This Disappears When Logged In

New Enclosure for Large Tortoise

Discussion in 'Tortoises' started by SakuraWillow, Sep 15, 2013.

1. SakuraWillow

SakuraWillow New Member

I have an African Spurred Tortoise that was given to me by a person who did not want it anymore in 2007. I believe he is a male, and he currently weighs >80 pounds (I got him when he was 45 pounds). Because of his size, I am having difficulty caring for him properly. I have contacted numerous zoos/the herp society in my area, but no one is able to take him. I am young, and I still live with my parents, but I have been looking to move; however, I want to be sure my tortoise is able to be cared for somewhere/somehow. Currently, I have been thinking of building a new indoor enclosure fit enough for him and just pay my parents back for extra electricity/food costs. When it is >45 degrees outside, he is in a very large outdoor enclosure. But winter is creeping around the corner, and the past few nights, I have had to carry him inside. He is difficult to carry (for obvious reasons), and I know my parents will not be able to carry him. I am not happy with his current indoor enclosure; it is roughly a 5' x 9' x 3.5' (height). This is located in the basement. I use hay for his substrate (I change it regularly), and I have a red heat lamp to keep him warm. During the summer, I pick food for him from the yard/woods. I live out in the country, and no chemicals are used on the lawn. During the winter, I feed him romaine lettuce, carrots, broccoli, squash, kale, and other assorted veggies. He is a very picky eater, so it is hard to get him to eat other things. I want to build a new, bigger indoor enclosure with proper heating/lighting, and provide him with a proper diet as well. I was unable to do this before because I did not have money, and my parents don't like the fact that I even have him to begin with. I am looking for substrate ideas that would be appropriate, how to set up a lighting fixture/heating conditions that would be effective for his size, etc. Any help would be appreciated!!

2. Vers

Vers Elite Member

I don't have much time (commercial break during breaking bad) but I would seriously suggest reading through the tortoise trust website. Aside from housing there are a lot of things that need to be adjusted in order to ensure a healthy future. I'll check back in to help out further once I get a chance.

3. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Well if your still open to adopting out you can try posting an add here: Tortoise Forum - An Online Community of Tortoise Experts - Tortoise Care, Tortoise Photos, Reptile Classifieds they are a huge organization of tortoise owners and they have a rescue unit that could possibly transport him to someone if there isn't someone already close to you.

If you want to keep it it isn't feasible to have an indoor enclosure when these torts get up to 200lbs. Your best bet is too have an underground burrow of some sort. Would your parents be ok with that?