This Disappears When Logged In

New Boa!! What Should I Watch For??

Discussion in 'Common/Red Tail Boa' started by Hkg, May 4, 2014.

1. Hkg

Hkg Elite Member

I just got a new boa!!! I was told he was a sunglow, then they said they didn't know if that was true. Then I was told it was a male. Then my mom asked the lady and my mom thinks she said female. These people didn't know much about him. His cage is probably 3'x2'x2' (length x width x height ) he is about 4 feet in length if I had to guess. I don't know how much he weighed. I handled him rather briefly cause I just wanted to get him from him box to the cage. When I put him in the cage, he I put him by the water dish, and he got a drink for a while. He's missing and eye from the owner before last feeding live and it clawed his eye, and the side with no eye he puts that nostril under water and drinks, then he put both under water. The water bowl isn't deep or anything. It's just temporary from what I had extra from my corn snakes cage. Then he lifted his head up high and stayed there for what seemed like 1 minute but was probably only a few seconds. Then it went down and opened it's mouth real wide like it was yawning. The lady said she hadn't gave it food for a month so he wasn't popping his jaw back I don't think. I know I'm over reacting. It's just because it's a new snake, and I don't know what to look for. So what should I look for? He's just sitting where I put him watching me. And I know your not suppose to bother them cause he's stressed out and irritated. That's why he hissed at me and kinda opened his mouth a little while I was putting the glass on the cage. He also flicks his tongue really slow which if I can remember correctly is a sign they are annoyed and mad. Correct? So here are my questions to make sure everything is okay right now. How open should his mouth be for me to get worried about ri or stuff like that? I don't think he has ri because I here no noises when he breathes but I'm just wondering to be safe. And if he does happen to be a snake with a temper how can I settle him down. I understand he is irritated now because he was just in a dark box for a hour or so on a sometimes bumpy drive. I'm use to a 3 foot corn snake who never bites or hisses and loves to be held. Not a heavy 4 foot snake that is mad at me. And please don't say I can't handle caring for this snake. I have researched this snakes a lot!! And I know 100% that I can care for this snake. I'm just worried about things. Like a new mother would be when she takes her new born home. She doesn't know what is normal with him. That's how I am.
    Haha. In a couple days or soo I'll post a new thread introducing him once she settled down. Anything info helps. I have been wanting this snake for the past 4 years of reptile researching I have done. Now I have him!!! I paid $200 for him an his cage.
    image.jpg

2. kaathepython

kaathepython New Member

When one Mojave Ball Python I had got a RI he "star gazed" where he would look up at the ceiling and kind of move his head. He also had abnormal rapid breathing. I added an extra heat lamp on his cage and left him be, and he eventually stopped. He's probably really stressed out and confused. I would stop staring at him and just check on him periodically. Lol. Don't handle him for a couple days so he can get as comfortable as he can be. And then just observe him. I've never heard of the tongue thing so if that's true that's good to know! Good luck!

3. Hkg

Hkg Elite Member

UPDATE: I got him a lock for the glass doors heat lights and wire to cover them, and a pretty big water dish. So far he didn't move and just had his head in the corner of the cage with the no eye side pointed out. I think he was trying to hide. And I stopped watching him. Haha. I left for a couple hours and when I came back he was still how he was when I left. But after I put in the new water tub I left and came back and he was exploring. I'm mainly scared of him drowning himself. The water isn't deep. But the way he drinks (both nostrils under water) scares me a lot for some reason. Other than that I think he's fine. I got a medium rat for him. I think it's not the biggest he can go but well see in about a week or two when I feed him. I keep y'all updated.

4. Hkg

Hkg Elite Member

I'm not 100% sure about the tongue thing. I just think that's what I've heard. It's probably false.

5. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

They pop thier mouths often. Not a big deal. Him opening his mouth is not a sign of RI. Watch for foaming or bubbles in the mouth, listen for wheezing. Make sure you have temps correct. Make sure your temps and humidity are 100% correct using digital thermometers and hygrometers. They are much more susceptible to sickness from temps and humidity that are 'off'. A month in between feedings is nothing, I have one that has went all winter without food. It's perfectly normal, not a big deal.

The main thing you need to do, is watch for sickness (ri, scale rot, etc), keep him in a low traffic area (example, not in a room where a lot of people are constantly in and out), get his temps 100% correct, and leave him alone for a week or two!!!

He will get much bigger. You'll need a larger cage soon. Just FYI. They can get up to 8 feet or larger and quite heavy.

6. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

The tongue thing is not true. Flicking tongues is not a sign of irritation.

7. Hkg

Hkg Elite Member

Yeah. That's what I thought. But I wasn't 100% sure. It was like 3 years ago from I don't remember who.