions Inc.
    I googled: Polycarbonate sheets Canada

We used the 16mm multi-wall sheets for ours which fit very nicely into the 16mm aluminum profiles.

The material to build these is not cheap, but they're unbeatable when it comes to holding heat and humidity; light-weight and so stackable, easy to clean: and can be taken apart and re-assembled if needed.
    (And we think they look nice.)

15. gapeachkatie

gapeachkatie Elite Member

the polycarb enclosure always look best in my opinion, and it is a serious bonus that they are able to be torn down and reassembled rather easily.

anyways, I am glad they are all adjusting to their bigger homes, they look like they are getting so big, but i am sure they are still pretty small considering adult size. Andrea, you always have the best updates!

16. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

Great looking enclosures!
    And to think we all knew Gollum when he was a tiny thing, *sniff sniff*. they grow up so fast!

17. BlackJack

They do grow quickly!! Everyone wants to buy little Gollum. But I'm saving him for all of you -- We all want to see how his color change goes and how he manages all the trials and tribulations of youth!
    He's definitely a courageous little guy, even though SERIOUSLY dwarfed by his new home, he's still managing better than his big brother Odo (still hiding under the paper towel btw):
    397942747.jpg
    (I just HAD to add a pic of my baby... see how slyly I snuck that in??) ;)

Attached Files:

18. mld

I wish I was closer to Toronto, but I am on the East Coast, so it would be a two day drive for me. I already have my enclosure built now, it is so heavy though!