This Disappears When Logged In

New Baby Albino Corn Snake Owner!!

Discussion in 'Corn Snakes' started by aquarles, Feb 13, 2011.

1. aquarles

aquarles Elite Member

Hello everyone!!

I just bought my very first snake yesterday (Saturday) and she is a baby albino corn snake! We named her Moscato after my favorite sweet and bubbly white wine :)

I have done my research on corn snakes but since I am a first time owner I would LOVE and APPRECIATE any advice you can give me on corn snakes!!! Will be posting pictures!!

That night we brought her home she had the most perfect shed I have ever seen, so I think that's a good sign that she is a healthy and happy baby. It did not take her long to shed at all, and I even kept it because it was her first shed and she is my first snake. LOL

In the one picture I tried to take of her the flash was on and since she is white it did not show up good.

In her tank (10 gallon) I have the temperature currently 80F on the hot side, 70F on the cool side, and 20% humidity. As you can see in the pictures she has 2 hides (one on each end) and a water dish. She also has a under tank heat pad and a heat lamp with a 50 watt blue day light bulb. She has repti carpet on the bottom and about 1 and a half inches of aspen bedding on top of that. Since I took the picture I have added another temp to the hot side (that's why you don't see one right now).

Sorry for writing so much I just would love any advice and feedback about how I am doing so far!

Attached Files:

2. frozflame

frozflame Active Member

Congrats! I have a cornsnake and my boyfriend recently purchased one as well! They are fantastic snakes.

3. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Congratulations on your new baby corn, thats a pretty big shed! I would also keep the shed!:p
    I would love to say that she is gorgeous but I can't see her in the pictures, could just be me or my glasses;)

Enjoy your new little family member, you must be just so excited!

4. aquarles

aquarles Elite Member

Thanks! I am very excited! You can't see her in the picture because the flash was on and of course she is very white so you can't see her LOL I will take better ones when I can actually take her out and enjoy her. Not going to for a few days to let her get settled in.

I was nervous about getting a snake that gets longer than 3ft, but she is to tiny right now so I have plenty of time to get her a bigger tank when she needs it (I already have one lined up from a friend so that's nice!)

Are my temps and humidity okay for her?

5. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

6. aquarles

aquarles Elite Member

Thank you Rich! Will start reading it now.

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Cornsnakes are very manageable and no problem to handle even as adults. I frequently suggest them as the best beginners snake.

I would kick your basking spot up to 90 degrees.
    And that type of thermometer is not really very accurate. You need a good digital with a remote probe. That will let you zero in on certain areas of the tank.

You called it an albino but say it is white?
    Sounds more like what is known as a snowcorn.

This is an albino(more properly called an amelanistic)
    DSC01278.jpg
    While this is a snowcorn
    DSC01273.jpg
    Both modeled by my grandaughter so you can see how dangerous they are!

Attached Files:

8. aquarles

aquarles Elite Member

Thank you so much for correcting me! Yes she is a snow corn! I have had trouble getting her temp up to where it needs to be, so I am currently working on that. We had a busy weekend but I WILL be making a trip to a local hardware store or walmart to get that particular digital therm. with a remote probe. I could not remember what they were called but I knew I needed to get something until I could get on the computer and look up the name :)

9. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The brand most of us have is Acurite.

Increase the bulb wattage to 75 to start with and see how it goes.
    And you can use a regular household bulb for heat. You don't have to pay for the fancy petstore bulbs.

10. Knox

Knox Elite Member

Congratulations! After more than 20 yrs of keeping snakes at one time or another, Corns are STILL one of my favorites. I seem to always have one no matter what snakes I go through.

11. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

Congrats on the new baby. :) I also have a snow corn and they are very pretty. It's neat to see how the colors change as they grow older.

12. vega74

vega74 Elite Member

Corns are Awsome first snakes I have had them for a long time. We have a snow corn right now such a beautiful snake.

13. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Thats why I couldn't see her she is camouflaged by the aspen! When she gets settled in you will have to post more pictures against something darker. I'm so excited to see her! I also very excited that you are so happy with her.

Corns are gorgeous, haven't seen one that wasn't!

14. teach920

teach920 Subscribed User Premium Member

Congratulations on your new snake:)..While I can't see what yours looks like, I do know that I really like the way the snow corns look and I look forward to your getting more settled in so that you can take more pictures to post:)

15. aquarles

aquarles Elite Member

Thanks! I can't wait to be able to get her out and play with her and feed her as well, I hope she has a good appetite :)

She does not like the light very much..she only comes out when it is off.. Is this normal for corn snakes or snakes in general?

16. teach920

I know that albino animals in general are very sensitive to light..(I realize that a snowcorn is not an albino, but am thinking genetic wise it also has sensitivity to bright lights??)
    If I were you I would get a nocturnal bulb just to be on the safe side....I use the blue ones for my Albino PacMan frog as well as my albino rosy boa....for higher heat I use the red nighttime bulbs, but most often just use the lower wattage blue ones.)

17. aquarles

aquarles Elite Member

I have a low watt blue day time bulb there right now, but it does seem very bright even to me. Getting a nocturnal bulb and using it during the day would help out with that?

18. teach920

I think it would...I keep the nocturnal lights on 24/7 in my Cresties cage and Albino Pacman's tank...(the "daylight blue" you have now is going to be the same as any regular bulb when it comes to the "brightness" of the light..)

19. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

Congrats! I wish that I could see the snake, but I will wait. Man everybody is getting new pets! lol Must resist, must! Haha

20. KristenNC

KristenNC Elite Member

Congratulations on your new snake!