This Disappears When Logged In

New Dragon Owner ^_^

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Chippy, Oct 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chippy

Chippy Member

I have gotten a dragon for my 13th birthday... (Yes i Relise the responsiblity and everything so don't say if i know how expensive its gonna be Im aware and so is my mom ^_^) But anyway.. He has black dots, gray and yellow.. Hes cute. We have no idea how old he is.. He is pretty small but i haven't picked him up yet... Ive been wondering How exactly to pick him up.. If someone can post a picture... also He had pooped and ate 2 crickets. I noticed the poo was long and brown but had white at the end (Looked like a match) He did this twice.. The other one was kinda wet... so ive been told the white = pee? Is that true?

2. wolfwood

wolfwood Elite Member

Congrats on the new dragon!!^_^ Take some pics and post em. I like piccies.^_^

3. Chippy

Chippy Member

Heh i would but.... My Digital camera is crappy T_T and i don't have a scanner

4. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

Congratulations on your new addition :)

Yes the white part of the poop is the wee, and your dragon's toilet habits sound just normal! It can be a little runny or even a different colour if he/she has been eating a lot of veg, but that's nothing to worry about.

Regarding picking him/her up - either put your finger inbetween his front legs and push slightly, and he should crawl up onto your finger, or pick him up by the body, and then place him on your chest or hand (if he is very young and still skittish don't take your hands off him or he will be off!) .. when he gets older you may need to use both hands to pick him up safely.

You have all your tank set up i presume?

Good luck with your new baby. Why not take a look at the care sheet, located in the blue tool bar above? :)

5. Chippy

Chippy Member

My tank has a water bowl (this huge rock thing but he hasen't took a drink yet and yesh i know it raises humidity ^_^ Hes needs it though... On his hot side its only about 95 >_> but now its raising to 100 with the water.(water is in the cool side) Im just scared that ill break something of his :p Ive tried to feed him 2 crix today and he hasen't eaten anything.. hes about 4-6 inches... (i stink at inches) but i we need to get him a UVB light. The petstore has a Reptisun 5.0 in stock so we might get that...

6. metallica50

metallica50 Active Member

i am getting a beardie this week and i have a reptisun 5.0. After reading lots of caresheets and posts on forums it seems that it is the most reccomended UVB bulb.

7. Chippy

Chippy Member

ALso one more question... Do they need Both UVA and UVB? I got a Basking light right now that gives off UVA... and also would i put the Reptisun 5.0 light on the cold side or warm side? I was thinking cold since its florescent and it would give off no heat

8. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Reptisun 5.0 is a good light. The flourescent UVB light bulb also generates UVA. The UVB is the critical light. The tube should go from one end of the tank to the other not just one area. The dragon needs to be exposed to it as much as possible. It also needs to be where the dragon is within 12 inches of the bulb and not fltered thru glass, plastic, or fine mesh screen.

9. Chippy

Chippy Member

Hmm alright so i need to keep the top lid off all day? Ok i can do that. but hmm how would i set it up... Cause i got the Basking light for the hot side and since florecent lights don't generate heat... i need to keep the basking light in... But... how would i grab him then if i need 2?

EDIT: Hehe It just waved ^_^ Ive read about waving but they mostly do it when theres another beardie around.. i was watching him chase his cricket while it ran into his little house... (He never got it) He waved to me then was about to again but then he noticed the cricket and charged at it :p Maybe he was waving at his reflection but it looked like he was lookin at me ^_^

10. MoLdYpOtAtOe

MoLdYpOtAtOe Elite Member

The main source of water should be from misting the beardie greens, and dropping droplets of water above the nose of the beardie. Most beardies don't learn or just forget about drinking form a water bowl.

11. Chippy

Chippy Member

ive tried to drop water on to it... Is he suspose to drink it? Cause he never opens his mouth.. then again hes not tamed yet

12. Merlin

What type of top do you have. I would not leave the tank uncovered unless there was absolutely no way that the beardie could reach the top of the tank or any other animal could get in. If you have a screen top with at least 1/8 inch openings in the mesh it will be fine. You just can't use fine screen like you have on the windows in your home.
    On the basking light. You can use normal home incandescent bulbs for heating. It doesn't have to be the fancy ones from the pet store.
    The arm waving thing is a submission symbol. They do it to other beardies and sometimes at other animals as well as humans. Sort of translates to Hey here I am but I am not going to bother YOU!

Our male never read the manual that says that beardies drink like that . You could pour water on his head all day and he wouldn't open his mouth. They get most of their water from their food. And some of them WILL drink from a bowl. i have seen mine do it once and Venus's do it all the time.

13. MoLdYpOtAtOe

Do very slow drops one or two at a time with a small dropper. They lick it off. Another idea to hydrate the lil one is give it a bath in room temperature water up to his/her shoulders. Tame or not they should be drinking some how.

14. Chippy

Chippy Member

Tis glass for now... Until my step dad makes a tank.. He has no way to get out of the top since tehres no big branches.. Or even one... Yet. We have some drift wood that we bleached (10% bleachor javex*/90% water (*which is bleach right?)) It should be ready soon. Right now we have 5 smooth black rocks but with the basking light on.. They get hot... should i take them out? and maybe get a grey one? But anyway can someone tell me how i should pick him up... I keep trying but he dosen't come on... Ive tried in the previous post but im afraid ill hurt the little one T_T

EDIT: Can i use my finger? I know to wash it off.... :p

15. MoLdYpOtAtOe

I lay may hand out in a flat position and slowly go towards the chest and feet. There by picking him up. Or I use my index finger to go between his arms and pick him up that way.

EDIT: I never said they all don't drink from water bowls. My adult that recently passed away due to my cat used to drink from the water bowl often.

16. Chippy

Chippy Member

Ouch... Poor Beardy.. I don't have any indoor pets but my birdie and fish so im pretty safe

17. venus

venus Founding Member

Congrats on the new addition. That is awesome and you are going to have so much fun
    :p

18. Merlin

Just place your hand in and try to slide your fingers underneath him and gently take hold. If you come swooping down from above and just grab him it will scare him. This is the way a pird of prey would attack and he will relate to it as a predatory action. Baby beardies unless they have been handled from birth tend to be a bit skittish. As time goes on he will mellow out.
    You can make a top from a peice of 1/4 inch hardware cloth and some wood framing

19. MoLdYpOtAtOe

If theres no cover a easy solution is to get a mesh cage lid. They sell here for about $5 for a 50 gallon lid and below.

20. Chippy

Chippy Member

Mines pretty mellow. Dosen't run when i put my hand in the tank... He will chase after his reflection :p Its pretty funny

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.