This Disappears When Logged In

New Boa is Acting Werid

Discussion in 'Common/Red Tail Boa' started by DSBoots, Mar 29, 2014.

1. DSBoots

DSBoots Well-Known Member

New Boa is Acting Weird

I received this boa from a friend of mine for free (He was trying to get out of breeding snakes at the time.) The moment that I got her, I knew she was sick. She was thin and had a respiratory infection so I started her on Baytril injections. She weighs roughly a pound and a half so I'm giving her a tenth of a CC every day. Her temps are correct all the way around, I'm using a forest bark substrate, a pad for heating one side (around 88 degrees) and an infared bulb for the cool side (78 degrees.)
    So heres my real concern. When I pick her up, she acts really weird. Shes not calm at all, and she FRANTICALLY tries to wrap around ANYTHING, often jerking and slinging around until she can wrap around my arm/hand/anything. Before I take her to a vet, I would like some input on this. Do Motley Boas usually have this problem, or is it just abnormal?

Last edited: Mar 29, 2014
  2. CrazySnakeLady

CrazySnakeLady Elite Member

As long as she's not doing it while in the tank or after she finally gets a good hold it just seems like nervousness. The one I had did the same thing when she didn't have a firm grip. She doesn't feel secure and about to fall. Is there any other odd behavior at other times? Hope that helped a bit.

3. DSBoots

Not really, no. Ive had her for two weeks now, and my guess is the guy who had her for awhile neglected her and kept her way too cold. The only problem im having is her not eating, but im 99 percent sure that its because of the RI. Shes gained a bit of weight (she was skin and bones when i got her.) I know its not good, but Ive forcefed her twice now because she refuses to take interest in rats/mice. Ive tried F/t, prekilled, live, brained, scented, ect. Im really hoping that once these shots are done, she'll be healthy again. Shes the absolute sweetest boa, so I'm excited to have her.

4. CrazySnakeLady

Can you post some pictures? Yes, you're most likely correct it's the RI making her not want to eat, but I don't suggest force feeding. I know it seems like the right thing to do but you're stressing her out a lot more this way for being with you with for 2 weeks. She can go a while without eating and most likely pack them in when she's back to health. I know it's hard! But to your original question, it just sounds like a nervous snake not used to handling. Just be glad she isn't nipping! Glad your excited to have her and get her well again :)

5. DSBoots

1403316_650767991625915_156970106_o.jpg
    1421315_650767814959266_1181200000_o.jpg
    1973414_650767864959261_1718053754_o.jpg
    10015112_650767904959257_59307963_o.jpg

If there are any more angles you want, let me know. I know forcefeeding is extremely stressful, but at the point she was at, i felt the benefits were necessary. I forced 3 hoppers both times, just to try to get some energy into her.

6. CrazySnakeLady

Oh my goodness she is gorgeous! Jealous! :) She doesn't need force feeding anymore. Her set up looks pretty good though you'll want to look into getting a bigger water bowl. Is there any other concerns you have with her? You're doing awesome though. Please keep us updated

7. DSBoots

I did notice that when i set her down to take a few pics, her tail was kinda shaky/twitchy. Just the last few inches though. Possibly having to do with trying to wrap around something. It didnt seem like anything major. Thank you by the way. Of all the snakes I've had/have she's had the best personality and I have a feeling she's gonna be a complete sweetheart when shes healthy again :D

8. CrazySnakeLady

The rescues usually have the best personalities :) she's just nervous and will learn to trust you. Keep up the good work!

9. DSBoots

I appreciate the help, a lot. Thank you so much, and ill keep things updated with her. Im gonna try to feed her a small rat tomorrow (no force feeding) and Ill let you guys know how she does. Im on day 6 of Baytril, and she's really looking 100x's better since when I got her.

10. EriksExotics

EriksExotics Elite Member

Just a few things... I would switch her to newspaper until the RI goes away so she isn't in contact with any sort of dust or anything. That boa constrictor Imperator is a morph called a Motley (You just got a $300 snake for free, btw). She is not that underweight and *looks* to be overall healthy. The reason that the boa freaks out when you try and hold her is because she was probably handled almost never if she was originally meant to breed. all of my adults that i bought that were meant to be breeders were not used to people a lot. Just handle her at least once a week and she'll get used to you with time.

Do not stress feeding since she isn't tiny or anything. If she refuses food, wait 3-4 weeks and try again. Waiting that long will ensure that she's hungry and ready to eat. After she is eating normally, you can put her on a normal 2-3 week schedule.

Super Motley BCIs all die around the age of two years, if they make it that long but Motleys are not known for any type of issues like that (generally). You've got a very gorgeous animal there and she just needs some TLC and she'll be a healthy, "tame" pet in no time.

11. DSBoots

Alrighty. Ill definitely take the advice and see where it goes from there. From the information I received when I got her, she's anywhere from 1 to 1 1/2 year old. The guy also hooked me up with an albino male and granite female burmese pythons. Both het for albino, granite, and labyrinth :D

12. EriksExotics

Sounds kind of sketchy that he's giving away a Motley BCI and two high end Burms for free. Don't get excited until you're sure they're all healthy.

13. BoaBoyKD

BoaBoyKD Active Member

I've had my hypo bci since she was a month old and she is now about 1yr 2m. She is always twitchy when I first take her out her tank. Then after about 5 to 10 minutes she's fine. Like everybody else says, just put some handling time in with her to get her familiar with you. The wiggling when it comes out the tank might not stop but she'll def get used to being handled. Also when my bci got RI it was still at a early stage so I just used a container big enough for her to fit in, some moist paper towels at the bottom, and some type of heat source to steam the container up with. Then I let her sit in there for about 20-30 min a day until it went away... Good luck with your beautiful motley.

14. DSBoots

I knew the guy personally. He's one of my girlfriend's best friends. He had a clutch and he let me have two burms after they ate the first time. The story behind the boa was the the breeder sold it to someone who didnt really know how to take care of her. I called him yesterday and apparently she been sick for a long time. I tried to feed her last night, but she didnt take. I did notice alot more action with he tongue and she's becoming a bit more inquisitive. I think this is working pretty well.

15. DSBoots

Alright. Ill give this a shot. Ill probably put a bit of vicks vapor rub and a drop or two of eucalyptus oil and see if that'll help a bit.

16. EriksExotics

Pictures are mandatory! ;) I'd love to see them at some point!

17. DSBoots

Ive got pictures of all my snakes on my profile :D.

18. DSBoots

One more question. If this Baytril doesnt quite rid the infection completely, what other antibiotics could I consider using? My mother's a vet tech and I have access to most antibiotics.

19. EriksExotics

Depends on if it's a gram negative or gram positive.

Clindamvcin gave my BCI an allergic reaction type thing but you can try that. If that doesn't work and your mom is a vet tech, I'm sure she could help.

20. DSBoots

Yep. She got me the Baytril and showed me how to give the subcutaneous injection. She said I may want to try penicillin, but she wasnt sure if snakes could handle it.