This Disappears When Logged In

New Custom CWD Enclosure

Discussion in 'General Construction' started by Ace10, Oct 26, 2013.

1. Ace10

Ace10 Active Member

Hello Everyone before i start i want to say thank you to this forum and everyone in it it has been very helpful i am sure that my water dragon is very happy thanks to all the info i got from here

i am currently working on a new enclosure for my CWD it will be 6H x 6L x 3W with an all glass front and i am confused about the insulation the base which is 2' high will be covered with FRP and the rest with Styrofoam so do i need to seal the wood because i keep reading everywhere that i need to seal the wood but i cant understand why since it won't be in contact with moisture

this is a link to the styrofoam i will be using can anyone tell me if its alright to use because its different than the boards everyone i saw was using

Owens Corning FOAMULAR 1/4 in. x 4 ft. x 50 ft. Fanfold-10UM at The Home Depot

i will be updating this thread with my progress through everything and if you have any advice please don't hesitate to tell me

thank you

Ace

Last edited: Oct 26, 2013
  2. ArmyMedic

ArmyMedic Well-Known Member

Better safe then sorry...A can of sealant cost like 25 bucks and really wouldn't take that much time...would hate to spend All this money n time on Ur cage only to find out A few months later the wood is molding or warping....but that's just my two cents ;)

Good luck on your tank. It's a lot of fun. I just finished mine not to long ago.

3. Ace10

Ace10 Active Member

Its not really about the cost i dont have much time to work with and since the sealant will need alot of time to cure and multiple coats i decided not do it and just make sure i seal it right with styrofoam thanks for replying Armymedic

4. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, if all the joints are properly sealed in the FRP I don`t think it`s necessary to seal the wood behind it, though if you were to use a water based polyurethane varnish (quick drying) you could easily apply 3 or 4 coats in one day, leave for a further 24 hours and it`s ready to be used.
    Edit: Sorry, can`t help with the Styrofoam, I`ve never used it.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
  5. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

You would need to silicone every single joint to make sure no water can get behind the styrofoam and FRP. Also keep in mind that the styrofoam a should be sealed in order to prevent degradation over time or ripping it up from dragon claws.

6. Ace10

Ace10 Active Member

Here is an update on where i am with the enclosure, i made some adjustments on the front design so i will be removing what i build on the front because i thought it would be better to have an all glass front it will be two sliding glass doors ( if you have any thought on this adjustment please share )
    20131027_163238.jpg 20131027_163223.jpg

you guys got me thinking and i went to Lowes today and got me a polyurethane spray so i can seal every inch of that enclosure here is what i bought the guy i spoke with told me its water based and it would work what do you guys think ?
    20131027_163307.jpg

7. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, I like the framework, it looks well put together and strong. The vanish is fine for sealing the wood, you`ll need at least 3 coats. I suspect you won`t get that much from the one spray tin?
    I take it you still intend to use FRP on the bottom and lower sides?

8. Ace10

Ace10 Active Member

Hi Murrindindi

Yes i will be using FRP for the bottom, sides and back wall of the base
    And i actually bought 3 cans of the sealant and i still think it might not be enough ;)

9. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

I used over a gallon of polyurethane when I sealed Tai's old cage. Other than that it is looking great.

10. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Take the spray back and get brush on. It will give you much better results and will cost less.

11. Ace10

Ace10 Active Member

Whats up guys sorry for the late update i actually didn't get to work on the enclosure till yesterday i finished putting in the plywood sheets for the base yesterday and today i sealed the wood with polyurethane spray hopefully tomorrow i will be able to finish putting in the FRP panels and start working on the upper section (WOW i didn't realize it would take this much work LOL), Unfortunately i wont be able to use styrofoam and grout for the back ground since its getting really cold up here in Maine (32F today) and i decided to use FRP panels for the whole enclosure instead.

anyone has any idea on how to make a background on the FRP ? i thought about using water proof wallpaper does anyone have any experience with this ? i think its the same as vinyl wallpaper put i'm not sure

well here is some pics of my progress so far

20131103_192213.jpg 20131103_192227.jpg 20131103_192155.jpg

12. Melb156

Melb156 Active Member

I just finished my enclosure last weekend and I got my background from petbackdrops.com they have a selection of different one and u can send them a picture of one u want also and they will custom make it to you size. They make it out of vinyl and so far it is holding up pretty well for me.

13. Ace10

Ace10 Active Member

Thanks for the info Melb, what is your enclosure made of? because i checked the website it seems the backgrounds are the kind that you stick outside the enclosure and i couldn't find a larger size than 3'x4'

14. Melb156

Melb156 Active Member

I built mine out of plywood. On the back I just stapled the whole piece to it the slapped it back and it worked pretty good. And on the sizing I just emailed them and they made it for me. This is wat it looked like while inward building it. I messed on in telling then dimensions so it came jn side ways. So be very specific on how u want it image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
  15. Ace10

Ace10 Active Member

i did actually email them asking about that but they haven't got back to me on that thank you so much for the help NICE WORK on the enclosure by the way. if you don't mind me asking where did you get the logs from ?

16. Melb156

Melb156 Active Member

Yea I kninda just winged it when I was doing it and it came out pretty good. I got them down at our river it's just drift wood

17. Ace10

Ace10 Active Member

Hello again, this is an up date on the progress of the enclosure it took a while to get here waaay more time than i have anticipated with school and everything its been a challenge keeping on schedule but i am almost done right now i finished putting in the FRP panels on the walls tomorrow hopefully i will start working on the electric wiring wish me luck

Attached Files:

18. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Its looking good.

19. Ace10

Ace10 Active Member

Hello Everyone

Since i am almost done with my enclosure I am starting to make a list of what i need for for it and i have some questions for you awesome members of the HC forum

1- I looked around for a good UVB lights and i went with the new 54 Watt 46" Reptisun T5 HO Lamp from ZooMed this is the link for it http://www.****************/show_product/11442-580152
    i bought 2 of these what is the best way to install them location wise ?

2- I have 2 Zilla UVB hoods that i am using on my current 40Gal i am thinking of mounting them under ledges in the new enclosure would that be an over kill?

3- I need 2 thermostats for the lights and the Ceramic heat emitter which brand do you suggest ? i am thinking zoo med repti-temp ? here is the link Amazon.com: Zoo Med HygroTherm Humidity and Temperature Controller: Pet Supplies

4- for the Substrate i was thinking Dirt and petemoss since i want a Banana tree in there ?

tell me what you think any feedback is greatly appreciated thanks alot

20. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

1. I would put both reptisuns attached to the roof. One I would put all the way in the front of the enclosure and up agains one wall. Then the second one I would put in the very back and against the opposite wall. Does this make sense?

2. if you were to use new uvb bulbs then yes I think it would be too much but if you use the regular flourscent bulbs just for light it should be fine. But keep in mind they still need dark areas to go to to escape the lights if they feel the need to.

3. Those would be fine.

4. this would work just make sure the dirt is certified organic with no added fertilizers. Or you can just use sphagnum peat moss- it has the consistency of dirt and is a good medium for growing plants.