This Disappears When Logged In

New Baby Albino Corn Snake Owner!!

Discussion in 'Corn Snakes' started by aquarles, Feb 13, 2011.

1. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

They are a type of albino, therefore the pink eyes.;)

Cornsnakes and most other snakes are active in the evenings, early mornings and at night. A very bright light may be disturbing him. Its also very early on in your keeping and you may not see him very much. When mine were small you would think I had a bunch of empty tanks. But as he grows and becomes accustomed to you he will be out more often. Mine are often at the side of the enclosures watching me when I am in the room.

2. aquarles

aquarles Elite Member

She was so funny last night. The second I turned off the light she immediately came out started crawling around (she is VERY fast!!). She was climbing the top of the lid trying to get out I guess, and seems very active. I was going to try to pick her up but it's still early and I didn't want to stress her out, plus I am a little nervous because she is so fast.

I am NOT used to having such a fast snake! LOL Any pointers or tips on how to handle her, and mainly how to pick her up out of her enclosure would be great!

I do believe that this bright light is stressing her out so I am going to see what other light is out there that will still give off the heat she needs without such the brightness.

3. Merlin

just lip your hand under her and pick her up. But be careful. As you have already noticed they are FAST! As she grows and gets used to you they will relax a bit but they will always be squirmy and on the move.
    Infra red bulbs will produce heat with very little light. Ceramic heat emitters produce heat but no light.

4. aquarles

aquarles Elite Member

Thank you! Those are very helpful suggestions. I will definately be making a trip this week to a store to get one or the other.

She hasn't eaten in a wk and a half (that's what the store owner said) so I was going to try to feed her tonight or tomorrow night. I got her Saturday afternoon so that would make it 3 or 4 nights that she has been with me. Is that too early?

I already have her frozen pinkies in the freezer, they are ready when she is :)

5. vega74

vega74 Elite Member

Our snow corn got her first meal with us the day after I brought her home. I have had corns for about 20 years an never had one refuse a meal. An they are fast an very active when handled. My oldest chomper was squirmy when held right up till the day he died at roughly 18 years old.

6. Merlin

I generally recommend waiting for a week before attempting the first feeding. And during that time no handling or messing about in the enclosure to let them settle in. But since all cornsnake morphs have been in captivity since before they were hatched they tend to be a little bit calmer about it. They have even been described as the first domesticated reptile.
    And be sure not to bother her for 2 days after feeding. You might get the pinky back!
    And it will smell horrible!

7. aquarles

aquarles Elite Member

I held Moscato tonight! She was such a sweet heart and did not strike at me or anything. She was very content on wrapping around me and crawling around. I think she likes me ;) I held her for about 20 min and she was just as happy as can be.

I will probably feed her this thursday so that will give her more time to settle in.

Here are her pictures!

Excuse me in the photos...

Attached Files:

8. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

She is gorgeous, thanks for sharing your pictures. Now I can see her:D
    I so glad that your enjoying her!

9. aquarles

aquarles Elite Member

Thanks! Once I can fugure out how to get the flash off my camera, I can get some better pictures.

10. frozflame

frozflame Active Member

I always feed my corn in a seperate tank, it's just easier that way and thus food is never associated with his "home" tank. Do you plan on feeding live or frozen/thawed?

They are a little squirmy, no matter the age!! Today, my Tybalt decided my pant leg looked like a good place to hide and the other day he tried to shove his head in our sofa. They are very quick though. After I take mine out, I always double check to make sure the lid is secured properly. I even have a big piece of 2X4 on top of the lid, even though Tybalt is no where near strong enough to push the lid off. Better safe than sorry!!

And what a gorgeous snake! Did you get it probed so you know it's female?

11. aquarles

aquarles Elite Member

I already have a separate feeding box ready for her! I do NOT want her to think i'm food ;) I have frozen pinkies in my freezer right now. That's what the store owner told me to use and since I don't know anywhere that sells them live, that's what I will be going with. I am thinking about going live when he/she gets big enough for adult mice. I could change my mind though.

I keep one of my heavy school books on top of her lid as well! My husband makes sure of it! lol

I'm not sure if it's a boy or girl since she is too tiny to tell right now, but I just say she since of course that comes naturally to me.

12. mld

13. aquarles

aquarles Elite Member

I have been looking at digital thermometers with probes on them and I was wondering if there is one out there that will measure the humidity too. I don't think corn snakes are as finicky when it comes to humidity, but it would be nice to know the exact temps and humidity incase she gets sick or something and that could be an important part in her behavior.

http://www.pets-warehouse.com/Vpasp/shopexd.asp?id=260053

I found this one, but do not know the site very well. I am also not an expert at snake supplies (which is why I love all of you so dearly much ;) ).

http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog/reptile-supplies/thermometers-thermostats-and-timers/ **and check these two**

http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog...-timers/-/zoo-med-500r-thermostat-with-probe/

14. aquarles

aquarles Elite Member

And thank you mld, I like that article too! I read it once before I got Moscato. It is so much easier to do f/t for us since our nearest pet store is 15-20 min away(that is, that won't cost us an arm and a leg for mice!). My husband doesn't mind having frozen mice in the freezer, so we will probably go with that.

I have never fed a snake f/t before though so if someone could give me a step by step on how this is done I will write it down and keep it on my freezer door ;)

15. mld

16. aquarles

aquarles Elite Member

Thank you! I like the third link that I put up, since it not only measures, but controls the temperature to keep it at what I set it at.

I went to our walmart and they had no idea what I was talking about. Obviously this wasn't walmart's fault, this young guy just didn't know what he was doing.

17. mld

Are you talking about the ReptiTemp 500R?
    Thats not a thermometer, it a thermostat! It is used to plug your heat emitter or under the tank heating pad. I also have one of these, they are great for making sure your heat source doesn't get too hot.

18. aquarles

aquarles Elite Member

Oh, Sorry! I was under the impression it did both! Ok well now I know what I'm working with lol

When I get my ceramic heat emitter, what watt should I use for her since she's a snow corn?

19. mld

Do you use a under the tank heater for your heat source now? if not what are you using for heat? Snakes need belly heat.
    If you have a UTH, you would plug the UTH into the Thermostat, place the probe from the thermostat in the basking spot, which would be in the hot hide on the floor. Then you would set your thermostat to the exact temperature you want using the dial to increase or decrease. Once it is set to where you want it, it will automatically turn the UTH on and off when it gets too cool or too hot.
    Always good to use both of these together.
    FYI you can't plug a light into this type of thermostat!

20. mld