This Disappears When Logged In

New Hogg! Meet Zeus.. (maybe Male?)

Discussion in 'Hog Island Boas' started by TJOHNSON722, Feb 8, 2011.

1. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

Hello everyone. Before we put him in his cage for the week for quarantine we held him for a bit. (I know I had to). Had no issue with him at all holding him. I think it may be a male due to the length between the spur?? and the tip. If anyone can confirm that would be fabulous. I would rather call him a male name than get him probed. Seems mean to me. Enjoy the pics!!!!!

Attached Files:

2. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Nice looking Hogg! Enjoy!:D

3. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

Congrats! :)

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

A week is nowhere nearly long enough for a quarantine. A minimum of 30 days is suggested and 60 is better.

5. gapeachkatie

gapeachkatie Elite Member

He is definitely a cutie! But listen to Merlin, you don't want to risk it.

6. KristenNC

KristenNC Elite Member

Thanks for sharing the pictures, and congratulations!

7. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

i will wait. i should still hold him roughly every other day though right? to get him used to me and my husband? i want him as docile as possible.

8. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

Give him a week or two to settle in, but the quarantine should be at least sixty days. I generally go ninety, but I am paranoid (don't want anything to spread to my other snakes. Any animal in quarantine should have it's own handling equipment (feeding tongs, hook if needed, etc). While feeding, cleaning, handling- just make sure it is after you care for your other snakes. If the animal in quarantine has some type of parasite you don't want to spread it to your other animals. You can handle him and get him used to you and your husband, but just don't go from that one to one of your established animals without thoroughly cleaning your hands or anything that touched the snake. If you are already aware of this, I apologize since I have no idea of your level of experience,

As to your question regarding the sex of you snake...the most accurate way of telling is to probe. Looking at spur size and distance from spur to end of tail, that is really just hit or miss. If the probe is done correctly, it may be a bit uncomfortable (really can't say...I'm obviously not a snake so I can't say for sure), but it is the most accurate way to tell the sex. Just be sure if you do not have the experience in probing, to let a qualifies herp vet or a qualified breeder to probe him. If you do it yourself without experience, you run the risk of severly injuring your beautiful snake.

Good luck and keep the pictures coming.

9. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

i may eventually get him probed but id rather call him male and be female than right now run the risk or pain for him. my experience varies. i know what ive read or experienced myself. however Ginger my ball is only 6 mths old. she hasnt had any healh problems so far. im going to give the quarantine perio 4-5 weeks then go from there. i do have complete separate equiptment for the hogg. hes still getting adjusted to his enclosure and surroundings now. hes active but he was in a smaller enclosure before igot him.

10. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Done properly, probing is not painful. If it is, then the wrong person is doing it!
    I have had several snakes probed and the worst that happened was the prober got pooped on by the probee!;)

11. Froich

Froich Well-Known Member

Cool snake! Awesome name