This Disappears When Logged In

New Enclosure Idea

Discussion in 'Pythons *General*' started by Chris89, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Chris89

Chris89 Member

I was recently given an old China cabinet that i have no need for, and have been tossing around the idea of converting it into a reptile enclosure. As of right now I'm still unsure of what animal I'm going to use it for tho I have been leaning more towards a snake of some kind. I used to own 6 ball pythons that i rescued from one of my uncles rental houses until about a year ago when i moved across county and had to pass them on to my lil brother. I enjoyed my ball pythons, tho I dont think ill go with one this go around. Anyone have any suggestion on a type of snake that likes to climb but doesn't need alot of climbing space? I'm not sure of exact china cabinet demetions but the top half that will be the enclosure itself is roughly 2-2 1/2 feet tall. Any suggestions?

2. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

How comfortable are you with snakes and how much are you willing to spend?

3. Chris89

Chris89 Member

I'm very comfortable with snakes, and as of yet I havnt found a snake that I'm not comfortable with handling. Right now my spending limit is kind of hard to know, it kinda depends on what it'll cost to convert the cabinet into an enclosure, but it'll probably be in the $500-$700 range. For the next few years I won't be able to have a snake that grows more then 6-8 ft, I have a very active and curious 3 year old so my g/f isn't comfortable with anything bigger. Also I don't have the room at the moment for a bigger enclosure so it will have to be one that won't out grow the enclosure I'm building. Unfortunately I won't be allowed to have the snake that I really want until my g/f is more comfortable around them and able to help me handle a reticulated python.

4. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Well with the size of the enclosure a green tree python would work but they are about 450-1000$ and are more hands off. Not something you can take out and play with daily.
    Amazon tree boas are supposed to be fairly mild tempered and hardy but they might need a larger cage...usually something 3ft wide and 3-6ft tall I think.
    Radiated rat snakes are said to be good climbers but stay on the ground mainly and it is snippy with attitude problems.
    Or carpet pythons are arboreal.

However I don't know the actual dimensions of the hutch so I don't know if any of these will work to stay in the hutch for life. Plus I don't know much about snakes so all this is just vague knowledge I read somewhere but haven't looked into in depth.

5. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

If you're comfortable with snakes then I'd say a gtp. Despite they're reputation if you're good with snakes you'll be okay with them. Some have a bit of a temper but knowing how to handle them makes it easy, some are as calm as any other python. Getting to 6 feet is usually a big female, males are smaller and as far as looking at snakes... can't beat them in my opinion :) Only draw back will be price in the set up and in the animal (go with breeder, much healthier animals) it would be close to your budget but do-able

6. jdandlucy

jdandlucy Elite Member

for most snakes i believe their enclosure needs to be 2/3rds their adult size. for example an average carpet python gets 6 foot ( except coastal ) they need a 4 foot long enclosure. carpet pythons are semi arboreal so they will spend as much time if not more on the floor as in the trees. their equipment cost is also a lot easier on the budget. they are nippy inside their cage but chill out when outside it. the females seem to be a bit more aggressive than the males, but get a bit bigger. very active compared to ball pythons. i myself have been thinking of doing a corner china cabinet enclosure as a show piece enclosure for my future jungle carpet

7. Chris89

Chris89 Member

I'd love to have a Green tree Python, and once I get the extra space for its enclosure ill have one. I've already got an enclosure for a snake that size, but with limited room in my house and a small child that likes to hit glass its just not going to happen anytime soon. The part of the China cabinet that will have the enclosure is roughly 2-2 1/2 ft tall, 2 ft deep, and 3 1/2 ft long. Most of the snakes that will fit and be comfortable in that size of an enclosure just don't really interest me. I'm not a big fan of rat snakes, king snakes, and such, I'm more of a python and boa kind of person. The problem is my g/f is nerves around snakes and wants to try getting over that, so she wants a snake and told me I could get one I want if its not very big... Temperament wise I'd like one that has some aggression so I can teach her how to read a snakes body language but one that still will tolerate being held.

8. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Carpet python? They are cage aggressive but calm when outside of it. If you got a male it should fit, I think.

9. jdandlucy

jdandlucy Elite Member

a male carpet would do good in that size, just dont get a coastal they get far to big. the body language of carpets is very easy to read, and their hiss is very clear.

10. Chris89

Chris89 Member

I've been looking into carpet pythons and finding out what they need and such. I think it'd be a decent to start my g/f out with, she's not scared of snakes just nervous around them. I grew up with a family friend that had his hot liscence so I was always around venemous snakes and lost most of my nervesness helping with cleaning and moving his collection. I just can't seem to find a breeder around me that sells carpets, and I have yet to find a store around here that takes decent care of their snakes for sale. I don't want to start with a snake that's stressed and sick already.

11. jdandlucy

jdandlucy Elite Member

look for reptile shows in your area. they will give you bigger selection of breeders you normally would not be able to find. their is a link on the left side of the main page for upcoming shows.

12. medusa1974

medusa1974 Well-Known Member

I had green tree pythons, not a good idea if you want to have them around a child. Like everyone has told you carpet pythons are a good choice. Why not stick with a ball python until your child is older and your girlfriend is more comfortable. I honestly don't think the china hutch is the best of enclosures due to the humidity you need to keep your snake happy. If you have the funds why not build a good custom enclosure and go with a red tail boa or something in that range.

13. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

The humidity shouldn't be an issue as long as you seal the cage real well. Lots of people convert furniture into enclosures including china hutches for CWDs.

14. Chris89

Chris89 Member

The humidity won't be much of a problem, and I've converted many diffrent pieces into enclosures without any problems with humidity. The main concern I have about it is wether or not a snake will have the room to move around or not once I get it reptile safe. Once I get it converted ill be able to decide if its roomy enough for a snake or if I give it to my g/f to use for a reptile she wants.

15. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

What reptile does she want?

16. Chris89

Chris89 Member

She's pretty set on a bearded dragon, she's wanted one for about a year now.

17. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

The enclosure is too small for a bearded dragon. A baby would be fine in it but an adult will need something the size of 4x2x2 or bigger.

18. Chris89

Chris89 Member

Yea that enclosure would be too small for an adult Bearded Dragon, but like my g/f tells me all the time I have a serious problem with buying enclosures I dont need. I have a 10x20 storage unit full of diffrent size tanks and custom built enclosures that I pick up if I happen to see some for sale lol. I probably have enough tanks and enclosures to build my own reptile exhibit( which I have considered), and I have a 6'x3'x2.5 custom tank that would work just fine for it.

19. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

That would work. But then why don't you use one of those other tanks for a snake?

20. Chris89

Chris89 Member

Because right now I need one that is out of our 2 1/2 year olds reach, and something I don't want to have to worry so much about being pushed over by him. He's at that age where he wants to try to get into everything, and the China cabinet is the kind with a desk like bottom and a cabinet on top well out of his reach. It would also be high enough that I don't have to worry about him being right in front of the tank trying to get into, or stressing out the snake.