This Disappears When Logged In

New Hog Comming Tomorrow and I Cant Get the Temp Right!!!

Discussion in 'Hog Island Boas' started by jezabella1982, Mar 4, 2011.

1. jezabella1982

jezabella1982 Well-Known Member

i have a 40 (something) gal. breeder tank with mesh top and i have a 100 watt light bulb shining in and i am trying to get it up to about 87 F but it wont go past 82F......i have tin foil over about 75% of the tank to help keep the heat in........and i have the UTH pad on.

ugggghhhh im trying not to mess this up, im so confused.....

also how i guess i need to put the light on a dimmer at night time to keep the hot spot at 75-80???

please help......

2. alicia123

alicia123 Elite Member

What are you using to check the temps with?

3. awall3202

awall3202 Elite Member

4. jezabella1982

a stick on thermometer it not the digital kind.
    its stuck to the middle of the glass almost right under the light and above the UTH pad

5. jezabella1982

Hey guys!!! It finally reached temp!!yaaayy!!

6. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

if it isn't digital, it might not be accurate. Your temps COULD be 97+ right now honestly! It may have reached what the stick on says is the right temp, but that can be very wrong!

7. jezabella1982

Ok I will have to get a digital one then. Don't wanna burn the lil guy.
    Do I have it stuck in the right place tho..... It sorta in the middle on the hot side but more towards the bottom and heat pad.

8. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Digital with a probe is best, here is one that will measure the humidity and the temperature. The probe should be touching the basking area to accurately read the temperature. if it is just hanging and not touching anything it will just read the air temperature.
    Exo-Terra Combometer - Digital Thermometer and Hygrometer

9. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

You would need to put the thermometer directly under the light/on the heat pad to get an accurate reading. Take the reading where the animal sits, not the air temp near it.

you can get a digital with probe from walmart for about $13. Sneakily called an indoor-outdoor thermometer.

And you need to have your lights off at night, no light at all. The heat pad should keep things warm enough for the night drop.

10. andys3ballpythons

andys3ballpythons Elite Member

walmart has the indoor/outdoor thermometers with humidity for $12, i found min with the lightbulbs and such, and i love it, those sticky ones are meant for fish and they are only somewhat accurate for that even, my fish tank has two of them and a floating mercury thermometer, and it always seems like at least a 5 degree difference. congrats on your boa coming, pics are mandatory! lol

11. andys3ballpythons

andys3ballpythons Elite Member

so did you get your boa? we are waiting for pics!