This Disappears When Logged In

new guy with an Anaconda.

Discussion in 'Boas *General*' started by khaosinc, Dec 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. khaosinc

khaosinc Member

Greetings, I was referred here from the Iguana zone.

Long story short, a guy at work ended up with a snake, ditched the girlfriend and didn't want it. I was told it was some sort of boa and took it from him.

So the ID is in fact a green Anaconda. I have had large snakes before and am in the position to handle one again, though I wasn't planning it.

My current issue is that the little sweety hasn't eaten in the week and change I have had her, nor in the couple weeks before I got her.

She's in a 150 gallon tank, currently blocked off so she has less than 1/2 of it. Tank is in temp set up mode, about 1/2 water, ambient temp is about 75F and basking is about 90F.

I know she's stressed, but I also suspect that as she is only about 2' long, that she really can't go months on end without eating.

I tried frozen then live mice (Both white and brown) tried the old dip them in chicken broth trick tonight.. again no suck luck.

Any other tricks would be welcome, I do have access to live chicks this time of year.. though they would be a bit big for her. I am currently thinking of feeding her manually soon just because I have no idea how long it has been..

Any advice is welcomed.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

Don't know enough about Boa's to help, but wanted to say "WELCOME!"

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Welcome to HerpCenter, and I am glad you found your way over!
    As I told you earlier the feeding is not yet any real issue. 3 weeks, to a snake, is inconsequential. Force feeding should only be done as a last ditch effort.
    I would just leave the snake alone for a week. No handling, no mucking around in the tank. Just totally alone.
    Then try to feed.

4. khaosinc

khaosinc Member

I know for an older snake 3-4 weeks is nothing, but as I understand it, an anna is born over 12"... and not knowing the history of this snake past a few weeks, and assuming it was bought from a local pet store out here in the boonies where I live (about 100 miles north of Seattle near the canadian border) I suspect she may not of eaten there either. Her skin feels loose on her body. Its been a long time since I had a large snake, but it doesn't feel right. Also since I have had her, she has not pooped, nor was there any evidence of such activities in the cage she came in.. which I can only assume was never cleaned.

And advice on tank size. I have the 150 blocked off to a little less than 1/2 size (about 20"w X2'L) would putting her back in the 10 gallon be better? she's a shade over 2' long now.

Forgive my paranoia... maybe part of it is ego, but I have taken on a dozen rescues in the last couple years. Everything from dogs to goats to herps. I haven't lost one yet, and a few are now living in a much better long term home. (call it the joys of living near a college town). This is the first that I've had a bad feeling about. I had a burmese for many years.. and I kinda have it in my head that this is payback for what I put that poor old girl through

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I would put it back in the 10 gal and leave it be for a week.

If it hasn't been feeding then there would be nothing to come out the other end.

If the snake's skin is very loose than you may indeed have a problem. Have you ever force fed a small snake before? Its a very tricky and dangerous procedure. Done improprely it can kill the snake. Have you had a chance to have the snake looked at by a vet?
    I would still give the snake a week left alone and then try to feed. If the snake still won't eat then we can back up and regroup.

6. titus

titus Elite Member Premium Member

I'm going to have to side with the masses and say you still have some time before you really have to worry. If the next feeding doesn't go well you may want to try live mice. Though it's not ideal I have a pair of snakes that won't eat anything that they haven't themseves killed.

I also wouldn't take the tradtional form of force feeding. I would simply place the feeder in the snakes mouth and let him do the rest (you may have to place it in more than once). This method of feeding has worked well for me in the past untill snakes started eating on their own.

7. KrokadilyanGuy3

KrokadilyanGuy3 Elite Member

Anacondas are prone to being finicky eaters. Don't limit yourself to mice and scents. You may have to try chicks, ducklings, fish, rat pinkies or pups. Cut the head off of a mouse or rat and see what happens over night. Set the item near the water source. Your animal may also just not want to eat be it stress of just because that's how anacondas are.

Anacondas are also a bit flanky with skin as well, and via your pictures, I would not worry too much about it until you start seeing actual health problems.

Just leave the animal be for awhile. I would give it two weeks of doing nothing with the animal unless you have too. (Change out the water or soiled bedding.) Other than that, leave it. I would also leave the animal it the current enclosure, however, I would add more coverage for the animal to hide. From your pics it doesnt look like the animal has many places to hide. Deal with that first if its the case.

Anacondas can be tricky.

8. nicole

nicole Elite Member

If you live where I think you live,, you might want to check the laws there on anacondas,, especially if you live in the city limits. I live close to you.
    On another note I agree with everyone else,, give just a little more time and let her settle in. If you have never force fed,, please have a professional show you before you try on your own. I can recommend a very good vet if you need one.

9. Ssativa

Ssativa Subscribed User Premium Member

I don't know much about anacondas, except that they grow enormous, but KrokadilyanGuy seems to have some really good tips. If your gut feeling tells you something is wrong though, I would definately take him to a vet if that is possible.

Good Luck!

10. KrokadilyanGuy3

KrokadilyanGuy3 Elite Member

Yeah, no harm can come from visiting a vet.

11. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

Welcome to HC!
    From the pics, the snake looks meaty enough to fast for a while. Try not to panic. The animal has been through a lot, and as Zane said: anacondas can be tricky.

BE PATIENT and try to stay calm. Here's a story for reference:
    We have a GTP that is just over 3ft and has always been on the slim side: he FINALLY broke a 5 MONTH fast!! (20 weeks of trying different feeding tricks to get him to eat!!!)... Then one night my husband opened the terrarium, reached in with an F/T rat on the tongs and "bang", the snake snapped it up in a flash. He ate the second one offered as well and 10 days later, he ate two more. :rolleyes:

Truth be told: regular feeding is not really "natural" for these animals. Their bodies were designed for feast and famine cycles. I think force-feeding in any form is really unnecessary in a healthy animal. A vet can check that he doesn't have mouth rot or parasites, etc. But we, as caretakers, have to learn to back off and relax. If he's healthy: when the time is right, he'll eat whatever he gets.

As Zane said: give the snake some better hiding places, then leave him alone completely. If the tank is in a high-traffic area of the house, try covering the glass with paper on a few sides. Decide on a day of the week for feeding and stick to it. Try heating up the F/T mouse or rat with a hairdryer or under a heat lamp. Feed in the dark. If he doesn't take it; don't pester him. Just try again 7 days later. In the time between, leave him alone as much as possible.

Make sure he has the right temperatures, and lots of fresh water. He could be going into a shed cycle too, in which case he probably won't want to eat until it's over.

Good luck!! :)

12. khaosinc

khaosinc Member

The snake is currently in my spare room, usually used for storage, so no one goes in there but me, once or twice a day to check on her.

I have force fed a snake once before although it was almost 20 years ago. It was a Ball python that had a calcium deposits in its stomach. She lived 10 years after that with my ex gfriend.

The vet will have to wait till after new years (the joys of living in the boonies.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.