This Disappears When Logged In

New Herp Software !!

Discussion in 'Product Questions' started by Herpmom, Aug 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Herpmom

Herpmom Elite Member

For those of you just starting out in the herp world and for everyone who's like myself, with larger collections, breeding programs and rescues....is there any argument that proper, adequate record keeping will improve the lives of our captive herps? Want a way to make it easier?

Announcing "Free Herp". The all new, powerful herpetology software pack you've been waiting for. Best of all it's 100% FREE ! Download (only 6.86 megabytes) and start using it today. It has already won an award from Softpedia labs, which has tested Free Herp and found it to be completely clean of adware / spyware components.

Read more and download at http://www.proherp.com/

Free Herp features

You can quickly and easily store and locate herp's using folders - Just Like Windows Explorer

Record vital Herp related information (breeding feeding housing photos & more)

Provide total care for your herps through detailed record keeping

Print Reports (that can Include Photos).

Flexible user interface: Free harp can be skinned just like Win-Amp

Vet bills are expensive - but it's cheaper if you know your herps.

But Don't Just Take My Word For It - go check it out for yourself, there's nothing to lose....it's free !

2. Jade

Jade Supporting Member

I like it so far, i just finished entering in all my herps and i like how easy it is to organize them with the folders. now im off to figure out the rest of it :D

3. Dominick

Dominick Founding Member

I too like it and used something similar in the past. The things I miss from the "other" program are cleaning schedules for tanks and substrate types.

Otherwise, pretty darn handy. Now I have to go measure and weigh everything! LOL

4. jmherp

jmherp Elite Member

There is also a software called herpmaster (www.herpmaster.com) that has EVERYTHING that you could EVER think of to put in, including cleaning, dominick... they have a free trial but the software is $80....but well worth it, we started using it about a month ago, and have loved it.

5. Herpmom

Herpmom Elite Member

A note on Herp master....have you checked out their website lately?

If you look at herp master's website....the download is enormous (over 35 mb - it's not recommended for dial up), it has high system requirements (1 ghz processor, 256 mg ram, 1 gig free space on hard drive) and it doesn't support window NT, 95,98 or me. It also communicates with his server. So while it may be suited for some people, it's not for a lot.

Free herp doesn't have every feature we may all want, because it is a free version. Designed to help the beginner. But for those more serious keepers, there are three levels of Pro herp in the works. These will not be offered for free, though the price will still be very reasonable. They will progressively have more and more of the features we all desire/want/need. Truly amazing.....I know I can't wait!

6. jmherp

jmherp Elite Member

Now the new hobbyist version is more elaborate then the demo... pretty nice...

7. Dominick

Dominick Founding Member

Herp Master looks too complicated right off the bat. I'm a hobbyist who doesn't breed. All I need is a nice place to monitor age, weight, size and feeding schedules. All the rest would be useless for me.

I offered my comments as a suggestion to the program author, nothing more.

Thanks for all the info though. It's nice to see the Herp programming getting a little more attention.

8. jmherp

jmherp Elite Member

Yeah, its complicated, but we (my wife and I) are getting used to it pretty quick, comes with tutorials and manuals. We found that with other free software like herpman and with even with free herp, that it didnt have enough tracking and categories for us, as we DO breed, i can see, and have been told before that HerpMaster, is over kill but for someone like us that has close to 40 herps (including adults and hatchlings) at home right now, it has almost been a necessity. We like HerpMaster over the other free progams due to all its capable functions. And... the new hobbyist version has even more funtions then the original demo i downloaded, so we still have some paying around to do with it...

9. topacelot

topacelot Elite Member

I like and have been using degei www.degei.com (I think) free trial

program is only $20 and I'll get it when I have the $ to spare though this program seems to include breeding which is what's extra in degei

ppl find it more snake based but I like it for my lizards too...I don't usually mark cage cleaning except sometimes memorable bp cleaning lol...I mark snake feeding and shedding, add in baby cresteds, pics of everything

to each his own...just wondering if this program is worth it to switch...anyone have degei also who could give a comparison opinion?

10. jmherp

jmherp Elite Member

Thats why we like herpmaster soooo much, you can add species and genus' in unlike free programs like herpman...

11. topacelot

topacelot Elite Member

you can add genus and species and common name to free trial of degei

12. WingedWolf

WingedWolf Elite Member

Looks like entries for Latin names and common names are automatic in FreeHerp.
    The folders give you enough flexibility that you could use either common or Latin names in categorizing your animals, too. If you wanted, you could categorize them by the type of food they eat, the cage they're in, gender, anything...it's really flexible.
    In the vivarium section, you could easily add the substrate under "notes" when you enter a viv.
    I'm sure cleaning schedules will be added to the paid versions later, too...considering how much FreeHerp gives away, can you imagine what goodies will be in the paid versions? I've heard some of what's going into it, and it's really quite staggering.

FreeHerp is clearly designed to let people check out the program, and to provide tracking software for people with small collections who aren't breeding or who are doing only a very little breeding (it does allow limited breeding tracking). I think a lot of people with tiny collections wouldn't bother to buy software...this way they can still have something very nice and easy to use without having to do that. It's definitely not designed for folks with larger collections--because it's expected those folks will be able and willing to pay for really nice software that does absolutely everything they need. As for HerpMaster...well, the guy's business practices are enough to make ANYONE wince, but if he wants to offer his standard software for free, I guess people should take advantage of that and check it out. I don't think there's any way that program will compete with ProHerp, but I guess it might with FreeHerp...but then, as someone pointed out, it may be too unneccesarily complicated for the folks FreeHerp is aimed at. Folks with larger collections who really don't want to pay for software at all might be interested in HerpMaster.

13. Manhirwen

Manhirwen Elite Member

You know, I tried getting Herpmaster, but I couldn't find it anywhere online. I found a lot of links that lead to nowhere. Is this even still in existence?

14. Herpmom

Herpmom Elite Member

Hey Beth.....

Herpmaster is no longer available. He pulled his product a couple of months ago.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.