This Disappears When Logged In

New Homes

Discussion in 'HH General Discussion' started by HDreptiles, Jan 28, 2011.

1. HDreptiles

HDreptiles Elite Member

New Homes HELP!!!

I am finally going to start moving the herps around today. I am going to put my two juvenile corn snakes in a 20 gallon long tank, and two leopard geckos in a 40 gallon breeder that will be sorta bare for the first few weeks. They will have all the basic needs met however, and I am going to massively spiff up both cages. I will include some pics as I do the move, and would like some feedback on my tank choices. First things first, I will be cleaning everything that I have that has not been used with a weak bleach solution. So, the bulk of the move will probably take place tomorrow.

2. HDreptiles

HDreptiles Elite Member

Re: New Homes HELP!!!

Ok, I have a question, what type of heat source do you recommend for a 40 gallon breeder for two leopard geckos? I am thinking an under tank heater and two lights. I was also thinking of an under tank heater, a night heat light for the basking light and a low wattage fluorescent light for daylight.

3. HDreptiles

HDreptiles Elite Member

Ok. This is what I have so far.

IMG_1461.jpg

Before cleaning.

IMG_1462.jpg

After cleaning. It is only partially setup. This tank will hold two juvenile leopard geckos. It will have 2 hides, a water bowl, and food dish. I plan on making one of those Styrofoam rock structures to cover the bottom and back of the tank. I am also going to repaint the screen top with Krylon grill and stove paint. I still need help with heating and lighting. I want to know where to start on the wattage of UTH and/or bulbs. I think I am going to use a night bulb and UTH with a fluorescent light fixture to simulate daylight (non UVB), but not sure yet.

Attached Files:

4. Rakoladycz

Rakoladycz Elite Member

First of all it isn't recommended to house more than one in an enclosure. It can be quite stressful on them to be put together, stress is a cause of health issues and death. If you have two males they can end up being aggressive to one another. If different genders are you able to accommodate offspring? Also you should be allowing one to have multiple hiding spots, not multiple geckos each having one hiding spot. With the Leopard Geckos how will you monitor who is eating? and you will not be able to identify who's stool belongs to which one, should health issues arrive. This applies to both the Corn Snakes and the Leopard Geckos. I know pet shops do it, I know some hobbyists do it. I say don't.

5. HDreptiles

HDreptiles Elite Member

I moved all the animals around, and this is what I have so far.

IMG_1468.jpg

The geckos.

IMG_1469.jpg

IMG_1470.jpg

And this is for the snakes. I am sure some of these will change again. I know I am going to spiff up the gecko habitat, just waiting till I get paid again.

Attached Files:

6. Rakoladycz

Rakoladycz Elite Member

Those thermometers you have can be grossly inaccurate. A digital one is available at homedepot or lowes in the garden section and usually only run 10-15 dollars and they let you know more information(lows, highs, time), and a hygrometer runs a touch more(I still got mine for under 15) and let you know humidity.

7. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

I agree on those dials. Not very accurate.

8. HDreptiles

HDreptiles Elite Member

I am already planning on those, I am just waiting on the budget to allow it. The next few paychecks are going to be used to upgrade the tanks hardcore. I found digital thermometers for like 8 bucks at the pet store. I also need to come up on some better ideas for a humid hide. Should I put the humid hide on the cool end or the warm end. I am going to add at least 2 more hides to each enclosure, but like I said, waiting for the money.

9. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The digitals from the hardware store have a big advantage over the cheapies at the petstore. The remote probe. It allows you to move it around and get readings exactly where you put it as opposed to just being stuck on the side somewhere. And both the digital readout as well as the probe will read temperatures so you are getting a cool end reading and a warm end reading from the same unit.

10. HDreptiles

HDreptiles Elite Member

I am going to look into that one. Two birds with one stone. Sounds good. Look for updates on weds or thurs and I will show you all what I got. Going to be adding some hides to both enclosures as well. Where should I put the humid one?

11. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

The leopard gecko caresheet has a lot of information on it! Here is the section that talks about moist hides, how to make them and where to place them!
    Leopard Gecko Moist Hide Creation

12. HDreptiles

HDreptiles Elite Member

I may have missed it, but I don't recall seeing where to place them in the caresheet. I will have to try again.

13. mld

It was mentioned there, here it is!

14. puzzlebean

puzzlebean Elite Member

I don't know the differences in housing too well for leopard geckos and african fat tails...but I put Puzzle's humid hide on his warm side. Some people have said you don't want it to be too inviting because you don't want them spending all their time in it...but I have found that keeping it on the warm side keeps it more humid for longer. When I had it on the cool side, it was cold and gross, and he hardly ever went in it. Now he uses it regularly.

15. mld

That what I was thinking! But I was just quoting the caresheet!

16. HDreptiles

HDreptiles Elite Member

Thanks for the help. I looked at the care sheet again (I didn't realize it was HUGE and had a table of contents) but putting the moist hide on the cool side made no sense to me either. I am going to get some more gear for the tank, but now I have to wait. I live in chicago and at the moment it is blizzarding out and is supposed to continue until some time on weds afternoon. So, after the thundersnow is done, I will make it to the pet store. I will post pics for you guys to see what I come up with.

17. mld

I would go with the moist hide on the warm side, It may be too cool if its on the cool side, just have to moisten it more often. It just makes more sense! I'm sure someone will let us know if they don't agree.

Yeah, were suppose to get another 30 cm of snow between tonight and tomorrow, must be coming from the United States;)

18. HDreptiles

HDreptiles Elite Member

Probably. We got like 2 inches last night, another 3 to 4 today, and they are calling for another 15 to 24 by tomorrow afternoon. Plus 50 mile an hour winds, and thunder and lightening. It is going to be interesting tomorrow to say the least. I just hope the power stays on. If not 5 fish tanks and 2 reptile tanks are in jeopardy.

19. puzzlebean

puzzlebean Elite Member

Just keep in mind that you don't really want him in it ALL THE TIME. But I don't think they would go in it all the time. Puzzle takes a sauna after eating usually. Haha!

Plus, they get the majority of their water from the sides of their moist hides, by licking the droplets off the side. I have never seen Puzzle "drinking" his water...but I see him licking the side of his moist hide constantly.

20. HDreptiles

HDreptiles Elite Member

I have seen that too. I have a moist hide on the cool side (the whole tank is the cool side at this point, thanks Old Man Winter, for the blizzard) but I have not seen them out of it yet. I checked on them and they were fine, but we will see.