This Disappears When Logged In

New Green Tree Python

Discussion in 'Green Tree Pythons' started by Snakewomen, Nov 3, 2012.

1. Snakewomen

Snakewomen Active Member

I just got a new green tree python (that i got 2 days ago) and wanted to post a couple pictures and concerns. As a concerned snake mom, I just wanted to see what people thought about this sound that my green tree python was making. It was only when I touched him with my snake hook which is why I'm almost certain that its a hiss. But, it has a very bubbly, crinkling paper sound to it and I wanted to make sure it didn't sound like RI. One last thing is that I don't know why there is black on his nose. I know that it is probably nothing but, like I said, I am a VERY paranoid snake mom. I am not dumb, but I am paranoid.

Heres the link to the picture and video: this is my first post so I can't post them I will post them in the comments.

Attached Files:

2. Pharoahound

Pharoahound Elite Member

Cute guy! Joey will be here soon to help ;p

3. Snakewomen

Snakewomen Active Member

4. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Perhaps getting ready to shed; I'm sure that someone with experience will be by, in the meantime can you give us as many details as possible about the enclosure, temp, humidity and what you are using to measure these as well as how you are heating. Photo of the whole set up as well.
    Thanks

5. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

Bubbly, crinkly paper sound doesn't sound right. I always think worse case scenario though too. I've also never has one so I'm not sure. Give us a rundown of stuff as posted previously.

6. Snakewomen

Snakewomen Active Member

Yeah, I don't know when the last time he shed was. His enclosure is somewhat temporary. I am saving up for one by Christmas. His temperature in the day is always 82-87 and it drops at night to around 79-80. The humidity in the day is 70%-80% and I let it dry out at night. His enclosure has a good amount of perches and is heated by 2 different kinds of heat pads. His new enclosure will have a light and heat pad. Other than that noise he seems ok. He was active when I unpacked him and try to escape going into his new home. I don't think it is a husbandry problem, but if you think there is a problem with the temperature and humidity.

7. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

Your video is really short so I can't hear the sound that well. It does sound like a regular hiss to me from what I can hear. Your temps seem to be fluctuating a bit if it's going from 82-87. I think you should also invest in digital thermometer and hydrometer with probes. 86,87 is a good temp to keep them constant at (what I keep mine at under the heat panel) They other side of the enclosure should be a little cooler. Tubs are great for chondros because they hold humidity really well actually and they do require privacy till adjusted. Humidity I would shoot for 80% atleast then allow it to drop as the day goes on and over night like you're doing. Try not to spray directly on the snake that often since they don't always care for it. When I do spray mine I use hot water, it cools off as it's sprayed and doesn't shock them with it being cold.

Pay attention to her breathing, if he only makes that sound when touched he's probably okay. Your guy seems to be an Aru? I can't see the black spot on the nose well enough to see if it's a scale. Alot of chondros often have black scales aswell that you may see here and there. Overall he looks really good and you have him in a nice home. Look forward to seeing more of him :) If you can get close ups of the face it would help.

8. Snakewomen

Snakewomen Active Member

Sorry, what I meant by 82-87 was that one side of his cage was around 83-85 and the warmer side is 86-87. My new cage will have a very nice thermometer and thermostat.i do not spray directly on the snake :) also he is an aru and here is a closer up picture
    image.jpg

And longer version of that video+new video: Pictures by Mandy01231 - Photobucket

9. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

Okay the video sounds perfectly fine to me. Mine do the same thing when touched. As to the little black spot it might just be a little rub mark or something. My female had something similiar on her nose too but after a few sheds it was gone. Yours will probably lose that aswell.

By the way welcome aboard

10. Snakewomen

Snakewomen Active Member

I feel better now :) Thank you!

11. Snakewomen

Snakewomen Active Member

He just died :(((
    Right before he died, he pooped then started breathing through his mouth, then twisting his body, then stretching his body up, then spit out blood then died. [ image.jpg ATTACH=CONFIG]20508[/ATTACH]
    Dead: image.jpg

12. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

That's HORRIBLE!!! So sorry for the lose!

13. Snakewomen

Snakewomen Active Member

Thank you. Yes, I am devastated.

14. Pharoahound

Pharoahound Elite Member

Wow I'm so sorry that was un expected... :(

15. Snakewomen

Snakewomen Active Member

Yeah it was very sudden

16. Pharoahound

Pharoahound Elite Member

Could he have chocked on something?

17. Snakewomen

Snakewomen Active Member

I didnt feed him, there is nothing in his cage small enough to fit in his mouth, and I checked him mouth after he died and there
    Was nothing in there. So, I don't think so.

18. Pharoahound

Pharoahound Elite Member

Oh :( he must have just has trouble breathing from RI I suppose.

19. Snakewomen

Snakewomen Active Member

But the blood makes me think he got injured in transit

20. justor

justor Elite Member

It really could have been a number of issues. Did you purchase the snake directly from a breeder? Wherever you got it, I would bring this situation to their attention. You only had the snake for less than a week right? You may be entitled to a replacement/refund, at least I would hope so. I would ask about feeding and shedding records. I would also suggest getting a necropsy done on the deceased snake to try and determine the cause of death. Bringing in a sample of the feces, and the blood may also help narrow down the cause of death.

If the snake had parasites or something I'm sure the breeder would be interested in hearing about it. Also you say you think it may have been injured in transit... so you had the snake shipped? How was the snake packaged, and was the box insulated?