This Disappears When Logged In

New Breeder

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dp428, Oct 4, 2017.

1. dp428

dp428 Established Member

Hey Everyone, I have had reptiles as a hobby for my entire life. I am not herpetologist or even a zoologist, I am a person passionate about animals (reptiles in particular...obviously) being taken care of. I started with snakes such as, corn snakes, kings snakes, ball pythons, dumerils boa, rosy boa, I even caught a good amount of wild snakes and lizards in my day. I recently switched over to lizards. I currently own a Savannah monitor (3 1/2 yrs old) and a bearded dragon.

My Wife will be a part of this as well to help with feedings, cleaning, regulatory patrols, I will also be hiring 1-2 people in the very beginning to help out.

I have successfully bred leopard geckos when I was about 13yrs old, I am 26 now. I have helped people breed bearded dragons, also I have been around lots of snake farmers to see how they breed but have never done it myself.

I work in the Financial industry as a Banker and my passion for reptiles is always going to be my main priority to work towards. My job allows me to have time early in the morning and at night to take care of these animals. I am an early riser for my animals and stay up late for them. For me I enjoy this and don't care about the amount of work it will take.

My question is I want to work towards breeding 4 different species,
    1) Corn Snake
    2)Ball Pythons ( I know a few snake farmers who will help me out with this)
    3) Leopard geckos
    4) Unknown

Please help with choosing a 4th

I would like to have a 4th species to get working on. I of course will make sure all environments will be set-up before I purchase the animals and have the proper incubation set-ups. I have done lots of research on websites and even quite a few books mainly on leopard gecko breeding. Also the countless amount of videos on youtube, tbh its usually Brian Barczyk, but that doesn't mean I am only watching him. But I do like his methods on a lot of topics

Please provide with the literature you have used for breeding on those 3 in particular

Also any additional questions to help with my business plan, and above all questions to ensure that the animals will always be the top priority. I will never sacrifice an animal for money, Ill take the debt.

Thank you for all your help,

Herpcenter iv been with you for a while but not nearly long enough, You guy always come in with great input I know your main care is for the animal and I want ensure I uphold that rule.

I will not start breeding until I have everything completely set-up and ensure that I have the proper help necessary to do this correctly.

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, if you want to breed a species that has rarely been bred with any regularity why not try the Savannah monitor?
    I hope you haven`t taken advise from Brian Barczyk regarding the captive care of varanids!?

Qwerty3159 likes this.
  3. dp428

dp428 Established Member

As far savannahs go that was definitely an option but I'm torn between how many of the savannahs die each year because of people not having suitable environments.

But that definitely is a possibility mainly because of the resources I have and I can choose who I sell to. So if I don't think they are a suitable candidate I can just say no. Definitely something to think about.

honestly my goal for the future of the business is to also do enclosures, something like CagesbyDesign but not nearly as expensive. Also I have a made a few that can be assembled by people as long as you have a drill, and caulking. but this would be atleast 7yrs down the road

as far a Brian goes,

Like the no substrate in the beginning and housing multiple monitors together? Yea I wont be doing anything like that.

I take his information with a grain of salt, he definitely states that he is not herpetologist or zoologist. I understand the business aspect behind it but you need to make sure they are living in an environment from which they originated from at an early age otherwise you starting the animal off in a weakened stage of life.

I think of it like altitude sickness tbh, when they aren't in their environment they are slowly dying, some will wither faster then others but essentially the environment is the most important part...its the reason they lived there in the first place lol

4. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

If those are the 3 you are working with I'm assuming you plan on getting into the morphs as well? The natural progression for a 4th would be crested geckos or western hognose in my opinion, both are well established, and have a wide variety of morphs like your other choices. Not sure if you are looking for something different for a 4th though...
    I also like the Savannah Monitor idea, but you may have trouble with the market flooded as it is with wc imports.

5. Brian brandon

Brian brandon New Member

Let me see if I get this straight man has successfully bread the most massive and amazing creatures man has known the killer whale and yet you can't get a lizard to breed something ain't right

6. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, providing the captive conditions are even relatively supportive animals are likely to breed (including the Orca) getting them to do that repeatedly and with the same parents over long time periods is not that common, many (most?) females die from reproductive failure long before their time.....

7. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

For the record a lot if not the majority of captive orca breeding is done through artificial insemination.

8. Brian brandon

Brian brandon New Member

There been 25 captive-born orcas in the US impregnating is the easy part getting a killer whale female to act like a killer whale female inside of a swimming pool is the amazing part

9. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

In what sense are they acting like a wild female Orca confined in such a tiny space?

10. Brian brandon

Brian brandon New Member

I think that's the point I was making. Even under such extreme awful conditions orcas continue to have some sort of Natural Animal Instinct in rearing their young you would think they would for one not even be able to give birth inside of a swimming pool and two after giving birth inside of a swimming pool with neglect their young

11. dp428

dp428 Established Member

So not that I dislike orcas but im looking for help on reptiles not so much sea life. So please share your ideas if you anything the add on reptiles, and maybe open up a separate forum for the Orcas. :)

Unless this ties into something I should know, in which case please let me know how it ties together.

To be honest Brian Brandon I don't know why you put that comment up in the first place, heh. but I mean explain if it has relevance to me.

12. AmityReptiles

I would agree I have no idea how we got on this topic.
    Breeding cold blooded reptiles have no correlation to breeding warm blooded marine mammals whatsoever... seems like wasteful posting to me.
    I'm sure the OP would appreciate some real advice for his effort in creating a thread, rather than have it taken over by a discussion of orcas of all things.

To the OP: how many breeder animals will you be keeping? Have you thought about how you are going to sell them, or do you have any experience selling/shipping reptiles? Many of the large breeders today started with a rack or two, and just let things take the natural course. Usually refining the animals over time to keep only the best quality and best morphs for their breeding stock.

13. dp428

dp428 Established Member

The very first snake I will start to breed is the Ball python, I am thinking of starting with an albino morph-female. not sure for the male yet.

Also will go with leopard geckos not sure on the morph yet still finishing up some research. I am not going to rush this because again I want to ensure the reptiles will be well taken care of.

Im going to a snake farm this weekend to check out a variety of ball pythons.

But yea I wasn't going to start with a huge inventory in the beginning I will start with probably 3-4 ball pythons,
    and 4-6 leopard geckos. once I have that down I will add to those, and work on corn snakes after. Id like everything to be as natural as possible.

I don't have shipping experience, so I definitely would like help with that. I would like to use a website but I will look at distribution companies but I think that will be too expensive in the beginning.

One main thing that I know might cause a bit of an issue is. I cant kill a mouse or a rat so breeding them is a no can do, and im not going to feed them live prey. Any good websites I can get mice/rats in bulk.

Insects for the geckos I will breed dubias and superworms.

Can corn snakes or ball pythons have full grown dubias? I don't think ball pythons would rlly want it but maybe a corn snake.

14. AmityReptiles

No most snakes have to be on rodents only.
    For frozen mice or rats in bulk, my favorite is RodentPro.
    For shipping alot of breeders use shipyourreptiles.com, and I have had good experiences with them as well.
    For selling I suggest kingsnake.com, faunaclassifieds, and morphmarket in that order.
    Both superworms and dubias are fairly easy to breed, I suggest starting your own colonies of those.
    As far as morphs go, I suggest starting with something versatile, a gene that combos well with other genes. For ball pythons there is clown, pied, enchi, fire, and pastel just to name a few. You don't want to get stuck with a leucistic ball python with no where to go from there. Unless you do, which is fine. Lucy's are beautiful by themselves.

15. dp428

dp428 Established Member

Hey all just wanted to throw up an update. I will be going into ball pythons only for the beginning part of what I want to do.

I will be getting 12 pythons, 2 males and 10 females, plus an extra male that my buddy has (coral glow pied!) in the coming weeks. I will have 1 snake rack and 1 rat rack.

I will be getting everything from Freedom Breeders if any of you have heard of them. I am friends with the owners and will getting lots of help from them getting started. I am super excited, if you know the name Freedom Breeder then you know your getting the correct genes they actually were one the first to get/create the spider design