This Disappears When Logged In

New Boa - Have a Few Questions/concerns

Discussion in 'Common/Red Tail Boa' started by CTU2fan, Dec 22, 2014.

1. CTU2fan

CTU2fan Elite Member

So I picked up my boa yesterday. He's 2 years old and probably 5.5-6 feet long, and thick. He came with a 40 breeder so that's what he's in for the time being (I have some 4x2 AP cages on the way). I've got a Fluker mat going and his temps are 90 on the warm end, 93 right on the mat (this is with my thermometer's probe, I don't have my tempgun yet), and 80 on the cool side (my room temp is 78 so the cool end isn't really being effected by the heat at all). Humidity is 60%. Here's my questions:

He's been on newspaper. I know it's easy and a lot of people use it, I've used it in the past. But is there any problem switching to coir (coco fiber)? It just looks better, and is probably better on humidity. I mean besides the obvious issue of feeding him a wet rat and having him swallow a bunch of it, I know I'd have to avoid that.

He's been eating 2 large rats a week. He's not fat, I mean I'm not seeing skin between the scales or any of that. I'm planning to go back to one rat a week, seems like a bit healthier but I'm open to thoughts.

He's been soaking - a lot. As in he got in the water sometime last night and he's been in most of the day, so he's heading toward 24 hours in the water. I had his water on the cool end and I was thinking maybe he wanted to be on the cool end so being in the water was easier, so I moved it to the middle but he's still hanging out in there. He ate on Saturday a few hours before I got him, not sure if that might be it. Also he doesn't look to be heading for a shed, some of my snakes used to soak at shedding time.

This guy was very well taken care of, I definitely want to continue that.

2. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Nothing wrong with switching to cocnut fiber, and it won't hurt if he swallows some. As for feeding, back off to 1or 2 items every 2 weeks, boas don't need to eat every week. Post a picture if you can, that way we can take a peek at it's body condition to get a better idea of where it's at weight wise.

3. CTU2fan

CTU2fan Elite Member

I will put a pic up in a bit.

Woke up this morning to a regurged rat. I know it happens, and I assume moving him and letting him get a little cool (not cold, this is Florida, but not warm either) is the reason why. But I've never had it happen personally, and it wasn't pretty. But he is hanging out on his hot spot now at least.

4. CTU2fan

CTU2fan Elite Member

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

If the temps are too cool, they will kick the rat back up since it will not digest and would rot in the stomach. Wait a couple of weeks before feeding again.

6. CTU2fan

CTU2fan Elite Member

OK I'm sure that was why, he's very active now and acting like other boas I've taken care of in the past. He's liable to get hungry but he's thick, it won't hurt him to go a few weeks without.

7. CTU2fan

CTU2fan Elite Member

OK he's going into shed, his eyes are clouded over now. I'll probably feed him once he sheds.

8. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

coco-fiber (and select other substrates) are fine. A little bit swallowed will just pass through as long as your snake is digesting properly.

If you are really worried about him eating it, you can always feed in a separate bin, or create a feeding area for him, where he is less likely to swallow the stuff. A large tile or plate works well, but a shallow plastic tub would work too. Just a place to put the rat where it won't be laying in the substrate.

I am assuming you are feeding F/T?

9. CTU2fan

CTU2fan Elite Member

I am feeding F/T, apparently he has only eaten live 3 times. But between him regurgitating the rat he ate the day I picked him up and now looking like he's going to shed I haven't fed him yet.

I did switch over to coco, I like the look of it and I also like being able to mist it and bump the humidity up if I need to. Right now that isn't an issue though, it's sitting at 65%.

10. CTU2fan

CTU2fan Elite Member

And finally I got a nice clean shed, and then a no-fuss feeding, seems like we're doing OK

11. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Progress, right? Glad he is doing well for you.

CTU2fan likes this.
  12. Jedi Biscuit

Jedi Biscuit Member

With regards to you're snake sitting in the water bowl, a lot of boas do soak in their water to assist with digestion and constipation. If he does sit in the water for long periods again then try putting him in some warm water, this will be more effective. My baby red tail loves swimming as well.

13. CTU2fan

CTU2fan Elite Member

Yea, he's not doing it nearly as much since he shed. This guy really has been a pleasure so far, he was well taken care of.

Also his new cage arrived today, waiting for glass doors (shipping separately) and for the sealant to cure.