This Disappears When Logged In

New Enclosure and New Bed

Discussion in 'General Construction' started by rmzsuzuki89, Nov 25, 2010.

1. rmzsuzuki89

rmzsuzuki89 Elite Member

Well I figured while Apophis is hibernating I would start on his/her new cage. As I was measuring things out, I realized that I was gonna loose about a quarter of my floorspace. Between my bed and the tegu cage, tv, desk, speakers, and such, I was looking at only about half of my room being walk-on-able floor. Then I had a bit of an idea.....On to the pictures.

1z2nkmh.jpg

s0xudh.jpg

f5dp1.jpg

2rfc5xl.jpg

m7dqwg.jpg

2cg1om.jpg

That's all I got done today, well with the help of my gf and dad. The bed part will be finished up pretty quickly, but the enclosure part may be drawn out over a few weeks because Apophis is in hibernation, so there's no real hurry.

Attached Files:

2. Flint

Flint Elite Member

That is an awesome idea!!! A tegu would be an awesome bunk-mate :p

I think I will have to consider this when I move out and start planning future reptile cages.

I can't wait to see how it turns out!!

3. rmzsuzuki89

rmzsuzuki89 Elite Member

Thanks, it's gonna save me a ton of floor space...And good guess, I should have mentioned that Apophis is in fact a B/W tegu lol.

Deminsions are 61" wide x 81" long x 34.5" high.

4. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Great idea, you'll be nice and toasty, it will be like camping out together. Can't wait to see the finished project! Are you using different types of wood?

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Very creative idea! It will be interesting to see if the heat from the cage effects the temperature of the bed in summer.

6. rmzsuzuki89

rmzsuzuki89 Elite Member

I'll be using some sort of plywood for the walls and floor of the enclosure, and it will all be sealed when done.

That's what I'm waiting to see too. If It gets too hot I'll put some sort of insulation between the matress and top of the cage.

7. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Wow, with me moving back to Michigan, I might adapt this idea, so I can have a heated bed during winter, lol.

Pretty clever!

8. rmzsuzuki89

rmzsuzuki89 Elite Member

There you go lol.

9. rmzsuzuki89

rmzsuzuki89 Elite Member

Decided to take a couple pics of his "baby enclosure" inside of what will be his new enclosure. The tank is a 30 gallon long.

2lbklk8.jpg

11raanc.jpg

Attached Files:

10. Frognut

Frognut Subscribed User Premium Member

DANG!!! Boy have you just opened a WHOLE big can of worms here!!

Brilliant!!! Simply Brilliant!

I have been plotting for MONTHS with graph paper and tape measure in hand --- and here is the answer sitting right UNDER the bed!!

And aren't the platform beds coming back into fashion?? Look Honey, I designed a beautiful poster platform bed -- we can sleep like King and Queen! um... just don't mind the rustling noises coming from under the bed...:rolleyes:

I CAN NOT wait to see this project progress! You are the MAN!

11. rmzsuzuki89

rmzsuzuki89 Elite Member

Haha I could see having a guest sleep in there and hear noises under them in the morning and being worried lol. They look under, and there's a 4' guard lizard, that'll teach them to stay in my room when I'm not home haha.

And I don't know if they're coming back into style or not, but I love it even without needing the cage under there yet.

12. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Going to be fun cleaning the very back corner, lol. Undoubtedly, he will probably want to defecate there every time.

13. teach920

teach920 Subscribed User Premium Member

Well Dang, the pictures aren't loading for me, but from reading the posts above, I am assuming you are gonna have like a loft bed and the enclosure is going to be beneath it......
    This is just a thought, (To help with the issue that issue that Dragoness has brought up)....put the enclosure on a "trunnel" frame..(not sure how to spell it, but basically the bed/matress frame that slides underneath a bed and has wheels on it)....if you do that, you will be able to slide it out and move it around much easier.....it would definitely help with cleanings and allow you more options if you chose to move it to a different area....
    I just put a loft bed in my sons room last week and he LOVES it...those things really do open up the space in a room....
    I'm gonna check back later and hopefully the pictures will load...this is for sure a build I want to see progress.

14. rmzsuzuki89

rmzsuzuki89 Elite Member

I thought about that, but it would be pretty easy to just crawl in and clean it.

That would be a pretty good idea, but I'm just gonna build it to the 4x4s. I don't think it'll be to hard to crawl in.

15. rrcoolj

rrcoolj Elite Member

Wow I love the idea and I am really looking forward to the finish product. Good luck with the build I will be following this thread.

16. rmzsuzuki89

rmzsuzuki89 Elite Member

Thanks

17. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Not to mention, most shovels have long handles.

18. rmzsuzuki89

rmzsuzuki89 Elite Member

Haha never thought of that, but very true.

19. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

:) Oh that is so cool.. Haha, there are no monsters under the bed.....just a monster tegu! I really love the idea, what a space saver! Now I have to think about fun building things like this haha!

20. rmzsuzuki89

rmzsuzuki89 Elite Member

Haha...And it was really fun to build for me, I love building things lol. I can't wait to get back started on it again.