This Disappears When Logged In

new corn

Discussion in 'Corn Snakes' started by godzuki777, Mar 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

Medusa is beautiful! Congratulations. How old is she?

At what age are female corns ready to breed? (I have another 2-3 years to wait before our GTPs are old/big enough!)
    As Merlin said -- "baby steps" -- it'll take me that long to get all the know how and set ups ready (incubator, baby boxes, etc.)!!

2. godzuki777

godzuki777 Elite Member

shes a little older than a year. i was told that most corns can breed in there second spring. my friend has a couple of male corns one is a normal. If i have an amelestic corn what kind of babies might i get?

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Cornsnakes are considered ready to breed by size more than age. A minimum is 3 ft for a female and most are bred at about 2 1/2 to 3 years old.
    With all the genetic intermingling in the various morphs of cornsnakes there is no telling what morphs you will get, but expect to get more than one variety.
    Cornsnake eggs are like Christmas time. You are never quite sure what is coming out of the box!

4. godzuki777

godzuki777 Elite Member

she is just over a year and she is 2ft 4inch. how old should the males be? do i have to hibernate before the mating season? also will she grow in hibernation? do you think that she will be big enough to mate next year?

5. Merlin

Most who breed corns do brumate them to bring on breeding behavior but it is not always necessary,... just seems to have better results. However if the snake is not in tip-top condition they may not survive brumation. Since their temperatures are cooled and they do not feed they don't grow during that time.
    Personally I would give her an extra year. A younger, smaller, snake may breed and lay eggs but they may also experience health problems.

6. godzuki777

godzuki777 Elite Member

ok thanks. ill wait till she is 3.

7. Merlin

Good man!

8. godzuki777

godzuki777 Elite Member

Yeah because I dont want to hurt her. I love her color. when my dad comes back to my house in like a month I'll take more pics. If anyone wants a specific pic either post what you want or send me a PM.

9. Merlin

That's exactly the sort of attitude we like to see!
    The welfare of the animals should always be first consideration.:D

10. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

she's got pretty colors. good luck with her! :)

11. tai_pan1

tai_pan1 Member

Nice looking amel. I too would wait for the 3rd year, and ensure that she is around 300 grams or better. Strictly speaking, if the male is normal and is not het for anything, all of your offspring will be normals that are het for amel. Brumation does several things, it gets both the male and female's biological clocks on the same settings. In this way, they are both ready to breed at the same time. Additionally, it allows the snakes (and the keepers) a rest period that they normally receive in nature. Lastly, it's been shown that corns who are brumated generally have higher fertilization rates of their eggs.

12. Merlin

Agreed. However most of the "normal" phase corns I see offered are actually the result of breeding for another morph and so have a mixed genetic background. In other words they are the "least desirable" of the hatch so they offer them cheaper. Normals are so cheap that hardly anyone breeds to deliberately produce them which is a shame. IMO a good looking normal is far prettier tham many of the other morphs that are offered.

13. godzuki777

godzuki777 Elite Member

im got pics of her eating. im ganna post them soon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.