This Disappears When Logged In

New Fire Skink

Discussion in 'Skinks' started by Ellie Boughton, Apr 9, 2017.

1. Ellie Boughton

Ellie Boughton New Member

Hi, I'm new here so I apologize if this is a reoccurring question. I've recently decided to get a fire skink as a birthday present from myself which is coming up on the 20th. I have read that I only have to feed them once every three days, but does that apply to juveniles, and how much do I feed them, such as how many crickets or superworms? Also I wanted to know if I'm missing anything from my list of Supplies. I'm getting a 20 gallon tank, eco earth, basking lamp and light (I don't know if I need it but I read something about it), im getting a water dish, climbing pieces, plants and temp/hygrometer gauges. Last thing is do you have any tips? Like taming or handling? I'm sorry to ambuse you with this long paragraph but I need to know everything or close to it so I don't hurt it. Thank you so much!!

2. Cactus Jones

Cactus Jones New Member

Hello, (this is coming from someone who has never had a fire skink but has down hours and hours of research as I recommend you do) in terms of tank size I would recommend eventually upgrading to a 30 or 40 gal but you will be fine with a 20 for a few years. They can be in a 20 they're whole life but upgrading is recommended. For feeding I would say a few bugs every other day or every two days, I think every three days is too little. For supplies you're pretty much set except I think you get an under tank heating pad. With lighting you should get a bulb that emits UVA, uvb is not necessary as long as you are dusting they're food with D3 calcium powder. For handling and they're temperament, they are very skiddish especially if it's a wild caught, captive bred are supposedly more tame. They are not easy to tame and can be aggressive (again this is all just stuff I've heard from forums and such) of course I don't think anything new will ever get one tamed as much as maybe a leopard gecko but enough to have it out the cage and trust it not to run off.
    Hope this helps and if you have any more questions I'd be happy to answer them if I can. And im actually am going to get a fire skink in about a month myself!

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member