This Disappears When Logged In

New Dubia Colony Not Producing

Discussion in 'Feeders' started by gpolkin, Jan 2, 2014.

1. gpolkin

gpolkin Well-Known Member

Hello all,

Roughly a month ago I decided to increase my dubia roach production so I added a second tub and started it off with roughly 40 adult females and 20 males. Later I added 100 large nymphs.

The second tub is running on the same thermostat as my original but it has a bit more flexwatt mat so it tends to run hotter(90-95) while my original tub is more like 75.

I checked the new tub today and there where almost no(maybe a dozen) small or baby nymphs. The adults looked fine and there were only one or two dead adults. I can see small nymphs in my original tub so I know it is still producing.

One idea I had is that somehow I let my water crystals get too liquidy and the nymphs are drowning. I saw some small black dots in the crystals when I checked today. They were too big to be poop so maybe young nymphs. The strange thing is that I have used the same crystals in both tubs.

Any ideas?

Greg

2. AdamL8

AdamL8 Elite Member

Keep them hot and well fed and give it time. I don't know how big your original tub is but you might be better off moving them all in together. They seem to produce better when they are a bit cramped. Make sure that you are offering some fresh fruits to really get them going. Whenever I add oranges or any kind of fresh fruit the whole colony comes alive and gets loud.

3. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

I think the temps are too high. Try for 85 to 90, and about 50% humidity. Been through this and made a lot of mistakes in the beginning. The excess heat may be killing off your nymphs, and it will take more than a month to really get going anyway.

4. dociledragons

dociledragons Member

A month?? give it 90 day b/c a female can only produce twice a month. they need to get accumulated first.

5. gpolkin

gpolkin Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info guys. I did not expect the colony to take off in a month but I did expect dozens of little tiny guys given the number of mature females I started with I literally saw ten or less. Everything I have read said the higher temps would increase breeding but given the side by side results I am beginning to question that. I have heard that density aids breeding but I would think that a population of roughly 150 or so in a tub would get something going.

I am going to drop the temp and see what happens.

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge.

Greg

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Try giving them some halved oranges. That seems to fire them up.