This Disappears When Logged In

New Glass

Discussion in 'General Construction' started by Jem_Scout, Oct 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jem_Scout

Jem_Scout Elite Member

How do you change the glass in a 10 gallon aquarium? Can I do it myself?
    The tank is pretty broken but together yet and not safe to just seal it up and call it good :p
    I would feel better with new glass in it because a rat will be living in it and I don't want them to be able to chew the silicone and get cut. If I have to throw it out, that's ok too...I just want the rat to be safe :)

2. Rakoladycz

Rakoladycz Elite Member

Not positive but i would think you might be able to use paint thinner or something similar to it to get rid of the existing silicon/epoxy stuff then put the new glass in its place secure it and put some epoxy let set and your good to go...

now it may not be that simple and i could just be a complete idiot but its worth a shot (especially if you are just gonna toss it out) if nobody else knows

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Jem You have one of two options, you can just take a peice of plastic and silicon it to the broken glass (simplest). Or you can remove the glass. The top and bottom frames will pull off. Taking a single edge razor blade slice thru the silicone at the edges. Be very careful for with the glass already being broken it will be very easy to spiderweb and crack. Remove the broken panel and as much of the old silicone as you can. Make sure you have all the peices of glass out of the tank before the next step. Take the replacement panel and put in place and hold it in position with tape. Run a bead of silcone along all edges and with a moistened finger draw your finger along the bead pressing it and forming it into the corner. It will need to sit for 48 hours to cure and it is best done outside or your entire house will reek of vinegar!

4. Jem_Scout

Jem_Scout Elite Member

The panel is pretty busted up...I think it will be safer to replace it.
    I'll do what ya said Merlin. Better yet...I'll have hubby do it! :p LOL
    heehee, Jem

5. venus

venus Founding Member

lol. Around here the glass would cost more than buying a new 10 gl tank. Thats another option for you, unless you already have the glass. ;)

6. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

Ditto Marsha !!!! 10 gals. are pretty cheap,,,,but like you said,,,Jem might already have the replacement glass.

7. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

I'm as big a fan of rats as I am herps, and I'd say a 10 gal is too small for a rat to be happy in, if he's a pet. If he's chow, then I guess it kinda depends on you. I always give a 20 gal minimum for rats when they're pets. My three babies live in a rabbit cage.

8. Jem_Scout

Jem_Scout Elite Member

This would just be a tank for the moms to give birth in....until the babies are fed off as pinkies or frozen for snake food. And yes, we have the glass already. I just wasn't sure of how to do it :p
    Thanks! Jem

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.