This Disappears When Logged In

New Baby - Brazilian Rainbow Boa

Discussion in 'Rainbow Boas' started by Katsura, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Katsura

Katsura Elite Member

Well, we got another snake to accompany our 2 balls and my new baby carpet, a Brazilian Rainbow Boa! We've been waiting for this specialty shop to get them in for AGES-we requested them several months ago-and they FINALLY got in about a week ago. We were so excited, the guy hadn't even marked the cage yet so we got to choose between two beauties.

It's too small to probe, but I think it's a girl, and my boyfriend thinks (and hopes) it's a guy. Considering as this new Brazilian is technically my boyfriends' snake and not mine, he got to name it. It's name is Sir Francis Drake, or Drake for short. Obviously, if it's a girl, it's going to be re-named (and I'm going to laugh hysterically-can you imagine ALL of our snakes being ladies?).

Anyway, I know these pics are kinda crappy (phone camera, haha) but enjoy!

553614_442139799160206_391826233_n.jpg

In his little feeding tub (we fed him today haha)
    557121_442139529160233_533120727_n.jpg

No, he didn't get injured. He decided to eat his pinky without killing it, and it was kinda a bloody ordeal.
    599932_442139745826878_221887541_n.jpg

418644_442139569160229_979035039_n.jpg

Attached Files:

2. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

Wow, he's a beauty. I love the name!
    BRBs are such good eaters.
    Congratulations! :)

3. skelly98

skelly98 Elite Member

love the snake! and yes, i can totally imagine that, at this moment, all my reptiles are female! :p

4. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Congratulations
    What a little cutie! :x
    I'm sure that we will be seeing lots of photos of Drake as he grows :)

5. schmidt1894

schmidt1894 Elite Member

omg!!! i want one!!!! these are on my dream list. once i move out, im so getting one. my mom is scared of snakes, so i cant have one:( but thats so cool!!:) very pretty! how much was he/she if you dont mind me asking?

6. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

Gorgeous.

7. brooksy

brooksy Elite Member

Congrats on the BRB! I am envious of your gorgeous boa

8. rlb706

rlb706 Member

Congrats! Brbs are such beautiful snakes!

9. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

Very nice!!!! She looks great!

10. Katsura

Katsura Elite Member

Thanks everyone! I'm glad you all like him. :D

Hahaha, that's funny. I wouldn't mind it if they were all female, but my boyfriend is very adamant about having at least one male in the group, I can't wait to find out this little guys' gender.

Well, the flat charge for this little one was $200. That's not including tax, or anything else we needed to house him-it was just for the snake itself. Luckily, we already had a cage, hides, and water bowl so all we needed was the thermometers, hydrometer, lamp, and bulb. It came to over $300, I believe. And I feel you on the whole parent thing, my mom refuses to get one and my dad is scared of snakes, aha. They keep trying to tell me a ball python is going to kill the cat, ahaha.

But BRBs are good snakes to have (according to the little experience I've had thus far and based on what I've read, aha). However, if you've never had a snake before I wouldn't recommend them as a first snake. They're not terribly hard to care for, but they can be tricky due to the high levels of humidity needed, their size, and the fact that they're pretty nippy when they're young. My boyfriend has been bitten almost 10 times by then little guy already. But if you can keep the cage at a proper humidity, don't mind a large(r) snake, and don't mind getting bitten at first (luckily baby bites aren't terribly painful), then you should definitely go for it. BRBs are so gorgeous, and they feel really silky, too. Way different than all my pythons.

11. diehardislanders

diehardislanders Elite Member

Congrats! beautiful snake

12. thaboi

thaboi Elite Member

Congrats beautiful snake i'm getting my own BRB next week
    How old is he/she?

13. Katsura

Katsura Elite Member

Thank you! And I would imagine not very old, I don't have an exact date. Maybe a month? And it's a good decision haha :)

14. thaboi

thaboi Elite Member

I was able to fix a good Breeder selling the babies for 60$ also has het babies for 250

15. Katsura

Katsura Elite Member

that's so lucky, I paid over $200 for mine

16. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Can't go wrong with a BRB really, they are such pretty snakes. They are great eaters, so converting him to F/T while he is young should be a breeze. Mine took F/T on my first offer, without me having to do anything funky, or even warm it up to have body heat. It was just a room temp pinky. And that was years ago! She's a big girl now!

17. snakevenom

snakevenom Well-Known Member

ultra cute:">

18. schmidt1894

schmidt1894 Elite Member

so whats the difference? the $60 vs the $250 het babies? im clueless. :)

19. gapeachkatie

gapeachkatie Elite Member

het just means that the animal is able to/most likely to carrier on a specific gene for the morph it should be. Non-het animals are able to give a variety of off-spring looks, while het ones will give you a specific group of possibilities. Het's tend to be more expensive since certain morphs are high in demand and they are guaranteed to give a certain number of their off spring that gene.

At least, that is my understanding of it, I am still not 100% on the whole gene thing.

20. Herpetrator

Herpetrator Active Member

Oh yes. One of these is one my "obtain" list as soon as we move into our house and I get the herp room going. :)