This Disappears When Logged In

New Baby Albino Corn Snake Owner!!

Discussion in 'Corn Snakes' started by aquarles, Feb 13, 2011.

1. aquarles

aquarles Elite Member

I have an under tank heater. I also have a 50 watt day blue light bulb, but she does not like that at all (I think it's the brightness of it).

I was asking about the ceramic heat bulb so she could still get the heat she needs without having the brightness of the light. They come in diff watts and since she's a snow corn, she might need a particular watt.

2. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

So you would be able to plug you UTH and your ceramic heat emitter in that particularthermostat. I would also suggest a thermometer or a temp gun either way. The temp gun is just a point and click.

If your UTH is giving you the proper temps that you need then you don't need a ceramic heat emitter. I keep a ceramic heat emitter as a back up on cool nights, but thats for my bearded dragon who's heat lamp and lights go off at night.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

YOur corn will likely behave as it is for a few weeks, till it gets settled down regardless of the type of heater.

For the size enclosure a corn snake would need I would go with a 100 watt che. But you will have to have it on a thermostat.

A ceramic heat emitter will work just fine. That is what I use for my boas and pythons. The area directly under the unit gets warm.
    The 500R which is what I use, has outlets for two heating devices so that you could plug in both che and uth if you need to.

actually you can with a regular bulb. It will just turn the bulb on and off. Which may get quite annoying!

You can get this unit at the hardware store as well. It measures humidity, but only from the base unit so it will have to be inside the enclosure.
    Buy Acu-Rite 00891 Indoor/Outdoor Digital Thermometer with Indoor Humidity Display | Acu-Rite 00891

4. blueginger

blueginger Elite Member

Congrats on your new white wine, um I mean snake! Neat name choice.

5. mld

Merlin, I did say that you could use both the uth and che with that thermostat!:)
    I don't think she want to use a regular light bulb because her snake seem sensitive to the bright light!:) I also linked her the user manual for that thermostat, so she could read about it.

6. aquarles

aquarles Elite Member

Thanks everyone! For a new snake owner, all this is very new! I am going to go with the ceramic heat emitter and the 500R.

Blueginger you are so clever ;) thanks! I have taken her out again today and let her crawl around through my fingers and on the floor (with great supervison of course!)

Moscato is the perfect snake for me! I could not be happier with her! She seemed a little chilly when I picked her up, but she was cuddled under the cooler side of the tank instead of her warm spot. I'm not sure why, but when I get the thermometer/thermostat gear I will feel much better about her temps.

7. Merlin

We were all there once! ;)

She will feel cool to your touch. Thus the term "coldblooded".
    Your body temperature is 98 degrees, which is warmer than any spot in the tank needs to be.

8. aquarles

aquarles Elite Member

She is such a joy to have. She loves to be close to me and run through and bump her little nose against my fingers :) I never knew how amazing baby corn snakes could be and how quickly you get used to them and bond with them! Even my husband wants me to take her out for him to gander at her.

I will get used to all of this equipment one day. I am planning on feeding her this Thursday. I have never dealt with f/t pinkies before so could someone give me the run though on how to do it.

Thanks!

9. frozflame

frozflame Active Member

It super easy to do! Earlier in the day take the pinkie out of the freeze to let it thaw out. The important thing is to make sure it is completely dethawed! DO NOT microwave! Place it under a heat lamp right before feeding if you want to. If your snake has been fed frozen before, just drop the pinkie in the feeding tank after you place your snake in it. You might need to wiggle the pinkie with feeding tongs if your snake doesn't seem interested at first. Hope this helped!

I usually wait till the pinkie is about half way down the body of the snake before I put mine back in the home tank. I avoid taking mine out of his cage until the "mouse bump" has disappeared. So about two or three days after feeding

10. aquarles

aquarles Elite Member

Yes that is very helpful thanks! I will set it out before going to school and feed her that night. I heard to put it in a plastic bag and put it in the sink to let it thaw out.

11. frozflame

frozflame Active Member

That is if you have to defrost it in a hurry. It's like frozen chicken. if you want to make chicken at night, you take out the chicken breast in the morning and it's ready to go by like 6pm! But if you forget, you put the chicken in some water and let it thaw out that way. I suppose if you are worried about it defrosting all the way you can put it in a baggie under some water. =)

12. aquarles

aquarles Elite Member

Yes, that makes great sense! It will have plenty of time to defrost by the time I leave for school til that night when I feed her, it's just two very small pinkies ;)

I am so excited to see my little Moscato eat for the first time.

13. mld

Good luck on the 1st feeding!:D

14. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

All my snakes are on frozen/thawed mice and they don't seem to care if the food gets wet so I use a tupperware container (snakes only container of course! lol) and just submerge them in the water, changing the water out as needed until they're thawed out. Afterward, I let them soak in warm water for a few minutes so the temps of the mice warm up. Some snakes aren't a fan of wet food though so you can always try and see what works better.

Good luck! :)

15. aquarles

aquarles Elite Member

I will just put 2 pinkies in a separate plastic bag tomorrow morning and let it set out all day until I feed her tomorrow night. I will warm them up with Moscato's heat lamp before I feed them to her.

I am thinking about buying a bulk amount of pinkies online since I heard they can last in the freezer for a long time. Would save me money!

Moscato must be getting used to me because she doesn't hide from me in her substrate anymore. She is content in her hides with her little head poked out to look at me :)

16. aquarles

aquarles Elite Member

17. mld

With that type, the probe can be placed anywhere to check temps and then placed back. I have the same one, the unit itself i keep on the outside of the tank, then I place the cord with the probe where I want it, comes with a suction cup for the cord.

I also have a temp gun and I have checked it against the thermometer and it is very accurate!

18. Merlin

With pinkies I would not leave them out all day. As small as they are, it doesn't take long to thaw and sitting out at room temperature all day will cause them to deteriorate. If you want to do what you are talking about I would just put them in a baggie in the fridge itself and let them slow thaw. Then in the evening you can warm them up and feed them. Or just wait and thaw them in the evening in a cup of warm water.
    Thats the beauty of the one I linked to you earlier. It registers two different temperature areas. It also has a minimum maximum reading that will tell you what the temperatures are doing while you are away or asleep.
    But since you have already ordered it it will be fine. You just have to take the probe and move it around once in a while like Michele said.

19. aquarles

aquarles Elite Member

mld, that's good to know, thanks!

merlin, thanks for letting me know! :)

20. Merlin

No problem! We will try to keep you on track!;)