This Disappears When Logged In

New Habitat, Just Wondering

Discussion in 'HH General Discussion' started by h20dragon2010, Sep 15, 2010.

1. h20dragon2010

h20dragon2010 Elite Member

I am in the process of designing a large enclosure for my 2 chinese water dragons. I was thinking yesterday about making an enclosure that is easy to drain the water area from because I want a large swimming space.

Maybe this is a really stupid idea, I'm not sure so that's why I'm asking. We have a very large master bathroom in our bedroom that my water dragons love to play in. We don't really use it at all and the only cleaners we use in there because of them are magic erasers and wipes.
    When we clean we always open the window that's in there and open the door to vent it so nothing can be contaminated.

Ok so here is my question....
    Would a large enclosure built around our garden tub in the bathroom work? Or is that ridiculous? It would be 8ft tall x 5ft wide x 6 ft deep. We would be removing the toilet and obviously wouldn't use the garden tub because that would be their pool area. We would not fill the tub up but would only fill it to an appropriate depth.

We would get creative to build areas for them to climb in and out and give them lots of large things to climb on. And we also want to do some kind of rain system to help humidity. The lights would be mounted on the top and they would not be able to reach them. There is only one air vent in there and it would be outside of the enclosure and we keep it almost closed. Open enough just to move air around.

I just want to know if it's a good or bad idea. It just seemed easy to clean and I would be able to walk in to the habitat. If it's a bad idea it's really not a problem. My original idea was to build a 6ft tall x 6 ft wide x 4 ft deep enclosure in the bedroom and have it lifted off the ground about a foot or so that way I could slide some buckets under and drain it a little at a time. I'm not going to be that disappointed if my idea is stupid in using the tub. I'm just having a hard time trying to see for myself why it would be a poor idea. Please let me know what you think. Thanks in advance to all the help.

2. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

I don't own a chinese water dragon, but I have always thought that using a enclosed bath/shower would be the ideal place for a Iguana or water dragon. It's large, has a built in drainage,sliding doors and water supply making it easy to clean. branches could easily be attached and sealed. I'm not sure it your talking about the same thing or not.

3. h20dragon2010

For the most part. My garden tub is just the tub but I would build the enclosure around it. It would actually extend a few feet out from the tub. I'd have to do glass of some sort on the back and side walls and it would be open in front of the tub a few feet. I don't know what I would put at the very front of the enclosure which would have to hold a door so I could go in. Wood? Glass? Wood framing with mesh/screen? Not sure about all the details. Any pointers would be appreciated though. Thanks

4. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

I'm guessing Garden Tub = one of those big jacuzzi tubs? If so I think its a FABULOUS idea. Is there any way you can just give them the whole bathroom? Not sure on how hard that would be to heat (since I don't know how big it is). I mean, you are already taking the toilet out. You could put in a door with a window so you could see them (or just cut a hole in your door and put in plexi. You could keep it humid by just using a room humidifier.

If this idea is not to your liking, building a box around the tub is also fine. Again, don't worry about a misting system and just get a room humidifier. one that has an adjustment for how humid you want it. I have one that has 3 settings. If not you can always put it on a room timer to go on and off a few times a day.

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

An interesting idea. And quite workable if your tub drain will accomodate the dragon's wastes going down it without clogging the drain.
    As for the door, a premade glass storm door might just be what you are looking for.

6. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Also, if you want to build the box around the tub, make it out of wood. It will hold in the heat and humidity. Then as merlin suggested, perhaps a pre-made storm door for entry.

7. h20dragon2010

Wow! You guys are getting me so excited! I really thought it was a bad idea and I just couldn't see why. Lol!
    Well my ideal design is to give them half the bathroom. It's a good size space. The finished product would be 8ft tall x 5ft wide x 6ft deep (that's the size the whole enclosure would be). The tub would be at back of enclosure and in front of the tub would be the cool land side. We'll still have use of our sinks and stand up shower if we need to use that. Other than that it would be a quiet home for the water dragons.

Also yes the garden tub is similar size wise to the jacuzzi tubs but it doesn't have the jets.

8. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, I think housing them together is a mistake, they can inflict serious injuries to each other, even if they appear to get along just now, it only takes a few seconds for something bad to happen.

9. h20dragon2010

I was just learning that actually. My main source of info was tricias water dragon website and she houses a few together so I never thought it would be an issue unless I had two males. My smaller one is a male and the bigger is a female. I am prepared to separate them and build 2 large enclosures if needed. Fortunately, so far there have been no issues. They spend a lot of time out of the cage with me so maybe that helps. And there's no competing for food because I've hand fed them since day 1. I don't know but maybe that made it easier for them to not care so much to be together. I appreciate the concern. Thanks.

10. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

If I didn't live in an apartment with a roommate and only one bathroom, I would LOVE to do that for Tito! lol I think it is a great idea - I would honestly just give them the whole bathroom! haha

11. h20dragon2010

That's funny you said that. We are actually thinking of getting rid of the tank now and just letting them have the whole bathroom. Lol! It's gonna take some time to finish their new home and I don't want to stunt their growth. Plus, maybe with more room I won't have to worry about fighting. (?)
    I want to get a couple cat trees for them to hang out on. I'd remove the carpet and put reptile carpet. I don't know if that's a good idea but I think they'd enjoy them since they love to climb.

12. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, just to mention; they don`t grow to the size of their enclosure, so you won`t be stunting their growth, but you WILL still need to watch for them fighting, although multiple basking spots and hides, and more than one feeding bowl might help somewhat.

13. h20dragon2010

Thanks for the info. I am relieved though I still feel rushed to get them more space. They have 2 basking spots in the tank right now and I plan on having at least 3 maybe 4 in the bigger enclosure. We are going to use some live plants so they have plenty of hiding places and are even thinking of getting 1 or 2 ficus trees for in there as well ( I just have to research more about the ficus trees to make sure they will work with what we want to do). I hand feed both of them so 1) there is no fighting for food and 2) I know exactly how much each one eats.

14. LLoydene

LLoydene Elite Member

I am confused! I thought this is where your Iguana was going to go?

15. h20dragon2010

No I don't own an iguana. I have 2 Chinese water dragons. I'm sure iguanas are great though. :)

16. LLoydene

LLoydene Elite Member

Hmmmm! Where the h-e-c-k did I come up with that!?????

17. h20dragon2010

I think someone with an iguana posted on the thread. Not sure. Lol! Well, either way they both need a large enclosure. :)

18. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

That was me! haha Sorry for the confusion. Other than more space for igs, and larger water tub for WD, housing needs are similar for the too. I want to put MY iguana in the bathroom. But I have a roommate and need to take showers! ;) haha

19. h20dragon2010

If only showers weren't that important! Lol! I know, I'm glad we can spare that bathroom. All of ours are pretty occupied though. We have "the cats' bathroom" which has the food and litter. Then we have another bathroom where I keep my foster squirrels....and then there's the water dragons bathroom. Lol! Don't worry, we still have access to a shower daily! :)

20. LLoydene

LLoydene Elite Member

:-"My god!!! I would hope so!::D:D