This Disappears When Logged In

New Hoggs Coming!

Discussion in 'Hog Island Boas' started by bigboas, Feb 2, 2012.

1. bigboas

bigboas Elite Member

My gf is getting me a pair of hogg islands in the next couple of days. I set up a 15 gallon tank with newspaper, waterdish also a hide! The temps are at 90 and fall to 80 at night. The rh is at 50 to 60 regularly. Does this sound ok, also how long do they have to stay in the 15 gallon till I have to put them in there 100 gallon thats were thell stay when there full grown.

2. Evozakira

Evozakira Elite Member

Cant wait to see them!!!

3. jamesw

jamesw Elite Member

First off, they are Hog Islands. I wouldn't house them together, if one gets sick, both will get sick, it is really hard to tell who is defacating and who isn't. Are you saying the temps in the entire cage is 90 during the day and 80 at night?

4. bigboas

bigboas Elite Member

Yes 90-80 only because its a small tank give a few degreese hear an there. The 100 gallon I just read after 8 hrs is at 90 hot side and 73 on the cold side.The water is in the middle of the tank use a fishtank thamomiter and it at 72.

5. jamesw

jamesw Elite Member

The 15 gallon will be too hot if it is 90 degrees throughout. What are you using to measure the temps?

6. bigboas

bigboas Elite Member

Cant wait to put the pics up myself been a while since I had babys to care for!

im useing a probe temp from home depot.

A buddy of mine has a couple and he kept his at 85-90 there whole lives and the about 6 now. Wut would you keep them at just curiouse, I want the best keep for them.

7. jamesw

jamesw Elite Member

What are you using to heat the enclosure? Why are you housing them together?

8. bigboas

bigboas Elite Member

Im useing heat bulbs red ones. Ive always hose them together. I have a 55 gal open to. Not sure wut one to put were also.

9. jamesw

jamesw Elite Member

Unless you live somewhere that is relatively humid, glass tanks are one of the worst ways to keep boas. Have you looked into using rubbermaid/sterilite tubs with heat mats and a thermostat?

10. bigboas

bigboas Elite Member

Its fairly humid during the summer here.

11. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

I agree with James. Individual sterilite tubs would be safer for the snakes. Housing them together can be a problem if one gets sick. Also they are not social animals housing together can cause stress. (My BRBs did not do well when I put them together.)
    Also, there should be a hide on each side of the enclosure, the warm side and the cool side. The water dish can be somewhere in the middle.

12. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

I agree with separating, I had a pair of babies that did not do so well while they were housed together, I ended up separating them after the first feeding. And congrats, Hoggies are beautiful snakes!

13. Kernel

Kernel Elite Member

Congrats! I know nothing about boas so I'm staying out of this one.

14. bigboas

bigboas Elite Member

Ok Ill look into the containers. Just wundering on why the containers are better also. Ive always kept my snakes in cages and never had problems, but ill try the containers out and see how that goes.

15. mshrmheadcharge

I've used both and had no problems with either, but I also had a room for my glass enclosures that kept around 80 deg and had the humidifier.

16. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Please stop using the word "wut". There is no such word. we have people from other languages here and it confuses them.

17. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

You can use any type of enclosure you like.
    A sterilite tub is a cheap way to house juvenile snakes and these types of tubs generally hold the temperature and humidity better than the aquarium type tanks with screen lids.

18. bigboas

bigboas Elite Member

Sorry about the merlin I just get going and it happens. Ok I get it now, so as there juvinials keep them in the tubs then switch them to a tank. Ill have to get some "boxes" then.

19. mshrmheadcharge

You don't have to switch over, you can just increase the sterilite container size as the snake grows, of you can get glass tanks, or make your own enclosure. The downside to glass (as stated before) is it does not hold heat/humidity as well so you would have to make some adjustments.

20. bigboas

bigboas Elite Member

My girlfriend brought home one of my hoggies lastnight! Shes beautifull. Only one because alls my buddy had was females. Hes getting a male for me today and bringing him to me today out of his own collection! Pics will be posted in a couple of days!