This Disappears When Logged In

New ATB Set Up.

Discussion in 'Vivariums' started by titus, Mar 4, 2009.

1. titus

titus Elite Member Premium Member

Well everything came in today, yes the post carrier looked at me strange. But after about 1.5 hours of quick set up here it is, my try at a simple natural cage.

Attached Files:

2. venus

venus Founding Member

Looks great, what are you putting in there?

3. titus

The cage is for our Amazon Tree Boa, a small piece of rain forest for our bedroom. A lock was a must with the wife, in her words 'I don't want that one getting out!'. I'm thinking it could use one or two more small plants and a few higher branches. I'll have to see what I can find. I'll get some pictures of him exploring when he decides to come out from behind his plant pot.

4. venus

venus Founding Member

Maybe you can add some ivy along the top and figure out how to make a branch stretch from one side to another.

5. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

I'm sure you could wedge an additional branch across the glass. I have also seen them creatively attached with suction cups. Just drill the ends of the sticks, straighten out the metal hook, and insert the hook into the stick.

:)

6. titus

Thats a great idea, I'll have to see if I can find a good forked branch that would work. I had a strait branch in the smaller cage that he would never use. He liked to drape himself across three forks of a branch most times.

7. caudalis_sa

caudalis_sa Elite Member

Looking good. I hate seeing ATB's wasted in unnatural looking vivs. They are display animals for sure! Good on you!

What are you using for substrate? Something darker would look a bit more natural, just my 2cent. Nice one!

8. MoogleBass

MoogleBass Kittes are so nice! Premium Member

What I did for mounting my branches was this.

Get a set of these
    The Hardware Hut - Product #BMI-1323T-20 - Bainbridge Plastic Closet Rod Supports - Accepts a 1-3/8 in. Rod (Tan)
    Plastic Closet Rod Holders.

Then I got some medium sized suction cups. Took the ring off of it.

Then the hole that is in the holder that is used for the screw to hold it to the wall. I just drilled the hole out bigger.

You have to work a bit to get the suction cup end that had the hook on it, cause you want a nice tight fit for it. Took about a min or so to work it in. It works fine for me. Has held for almost a year that way lol. They do kinda stick out from the wall a little bit but not to bad.

9. titus

I'm using fine chipped beech wood, I agree a darker substrate would look more natural, but no substrate that I can think of matches the properties that this has. It holds up great in wet cages, won't mold, and is well absorbant with out being heavy.

10. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

One of our UK members was using beech chips that were dyed with vegetable dye.

11. titus

I remember seeing that, the large chipped beech doesn't hold up well in wet cages, for some reason the fine chipped does and is a good replacment for aspen thats hard to find here. Theres only one supplier of fine chipped beech right now so choices are limited.

12. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

If you can get food dye there just dye it yourself. ;)

13. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

But then you run the risk of the dye transferring to the snake.
    On the other hand Titus could introduce the new Tie Dye Morph!;)

14. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

Once it's dried and set you could just rinse it well and get all the excess off so it didn't transfer. (couldn't you?) I know easter eggs don't transfer the dye after drying and the dye is safe to eat as some invariably soaks into the egg white threw the shell(so it wouldn't hurt if ingested for some reason). So in my opinion;) easter egg dye would dye the bark and not get everywhere. (just my opinion tho and a little experience from coloring easter eggs with the nieces:p)