This Disappears When Logged In

New Baby!

Discussion in 'Common/Red Tail Boa' started by annaj328, Feb 1, 2016.

1. annaj328

annaj328 Elite Member

So I had a ball and a JCP a few years ago. They were awesome but if I'm honest the JCP was a bit too much snake for me. Anyway, I got married and moved away so rehomed them both. Fast forward three years and I'm living in Baltimore with Hubby and we happen upon a reptile expo. We go in just to look around. See a bunch of beautiful, dark, central American boas. Decide to hold one that really cought my eye with perfect circles down his back and a peach colored tail. This snake is awesome. He's totally chill, just cruzing around. Breeder tells me his mother is pure Nicaraguan and that he will likely top out under 5ft. Wow, I think, that's super managable! So I turn to hubs and jokingly ask "so should we get him?" Hubby doesn't answer, just goes silent, which isn't a no. I should tell you, I am definitely the impulsive one and he is mister responsible. I promise, I, the reptile lover, am not the one who decided to buy this snake. It was my super practical, new to reptiles husband.

So apart from wanting to brag about my new baby, I actually have some questions as this is my first boa. Will he really stay that small? I definitely plan on feeding him appropriately and if he's over 5 ft in several years that's no biggie. I'm just curious.
    He is about 2ish feet long right now. I was told hes 8-9months old. He is in a 10gal for now with a temp range of 90-79. Have plans to buy a 55gal from a friend later this week. He has hides and a big stick to climb on and a water bowl on the warm side.
    I just got him yesterday and the breeder said he ate last on Monday (a week ago). Should I try to feed him tomorrow or wait?
    Should I move him into the bigger tank or wait? Breeder said he would be happy in there (small tank) for 6 months. Idk how fast they grow.
    Any other advice is greatly appreciated. Sorry for the long story :)
    IMG_20160131_161524829_HDR.jpg IMG_20160131_163155543_HDR.jpg

2. annaj328

annaj328 Elite Member

Oh! His name is Santiago. He'll grow into it.

3. toddnbecka

toddnbecka Well Established Member

Very pretty little boa, gratz on the pickup.
    Snakes pretty much grow according to how much/often they're fed. For the first year once weekly, then space the feeding out to 10 days. If fed more the snake will grow a bit larger more quickly, but particularly with boas that isn't the best way to manage them. They have a very slow metabolism.
    A 10 gallon tank doesn't allow much room for a proper temperature gradient. Much better option is a larger plastic tub, drill some holes around the sides for ventilation and it will maintain the necessary humidity much better than a glass tank with a screen top. Also cheap to buy and easy to clean.

4. annaj328

annaj328 Elite Member

Thanks for the tips. Currently the temps are ok and being closely monitored. I will be picking up a 55gal set up on Sunday. My main question is if I should move him right away or give him a few more weeks to settle in? I don't wanna stress him out.

He did eat last night! I'm super proud of him. We put him in a shoe box and offered him a warm f/t mouse and he seemed to panic. He struck at it several times and hissed loudly. In the end I secured the shoe box and left him alone for 20ish minutes and he ate. Hopefully next week he will be calmer about it and I'll actually get to see him eat.

So should I move him this weekend or let him settle in more? Also, if anyone has pictures of adult male central American boas I would love to see them!

5. Yonoi

Yonoi Member

I have no experience or advice to offer, but I just want to say he's beautiful! Also, I love the name you have picked for him.

6. annaj328

annaj328 Elite Member

Why thank you!

7. annaj328

annaj328 Elite Member

So here's a picture of Santiago in his set up! Look at that peachy tail! Pardon the face wipe box. Only have one real hide at the moment but i though he might like some coverage on the warm side. IMG_20160203_213144761.jpg

8. Noodlesmum

Noodlesmum New Member

He's awfully pretty!!

9. toddnbecka

I use cypress mulch for my boas substrate, it helps maintain humidity, aspen doesn't. Boas need higher humidity than corn or king snakes, too low will lead to shedding problems and respiratory infections.

10. annaj328

annaj328 Elite Member

Yeah humidity is at 33% at the moment. What should it be? I plan on picking up some moss this weekend and making a humid hide to help. I also mist a few times a day. When I run out of aspen I might switch to eco earth.

11. toddnbecka

Humidity should be 50-60%, difficult to maintain with a screen top. I buy foam board at the dollar store, peel off the paper, and cut it to cover most of the top of the tank to help reduce evaporation.

12. annaj328

annaj328 Elite Member

Good tip thanks! Will the lamp melt the foam though?

13. toddnbecka

I use che's over screen tops, just cut a hole in the foam directly under the heat source. I made fixtures to hold them myself, no domes, just a base to hold the socket for the bulb. You need some area open for air to circulate, but most of the top can be covered that way.