This Disappears When Logged In

New Custom CWD Enclosure

Discussion in 'General Construction' started by Ace10, Oct 26, 2013.

1. Ace10

Ace10 Active Member

hay guys just a quick update yes i am still working on it hopfully i will finish before i die here is where i am at at the moment

Attached Files:

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, it`s looking o.k so far, I too hope it gets finished before you (and the lizard) die...... If not, it was a nice try, anyway...... ;)

3. Ace10

Ace10 Active Member

Just got back from the Reptile Expo and got me a couple of branches here they are in the enclosure i will be adding a couple of bamboo rods as well

- - - Updated - - -

Why is my pics always show sideways ?

Attached Files:

4. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Because you took it with your phone in a sideways orientation? Thats usually the reason mine is that way.

5. Ace10

Ace10 Active Member

just a quick update started decorating today also glass doors coming in tomorrow straight from the factory it took 10 days to have them made because i ordered tempered glass it ran me $300 for both plates and $45 for the aluminum track the price was more expensive than i thought but what the **** my little guy deserve the best

Attached Files:

6. Ace10

Ace10 Active Member

and here is the guy who made me do all this lol
    IMG-20140130-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20140130-WA0003.jpg

7. Ace10

Ace10 Active Member

Hello everyone

i was wondering whats the best option to add a light for the live plants that i will be putting in there, i do have a 30" hood that i used for uvb can i mount it on top with a plant growth bulb ? do plants need light from a specific distance like reptiles and uvb ? and any suggestions on which bulb i should use ?

thank you very much for your help

Ace

8. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

That would work if you can find a plant bulb in the long tube variety. All the bulbs I have found are the screw end ones which is fine as you can then us it for the basking bulb as well.
    I dont think they need the light from any specifiic distance nor is there any particular brand I can recommend as I just grab whatever ones I can find.

9. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The simplest thing is a two tube fixture with one cool white and one warm white fluorescent tube. Plants need light primarily in the red and blue spectrum. That's why gro-lights are purple. The issue with gro-lights is they are costly and they do not put out that much illumination.
    As far as distance, the lights need to be pretty close to the plants as the light intensity drops off the further away they are. When I was growing indoor Bonsai I kept the lights about 6 inches from the top of the plants.

10. Ace10

Ace10 Active Member

Ok thx for the help guys

11. Ace10

Ace10 Active Member

hi guys here is the finished pictures i will add a more detailed pics later but i thought i would throw these in for now
    20140224_224615.jpg IMG-20140226-WA0003.jpg 20140224_224607.jpg 20140224_224546.jpg

and i have a quick question the bottom of the cage is too cold on top its between 85-82 but on the substrate its 68 what should i do to rise the heat my heat source is a 150w ceramic heat emitter

thanx for your help

12. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Whats the surface temperature of your basking spot?

13. Ace10

Ace10 Active Member

Hi Thalatte thanks for replying

the basking spot is 95-98F i have a 50W flood light on a dimmer oh and if you have experience with this when the lights came on this morning the flood light didnt because its turned down too much i had to turn it up with the dimmer then turn it back down to the desired point how can i fix this ? i was going to change the bulb to my old basking light that i was using in his 40 gal tank

thanks for the help

14. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

With your basking temperatures so high (it should be between 90-94F) I wouldnt look at adding any more lights to the top. Instead you will need to look to add a heating element in the bottom of the cage. Such as a heatpad on a thermostat, radiant heat panel may be a bit overkill but could work, Or bringing a low wattage bulb down low.

15. Ace10

Ace10 Active Member

I like the heatpad idea but how do i place it ? under the supstrate or just stick it on the wall which i dont like by the way

Thanks for the help

16. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Under the substrate is fine. Maybe in some area thats covered in bushes to act as a warm hide for him.

17. OEW

OEW Elite Member

That looks nice! Where did you get those wooden dowels running horizontally and what kind of wood are they? Do you find that the dragon can walk easily on them with the rope?

18. Ace10

Ace10 Active Member

Hi OEM

thank you. they are Bamboo Rods 2" i think and yes the rope helps a lot he does have difficulty gripping on them without the rope

19. Ace10

Ace10 Active Member

ok thank you what do you think of heating cable running under the substrate would that help ?

20. Ace10

Ace10 Active Member

Ok the cage has ben running for a week now and everything seems ok except the humidity level i cant keep the humidity level stable what im using is a mistking misting system which goes on every 4 hours for 2 minutes and i have a humidifier which is running 24/7 just to keep the humidity around 65-70 it goes up to 90% right after misting but it goes down very quickly to 40-50% i think its the sliding doors opening maybe i dont know anyone with a similar enclosure can give me some solutions i would be very appreciated

thank you