This Disappears When Logged In

new here

Discussion in 'Tortoises' started by steptoe91, May 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steptoe91

steptoe91 Member

Hello I am new to the tortise world. I...actually my daughter has a red footed tortise. But since she's 12 and I am teaching her to take care of the tort I guess it's mine until she's older. I was referred here from about.com exotic pets forum. Sunny the tortise has a 2.5 by 2.5 glass cage with coconut husk substrate. We use a heat lamp (white during the day and red at nite) to keep her home 85. We also have a uvb light that the pet store sold us with her. She has a terracotta pot to hide in and a terracotta plate with water in it. She makes little "turtle noises" that sounds like chirping. Anyone know why? Sunny gets to walk around the house usually a couple hours of the day. We feed her every other day with vitamin suppliments and calcium suppliments. Anyone have any advice or pointers? We have had trouble keeping the humidity up in her cage, I thought about buying a humidifier from Wal-mart when I can get the money. Until then we mist her cage frequently. Thanks for any help.
    beth

2. steel rip

steel rip Elite Member

Hello and welcome to HC, glad you could join us, post loads and have fun, and we do love pictures if you have any to share :D

I'm not a tortise keeper myself, but I am sure someone will be along and give you advice you are looking for :D

3. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Hey steptoe, hope my referral pays off for ya. I don't think we have any major tort keepers at about, but I know there's a few people here that have them. If this place doesn't help, you could try that turtle site someone posted to you (or to one of the other recent turtle threads there).

4. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

Welcome to HC!! I have a Redfoot, along with a Sulcata and Russian torts. The humidity issue can be fixed in a couple of ways. 1 partially cover the top of the tank to hold in moisture 2. live plants help to raise humidity (just make sure they are reptile friendly) 3. A moist hide (simply a small house with moist moss inside). My torts make noise as well, usually when they are stuck in a corner, I'm not sure why either. What is the diet you are feeding him? Post some pics if you can!!

5. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

Welcome to HC ... good luck with your Redfoot!

6. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

welcome to HC! redfoots are beautiful. i don't have any but i've seen 'em. definitely post pics if you have the opportunity. :D

7. venus

venus Founding Member

Welcome to herpcenter. Hope you enjoy yourself here.

8. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

Hi Beth,,,welcome to Herpcenter,,,,I'm a tortoise keeper also (Russian)

9. Lyn

Lyn Elite Member

Hi Beth...welcome to Herp Center...I also am a tortoise keeper...a sulcata...he is small, but growing growing growing.....Lyn

10. steptoe91

steptoe91 Member

We feed Sunny romaine lettuce, strawberries, grapes, kiwi, corn, tomatoes, and once every week or two moist cat food (per the pet store)...She hates yellow squash, kale, and carrots. We're still experimenting with new foods. I will try to take some pics tomorrow, (its my day off) and figure out how to post.
    thanks for making me feel welcome
    beth

0.0.1 pacman frog- Bugs
    0.1.0 red foot tortise- Sunny
    0.0.1 dogfaced puffer fish- Sluggo
    0.0.1 hawkfish-Spike
    0.0.1 blue damsel fish- Fiona
    0.0.1 chocolate chip starfish-Cookie
    1.0.0 Dog- Rocky

11. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

Beth
    I would recommend NOT feeding him any catfood. a fresh high fiberous diet is best.
    Take a loot at our caresheet for the Russian Tortoise to give you an idea for basic dietary needs.

12. Jem_Scout

Jem_Scout Elite Member

Hi and welcome to HC :D

13. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

I second Ken on the catfood, although redfoots do eat some (very little) animal proteins in the wild, in the long term in captivity it will lead to problems. I feed my torts a simple high fiber diet. Collard greens, dandylion greens, yam (with the skin on) and occasionally butternut squash. I will let them raom the yard (supervised) and eat the grasses, but only because i know that no one in the neighborhood uses pesticides (they all know I keep animals). Here is the caresheet Ken was talking about. http://www.herpcenter.com/showthread.php?t=2727

We all realize that the older books reccomend dog and cat food, but new findings are steering people away from that practice.

14. steptoe91

steptoe91 Member

Thanks for the info on the catfood. I will steer away from it from now on. We keep crickets for our frog, should I offer one every once in a while to see if she wants it? Since she has discovered fruits she won't eat as much romaine. I have gotten to where we only offer fruit every other meal and we bury it under the lettuce.
    Today when I went in to check on her she was sitting with her head out as far as it will go chirping. I took it to mean "let me out", so I did. So maybe she chirps when she wants something. Everything I have read suggests 70% humidity, is this what I need to shoot for with this tort? My house is pretty steady 30%. (or at least I think that's how you read the gauge I got) Sorry, I did not get the chance to upload any pics, lots to do when you only get one day a week.

15. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Try some other greens besides the romaine lettuce. Collards, bok choy, and dandelions are great, and healthier than romaine. Plus variety is always good to keep your tort stimulated. Don't ditch the romaine completely though. I believe brocolli and cauliflower have pretty high fiber content too.

16. steptoe91

steptoe91 Member

okay, now that I have a pic, how do I upload it?

17. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

click on "post reply" at the bottom of the screen you will see "manage attachments" there you can browse and upload the pic to the post

18. steptoe91

steptoe91 Member

Okay, I uploaded a pic. how to get it to show?

Attached Files:

19. steptoe91

steptoe91 Member

Duh, i guess it worked ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.