This Disappears When Logged In

New Boa Constrictor!! Whistle when Breathing? I Need Help I Think.

Discussion in 'Common/Red Tail Boa' started by Hkg, May 11, 2014.

1. Hkg

Hkg Elite Member

Okay let's start off with the positive. I got a boa constrictor!!! So I'm gonna introduce him! If you have seen my other posts you'll know that when I bought it I was told it was a sunglow. But I asked some friends of mine and they have told me other possible morphs like sunglow super stripe and things like that. He has one eye because the right one was Claud out by live feeding. I got him on Sunday May 4 2014. So I've only had him a week. Pretty cool snake. I've been letting him settle down till today. I ordered a hide box, a new ceramic heat emitter, a new thermometer/hydrometer, and a new temp controller. So that arrived today. So I decided to feed him sense he hasn't been fed in over a month. He didn't take the rat which I was kinda worried and upset about. But I know boas sometimes won't eat and he's probably really stressed out. So I refroze that. I was handling him a little bit just to see if everything was okay and put him back in his cage when I noticed when he would breathe (I don't know if it was inhale or exhale (probably exhale)) there would be a little whistle. Instantly I though RI! I'm soo upset about that possibility. I think it's definitely possible he has it. The last owner didn't take great care of him. I don't think he had a hide box or anything in his cage, the light I think he had was just a normal house light so not much heat, and I doubt they had humidity. I could be wrong though... Now here's the thing... I don't have a herp vet anywhere close to where I live. And I'm 15 so I don't have thousands of dollars. I woul be willing to pay a lot of money to get him nice and healthy again. I already have 350 if not more into him. I don't really trust the vets around me. I don't want to have them give me some "meds" that just end up killing him. I love him to death already and want him to live a long happy healthy life. I upped the temp. And the humidity is the same. I'll keep looking for a vet. I wish I was older, I plan on going to college to be some kind of herpetologist or herp vet. But anyways. I don't see any mucus or anything around his mouth or nostrils. The sign I notice is the whistle.
    I'll upload more photos later.
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

Last edited: May 11, 2014
  2. CrazySnakeLady

CrazySnakeLady Elite Member

Okay, just saying, you're awesome! I'm the same age and so want snakes like this, especially as gorgeous as him, but Mom says nothing over 6 feet. He is beautiful. From my experience with boas (I foster for a rescue), the girl I had started with a small whistle from day 1 which slowly increased over the months I had her. I don't have experience with medicine or dosages, but the rescue gave her Baytril when I finally got her back. She's now doing awesome. So if more experienced owners come on, hopefully they will help more.

I also would like to say that it could be other things, considering he's a rescue. One thing I notice in the third picture is his eyes. They don't look clear. Have you addressed this? So from that, he may have shed/dust issues from improper care before. Just monitor him closely and if it does increase, you really should get to a vet. We can't do much else than guess.

Hopefully he is okay and it's nothing more than good conditions can fix. Again, you're awesome! Haha :)

3. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

Baytril injections. However you can only get it from a vet, a reptile vet.

I had a large burmese that had a ri, shots of baytril and he was cleared up. I was also in a rescue and they already had orders from the vet for these kinda of things. Increase the heat by 5 degrees or so. Watch for other signs really really really closely if you don't want to take him right away since there is no mucus yet, it looks like it's really early stages. He may pull out but you have to increase temps to help his immune system.

Good news, it won't cost 350.00 to get this done at a reptile vet. Not even close to that amount. Maybe you would have to pay for gas to have someone drive you?

Good news, a RI is a common occurrence for a reptile vet and is treated easily with medications. Don't worry about not eating, as they can go months without food. Don't be alarmed if he doesn't eat until it's cleared up. It's normal.

I drive 45 minutes to a reptile vet, and that's with no traffic delays lol.

4. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

If you hear that sound again, or see any other signs a vet will be needed though.

5. Hkg

Hkg Elite Member

His right eye is messed up. I was told it was clawed out but it's definitely still in his head. But it is blind on the right side. It happened like 4 years ago I was told. And thanks! Your awesome too! I really wish I could help out at a real real rescues or breeding facility. There's none that I know around me. I try to run a rescue because their are TONS of reflected boas and burms on Craigslist around me. But my parents say no more than 2 snakes in the house. So I'm working on convincing them other wise. Haha. And thank you for your info! I have no real reptile vets close to because I guess the people here feel no need for one. The closest one I think is like over 7 hours away. But I'm gonna call all the ones in neighboring states and work something out.

6. Hkg

Hkg Elite Member

I hear the noise every time I take him out of his enclosure. But here is the problem, I have no reptile vet near me. Closest one is over 7 hours away. I don't mind traveling and paying for that. But my parents won't do that. So I'm gonna call all the experienced reptile vets in the neighboring states and see what I can work out. I will for sure see one though. I also noticed he doesn't move a whole lot.. I don't know if this is normal because I'm use to a corn snake that moves a lot. Thank you for your reply!

7. CrazySnakeLady

CrazySnakeLady Elite Member

I do believe you'd hit a dead end because of the Lacey Act. You can't transport the big guy legally over state lines. Thanks for letting me know about the eye. With where you're stuck at, your best bet is to monitor and make sure you have the right temperature and humidity and hope. Make sure it is an RI before you start panicking. If things get obviously bad, your parents may change their minds. And I know the struggle over finding rescues, mine is 2 - 4 hours away, depending on traffic.

8. Hkg

Hkg Elite Member

Yeah. I actually found somebody that can help in my state. They are a little ways away, but they are a herp vet. I am scheduling a appointment tomorrow morning. First thing.