This Disappears When Logged In

New Female Hypo Columbian Red Tail

Discussion in 'Common/Red Tail Boa' started by Goon Squad, Feb 23, 2016.

1. Goon Squad

Goon Squad Member

I recently purchased a female hypo columbian red tail from a local breeder. I was told she will be 2 years this April. She is just under 3ft long, just fed her a small rat today. I was wondering what size will she grow to be? The breeder said that both the parents were about 5 feet. Does that mean mine will be about the same? I have read the females get closer to 7 feet and up, so 5 feet for the mom sounded small. She is a BCI, not a BCC. Does the mom being 5 feet limit the size mine will grow to or does she have the potential to be 6, 7 feet? Any info would help, thank you

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Just because the parents are only 5 ft does not mean that your snake will only grow to that size. The parents may not be fully grown. And the growth of snakes is predicated on their feeding so they may have been under fed.
    Generally females will hit 6-8 feet but 10 feet has been recorded.

3. Goon Squad

Goon Squad Member

Cool, thanks. What about the size of my snake now? She is just under 3 feet, and will be 2 yrs. this April. I was thinking a little small, may be wrong. And would feeding her more now increase or get her caught up to where she should be?

4. Merlin

I never really worried about timelines versus length as long as the snake was healthy. And if the breeder was keeping the food intake down that could result in slower growth. If so increasing the food intake(within reason) would likely increase growth.
    You might up the feeding size to medium rats. Do you have any pictures?

5. Goon Squad

Goon Squad Member

There she is, her name is Rosie. Fed her a small rat yesterday. Should I feed same size rat again tomorrow or wait a week and up the rat size?

pic.JPG pic2.JPG

6. Merlin

She looks good. Although could use a little more weight.
    Keep your feeding spaced out. Feeding too often will keep their digestive system ramped up.

How long is it taking her to swallow the small rat? If it goes pretty fast you can increase the size or add a second feeder.

7. Goon Squad

Goon Squad Member

She swallowed it pretty fast, I didn't time it exactly but it was pretty quick. Will feed her more next week, thank you for the help