This Disappears When Logged In

New Hog!

Discussion in 'Hog Island Boas' started by 30mm, Jul 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 30mm

30mm Elite Member

Hey guys, if you know about my woma incident then you'll know that I was getting a new snake. It happened to be a hog island boa! He's a male going to be 2 years old this August. He's about 2 1/2 feet long with amazing coloration. I'll get pics up as soon as he settles in. Still looking for a name but it'll come.

Cage specs. 20 L with a warm hide, cool hide, aspen bedding, and a piece of grape wood for climbing. cool temp day-84 night-78. Warm side is kept at 95 via thermostat.

Seems like hogs aren't very popular on these forums. Well anyways down to some questions.

Humidity, I've read it should be kept between 40 - 60. What do you use as a substrate? I have him on aspen but you can't get it moist. The humidity stays between 35 and 40 with it. Should I just give him a moist hide or change substrate?

Heating, I'm using a UTH for him right now, is that what most of you guys use? Do you keep it on 24/7?

Well that's it for now, hopefully I get some help, this sub forum has been dead for quite a while!

2. 30mm

30mm Elite Member

Yup... not so popular, I'm sure someone can help me with my questions though as they don't mainly pertain to hogs.

3. Scarlet

Scarlet Active Member

I have several snakes but not a hog nose. I have them on reptibark and do provide them with an under tank pad as wells as a lamp to regulate their day night cycle and provide some heat. There is a water dish provided for them it is big enough for them to get in if they want to soak. Also if I am having trouble with my humidity levels I cover half of their enclosure with a cloth towel to help kept the moisture in.

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

He's talking about Hogg Island Boas, not hognoses.

5. 30mm

30mm Elite Member

Merlin, you're one of the guys that I wanted to chime in. I'm more worried about the humidity. I know you have a boa and I think you keep him on aspen as well? My main question really is can I mist his tank with the aspen as a substrate? If not what's a good substrate that will hold humidity.

6. Merlin

You can mist aspen. I do it with my ball pythons. In fact when they are in shed mode I pour a glass of water directly on the area under the hollow log where they spend most of their time. This is in a 55 gal tank with a screen top.
    For my boa, the enclosure is so constructed to help hold humidity and the large cat litter pan full of water keeps it humid enough that I don't have to spray very often.
    But if you are having trouble with the humidity, try cypress mulch from the garden center. It is a spongy wood that actually will absorb the water and release it more slowly.
    Just make sure its regular cypress and not the red dyed stuff!

7. 30mm

30mm Elite Member

Awesome! Thanks Merlin!!!

8. Drache Dame

Drache Dame Elite Member

you can also get cypress at places like petco and petsmart, and some local pet stores. It's sold by Zoo Med under the moniker "Forest Floor Bedding" Here's a link: Zoo Med Forest Floor Bedding at PETCO

9. Merlin

You can get cypress mulch at the garden center for about 1/4 of the cost of the same thing in the pet store.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.