This Disappears When Logged In

New Gecko Enclosure Almost Done

Discussion in 'Enclosures' started by mld, Apr 29, 2010.

1. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Well we are almost done with the Geckos new enclosure, very pleased with it, the temperaturs are good and it's much bigger. They are finally separated;) no more hanky panky for them.
    Michele

Attached Files:

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

That looks just great, well done! I`m not sure if this species is capable of parthenogenesis, but maybe there`s still a chance you`ll hear the patter of tiny feet!

3. mld

Well, not sure about that, but today is their first day apart. since we got them she has laid 5 eggs, 2 at 1st, 1 a couple of weeks later. They are gone now. Until then I didn't know that he had any involvement in this but I finally saw the light :eek: he was all over her, poor girl had no chance of getting away from him.
    For a little guy he was very determined to mate with her. Chirping up a storm, to warn her he was looking for her. Well it was like a rodeo show! So 2 weeks later she laid 2 more eggs. She covered them up and wouldn't let him in that hide, he was only allowed in the other one. After she laid those eggs he was at it again. :rolleyes:
    So now 5 days later they are finally separated. :D We left the last 2 eggs in the old habitat, we'll see what happens. Now they are both trying to get over the to the other side, maybe they were ment tobe together? It's crazy I tell ya
    Michele

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Its like that with mating. That is a VERY predominant drive. But they will be much better apart. The constant mating would not only stress the female out but would wear her body down physically. This would seriously shorten her lifespan.

5. mld

Yes, I think the separation is the best for all involved. My daughter wishes they could stay together, but knows they can't. I've explained to her that the making and laying of the eggs takes alot out of Charlie and it wouldn't be good for her in the long run. This new enclosure made my daughter feel much better about the separation, since they are in the same tank but with a little wall between them.
    Michele

6. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

It is best they`re apart, but they can still hear each other, although that won`t do them too much harm. (A little frustrated they may well be, though)! ;)

7. Frognut

Frognut Subscribed User Premium Member

You did the right thing by separating them -- and boy did you do a BEAUTIFUL job at it! (or was that your daughter?) That is one gorgeous tank - well tank(s)!

Although directly from the front you can't tell it has two separate sides.

It looks fabulous!!

8. mld

Thanks Stephanie

My husband and I did the wooden box around the tank, I had some souvenirs from Egypt that I silicone on the bottom, picked up the tank on a local kijiji ad, it had a crack that I silicone. Made some lean-tos out of slate and just bought a couple of succulent plants, some play sand and clay saucers at the dollar store for water. Still doing some work on it. We made the wooden box too tight and we'll need to adjust that so the top fits on, we are just using foil right now. It was so much fun to do.

Michele